Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been using ubuntu for a few years for my NAS setup but now i wanted to switch over to a MS product.
I got a lot a haddrives and i'm using an Highpoint 2320 raid controller.
I need to switch to MS because there is some software i need to run 24/7 and it only work on MS platform.
There will be max 5 users connected to the system.

Since there are a lot a different Windows, i really wanted to know which one is the best to use.

My harddrive setup will be as follow :

Highpoint 2340 -> 5x1TB RAID 5
-> 3x1TB RAID 5
Onboard -> 4x500GB RAID 5
-> 1x250GB boot drive.

Thanks,

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Well,

If you're only having 5 users then run with windows server 2003/2008 standard. 64bit is always nice as long as you're not spending an excessive amount more. You could consider Small Buisiness edition as well. I think that might be considerably cheaper.

Comps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have a try to 2008 x64. Does it support partition of more than 2TB?

What do you mean with "64bit is always nice as long as you're not spending an excessive amount more" ?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
You might pay more sometimes,

windows server 2008 runs partitions bigger than 2Tb. It runs on a GUID partition table rather than the old MBR partition table.

comps.

P.S Not sure if windows XP will see them as a network drive though.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Most important question is 'what OS does your software need?'

If you need a desktop OS (some products won't install on a server OS) or need either 32 or 64bit then this will dictate your choice heavily.

BTW - XP can see 2TB+ volumes over a network just fine. 32-bit XP can't deal directly with anything larger than 2TB though (64bit XP & Vista/7/Server 2003/8/WHS can).

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
I didn't know xp x64 could without some tweaking.

C

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

I didn't know xp x64 could without some tweaking.

C

support is out of the box as far as I am aware.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
But XP x64 still runs on the old MBR file system, I thought it could only see 1.2Tb drives.

I could be wrong, I just wouldn't count on it personally. I'd like to know if you try though

C

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jammy4041
View Post

Windows Server 2008 r2 64 Bit.

Wow, Just, the reasoning behind that is epic.

Also, which edition of 2008? Don't just put a one liner in with what people have already said.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

View Post

But XP x64 still runs on the old MBR file system, I thought it could only see 1.2Tb drives.

I could be wrong, I just wouldn't count on it personally. I'd like to know if you try though

C

Only Windows for Itanium can boot from GPT, but you can still format and access GPT partitions from other versions.

BTW - WHS does require tweaking to use a GPT volume. All the other versions I mentioned should support GPT natively for storage.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
While I offer no advice as to what is a 'better' NAS server OS, I know that if you have a .edu email address and a registered school, you can get Server2008R2 for free from Dreamspark

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Well, you learn something new every day, But I did put forward the right answer in the first place though, so it wasn't a complete fail. Just a missed part of information.

C

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, you learn something new every day, But I did put forward the right answer in the first place though, so it wasn't a complete fail. Just a missed part of information.

C

well, actually Server 08 (and R2) both still run on MBR partitions also. Only Itanium or EFI-based systems can boot 2008 from a GPT drive...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well is not about booting on a GPT.. Its just that i want to have a large array who is accessible from clients (xp/7)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
Only Windows for Itanium can boot from GPT, but you can still format and access GPT partitions from other versions.

BTW - WHS does require tweaking to use a GPT volume. All the other versions I mentioned should support GPT natively for storage.
Is that the WHSv1 or v2?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts