Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm looking at buying a new computer and I've narrowed it down to 2 options. I'm going to be using this as a gaming computer, and I'm just going to upgrade it from here on out. I'd like to OC everything (not sure to what extent atm). The reason I put this thread here, is because I don't know much about AMD processors, and overclocking in general, and I wanted to hear what your thoughts were.

[Computer #1 - Intel - $450]
-Motherboard: Asus P5N-D (FSB of 1333mhz - link here
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz Processor
-4 GB [email protected]
-750 GB SATA
-500 W Power Supply

[Computer #2 - AMD - $400]
-Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA790GX XE (FSB of 2600mhz - link
-AMD Phenom Quad-Core-Special Black-Edition Processor @ 2.8Ghz
-320 GB SATA Hard Drive with 16MB Cache (lol hos much does HDD Cache matter?)
-4 GB [email protected] Mhz
-450 W Power Supply

Both of the comps have lousy Graphics cards, and will need upgrades. Which would you buy?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The Choose is obvious. Computer # 2. The Processor alone has great headroom for overclocking, and you have DDR2 @ 1066Mhz. 50 Dollars less. You get more for your buck. %0 Watts less on the PSU, but thats not to bad, and 320GBs is better than 160 or less. That enough for everyday usage.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by microman
View Post

The Choose is obvious. Computer # 1. The Processor alone has great headroom for overclocking, but you have [email protected] 800Mhz. 50 Dollars more. You get more for your buck.

Agree.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It really depends on what you need the most

The AMD has a much better upgrade path because the socket is gonna be around for a while, and it has faster RAM
The intel one has more harddrive space and I personally like the processor better.
Also, concerning those powersupplies you should really check what make and model they are. Nothing is worse than a crappy powersupply

All said and done, I would probably buy the intel one

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
I would use AMD but I wouldn't use the parts you have listed. And like microman what quad core is 2.8 and blackedition?
If you're talking about the 920, thats just a BAD idea to get that. AM2+ is being phased out, so its rather pointless to buy it. Get an AM3 CPU and that way when you want to upgrade your board/RAM, you wont need a new CPU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts