Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sorry i dont have pictures for everyone to see exactly what im talking about but my camera just took a dump. I have an HDT-S963 heatsink and i just ordered a vantec tornado to go on it so i can really cool a 955be i have coming. My question is, which way should i face the fan? i can face it down which directly below it is a 5850 and the heatsink for the north bridge. OR i can face it up where its about 4 inches off center from my power supply (my power supply does have a big fan on the bottom pull air) so im not sure which one would be best. the case is a tsunami dream case. thanks for the help!

oh yeah the case has a 120mm pulling air inside and a 120mm on the rear pulling air out with a 92mm on the side pulling air in. is this the best way for this or should i reverse one of the 120's and have them both pushing air out?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,458 Posts
Point the HSF towards the back exhaust fan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,458 Posts
I'd say toward the PSU I guess. The GPU produces its own heat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
I'd say toward the PSU I guess. The GPU produces its own heat
thats what i was thinking also. i know this sound crazy but what if i created a duct straight from the tornado to outside the case somehow? would this be a good option?

after looking side the case i think its just too small to create something like this. inless i pipe it directly into the 120mm fan blowing out.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
Just face it up towards your PSU. The PSU fan is exhaust, and you have a 120mm on the back as exhaust. It'll work just fine that way
.
 

·
Chainsaw noise far off
Joined
·
6,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
Point the HSF towards the back exhaust fan
This.And if you can't get a case or hs/fan that will.If you don't exhaust the heat from the heatsink you're asking for a hot box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post
This.And if you can't get a case or hs/fan that will.If you don't exhaust the heat from the heatsink you're asking for a hot box.
hrm...maybe i better get a different hsf in the future.....

what if i piped all the hot air off the hsf and directed it into the bottom of the power supply where the fan is? any bad side effects that could come from this?
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GMcDougal
View Post

hrm...maybe i better get a different hsf in the future.....

what if i piped all the hot air off the hsf and directed it into the bottom of the power supply where the fan is? any bad side effects that could come from this?

There are no bad side effects as far as heat is concerned.

The air coming off your heatsink isn't hot enough to cause damage to the PSU and trip the OTP.

However, you might want to lower your fan speed to avoid overrunning the PSU fan.

You mention you have a Vantec Tornado, and that's a pretty strong fan so you don't want to send all that pressure into the power supply fan which may potentially get damaged from overrunning.

Other than that, you're safe.

I hear Xigmatek has mounts for AMD so that the heatsink can face toward the rear.
Look for this part called the Crossbow ATI-775 from Xigmatek. It lets you mount it properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

There are no bad side effects as far as heat is concerned.

The air coming off your heatsink isn't hot enough to cause damage to the PSU and trip the OTP.

However, you might want to lower your fan speed to avoid overrunning the PSU fan.

You mention you have a Vantec Tornado, and that's a pretty strong fan so you don't want to send all that pressure into the power supply fan which may potentially get damaged from overrunning.

Other than that, you're safe.

I hear Xigmatek has mounts for AMD so that the heatsink can face toward the rear.
Look for this part called the Crossbow ATI-775 from Xigmatek. It lets you mount it properly.

i did not know that, thanks a ton for the tip!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top