Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
But 4 sticks will tax the memory controller more. Running that much memory basically screws your overclockability either way you go...

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

But 4 sticks will tax the memory controller more. Running that much memory basically screws your overclockability either way you go...

True.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
... 1 gig would do fine and go with 2x512. 1 gig is what you need for gaming and really anything else.. Can someone tell me what you would need more than 1 gig for?..

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
2x1GB would put less strain on the memory controller but 1GB modules have very poor latencies and I've never seen nor heard them to be very overclockable. To run dual channel you need at least 2 modules of similar speed and make. Is there any specific reason you need 2GB? Because unless you're running a lot of massive CAD or encoding operations, 1GB is more than enough.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

... 1 gig would do fine and go with 2x512. 1 gig is what you need for gaming and really anything else.. Can someone tell me what you would need more than 1 gig for?..

Photo and video editing. Especially photo editing. Also graphic design.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

2GB would put less strain on the memory controller but 1GB modules have very poor latencies and I've never seen nor heard them to be very overclockable. To run dual channel you need at least 2 modules of similar speed and make. Is there any specific reason you need 2GB? Because unless you're running a lot of massive CAD or encoding operations, 1GB is more than enough.

So 1GB(2x512MB) would be able to run games such as Half-Life 2 on the highest settings without any problems? Thanks for all your help.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EJSusalla

So 1GB(2x512MB) would be able to run games such as Half-Life 2 on the highest settings without any problems? Thanks for all your help.

.. Given you have a good CPU and GPU, yes

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Exactly. You'll notice on the box the game may recommend 512MB of memory, and what that means is the game itself under normal circumstances uses 512+MB of memory, but what people don't often factor in is that Windows XP itself also is using 256+MB of memory on its own. So ultimately 1GB is actually a little more than necessary, but for efficient dual channel you want identicle memory modules, so yes, 2x512MB is your best option for performance, ease of use, and good overclockability

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

That much >_>.. Why?

Have you ever tried to manipulate a 10 meg picture file? If so you should know why.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalphreak

Have you ever tried to manipulate a 10 meg picture file? If so you should know why.

Thats a big pic.. By the way Digital, one of your smileys is broken in ur sig.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Indeed, and 10MB is rather small for a high-res image. My dad does some work (sort of an ameture photographer) with completely uncompressed scanned negatives that can easily exceed 90MB.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Thats a big pic.. By the way Digital, one of your smileys is broken in ur sig.

Yeah I noticed. Im lazy. A 10 meg file would be like a 2400 dpi scan. Super high resolutions.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
what do you mean, especially photo editing, Video Editing requires alot more system resource becuase it is basically needs to be constantly shuffling through footage that gets played at 25fps+ (25fps PAL, 29.9fps NTSC and HDTV 60fps-1200fps). For 1200 FPS it would only play at 60fps (it's for slow motion if some of you havent worked that out already, example=BadBoys 2 bullet through glass bottle at start was at 1200fps)

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So would a Pentium 4 550 3.4GHz, 2 sticks of 512MB, and an eVGA 6800 GT be able to run games like World of Warcraft and FarCry at their highest settings without a problem?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts