Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of money, sold my 7800 GTX 256 and unused 939 motherboard for £300, so I want to get an XTX.

I'm not going to wait for the 7900, so please don't recommended.

However, I can't find any reviews of branded X1900XTXs. What's the difference? I know nothing about ATI brands, so I don't know which one is generally recommended. I figured Sapphire, but if there are any reviews/recommendations, please tell me!

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
All the cards themselves are identical at the moment. The partners are just distributing them and are all manufactured by ATI. Also, the ATI partners don't offer any lifetime warranties like Evga do for Nvidia so it really is a case of getting the cheapest one available.

Have you considered the XT as well as it's quite a bit cheaper than the XTX?
The XTX cards have been overclocking a bit better than the XTs, but you're only talking 20Mhz or so here and there and apart from this the cards have identical specs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Agreed, go XT, get some better cooling, and take it up to XTX speeds.

As for different brands, they don't vary as much as nvidia brands...HIS, Sapphire, even powercolor are all good brands.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ste

All the cards themselves are identical at the moment. The partners are just distributing them and are all manufactured by ATI. Also, the ATI partners don't offer any lifetime warranties like Evga do for Nvidia so it really is a case of getting the cheapest one available.

Have you considered the XT as well as it's quite a bit cheaper than the XTX?
The XTX cards have been overclocking a bit better than the XTs, but you're only talking 20Mhz or so here and there and apart from this the cards have identical specs.

Actually, aren't the XT using 1.3 ns memory and the XTX using 1.1 ns? Also, I haven't looked into pricing, what's the current price difference between XT and XTX?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sccr64472

Actually, aren't the XT using 1.3 ns memory and the XTX using 1.1 ns? Also, I haven't looked into pricing, what's the current price difference between XT and XTX?

Not sure about US prices, but it's around £100 difference in the UK.
The XTs come with at least 1.2ns ram as opposed to the XTXs 1.1ns ram. However, all the first batch of XTs seem to have come with 1.1ns ram. How long that will continue for though I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
XTX have better memory for overclock (stock speeds are already 100mhz faster) and their cores are binned for better overclocks as well, if you got the money and your lookin for the best, thats the only way to go.

Myself I would get the XT if I waslookin at this price range, just cause I'm a cheap bastard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These aren't bad point, but I'm still wondering if it's worth 'risking' a worse card. Sure, it's very possibly able to perform like an XTX, but I hate overclocking Radeons, and a nice simple person like me would rather just get a more practical card =P

Currently, I can find a Sapphire XTX for £417 including VAT, which is not bad. Although yes, it is quite a bit more expensive than the XT - but it performs better, so in the -long run-, would it make more sense?

See, my dilemma is that I will probably throw it away long before it becomes obsolete, so damnit I really don't know which one to get. HOWEVER, you're saying that all ATI cards are exactly the same, be they Asus, Radeon, Club3D, Sapphire etc?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Corporal_TE_Gaydar

These aren't bad point, but I'm still wondering if it's worth 'risking' a worse card. Sure, it's very possibly able to perform like an XTX, but I hate overclocking Radeons, and a nice simple person like me would rather just get a more practical card =P

Currently, I can find a Sapphire XTX for £417 including VAT, which is not bad. Although yes, it is quite a bit more expensive than the XT - but it performs better, so in the -long run-, would it make more sense?

See, my dilemma is that I will probably throw it away long before it becomes obsolete, so damnit I really don't know which one to get. HOWEVER, you're saying that all ATI cards are exactly the same, be they Asus, Radeon, Club3D, Sapphire etc?

Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it to you. It's probably worth noting that I flashed my XT to an XTX. Took 2 mins and now performs exactly the same as an XTX, at stock.

Not all ATI cards are the same from different manufacturers, but currently all the x1900xts are the same cards just in different boxes. Similarly for the xtx range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know Ste, you're probably right. I'll get an XT. That extra money could be used to buy something... er.. useful.. maybe a second fan controller.. or a PSU.. which I won't need because I won't have the power consumption of the XTX. =P

Aright, XT. Which XT to get, then? ^.^

Seriously though, any reviews saying anything? I can't see any difference, they all seriously the same?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Corporal_TE_Gaydar

You know Ste, you're probably right. I'll get an XT. That extra money could be used to buy something... er.. useful.. maybe a second fan controller.. or a PSU.. which I won't need because I won't have the power consumption of the XTX. =P

Aright, XT. Which XT to get, then? ^.^

Seriously though, any reviews saying anything? I can't see any difference, they all seriously the same?

All the cards are currently made by ATI and are distributed by the partners. Therefore, buying one brand over another won't get you any different card. The only difference could be what is bundled with the cards.

Just a note, the psu recommended by ATI for both the XT and the XTX is a 450W psu with 30A on the 12v rail.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,079 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Corporal_TE_Gaydar

I have a 420W. In the grand scheme of computer-part buying, it will 'have to do'.

=P

...and in the grand scheme of computer dying, it will 'probably kill something expensive'

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,703 Posts
^ agreed, but seriously the XT is NO faster than the XTX because its core is only 25MHz faster, memory clocks really don't have that much of an impact on gaming performance, that extra 100MHz will not net you any extra FPS really, plus the fact that they are both the same chips so they should overclock to the same theoretical limit, within the gray area depending on if you get lucky and get a particularly good one or get unlucky and get a dud. I'd get the Sapphire X1900XT because from what I remember it was the cheapest on newegg and Sapphire is a good company IMO, H.I.S. is also very good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eh, I went for Connect3d in the end, because it was cheaper. I didn't really want to pay a premium price for exactly the same card. Also, my PSU is pretty solid, I should think. It's Tagan, so at least it's not Q-Tec.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
bah im too late! you should have bought a Crossfire master card, with a crossfire mobo and then when more money strikes you get a second one! it owns everything and it will own everything!
(until the 7900gtx comes out
)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top