Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't wanna lose anything on my current HDDs nor take the time to backup and format, I decided to use one of my old spare HDDs to reinstall Windows on. The problem is, I have no clue which one will make a better HDD for Windows to run on, as they're both pretty old and I know almost nothing about HDDs.

The choices are (click for specs):

Maxtor D540X-4K

Maxtor D740X-6L

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Your current is SATA vs. ATA133 and it's also 8MB cache vs. 2MB. I would think the difference would be noticeable, but there's only one way to find out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
NuclearCrap,
I think u better get all your stuff that u have in your sata drive into those old spare HDDs and u can mount them any time u want to get anything u got in there.
If I was u, I would have kept all the HDDs mounted in my rig, always working and ready to get anything out from them.
Why should you live your sata HDD in a drawer just cause you are "lazy" to back up the stuff to your old HDDs. It will take you just an hour. I think it's worth it.
Now it's your choice....

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingu View Post
NuclearCrap,
I think u better get all your stuff that u have in your sata drive into those old spare HDDs and u can mount them any time u want to get anything u got in there.
If I was u, I would have kept all the HDDs mounted in my rig, always working and ready to get anything out from them.
Why should you live your sata HDD in a drawer just cause you are "lazy" to back up the stuff to your old HDDs. It will take you just an hour. I think it's worth it.
Now it's your choice....
Why are you assuming that I'm lazy and that I leave my SATAs in my drawer? First, I AM using the 80+160Gb SATAs. Second, I'm not lazy to do so since not everybody has that much free time, and an hour is definitely not enough time, plus I need the computer for some of my school projects. I was only asking if my spare ATAs are good enough for me to run Windows on one of them instead of using my SATA.

I'll just format the ATAs and feed them whatever I need to keep then format my SATA. The only reason I wanna reinstall Windows is because I could not get clean installs for some apps and drivers lately, and yes I've used Driver Cleaner Pro. Thanks for all who helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts