Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my SO got a USB powered mini-fridge that keeps a can of pop cool... We both were like... What the...

I took it apart and low and behold it's actually a small peltier cooler with a decent size 70x70mm heatsink on it with a fan.

I ran some quick tests and this is what I got. Stock the cold side gets down to 10c and 30c on the other warm side... Thats at 5v

I cut out the USB adapter and used a 7v charger I have.

The cold side is now down to 2c...lol! From what I can tell, it looks like the peltier is a 12v unit undervolted.

Here's my question... What could I use this for? All my pc components are cooled really well. Cpu stays under 70c, gpu under 40c. Is this just going to be a fun experiment device I might actually be able to make a real good mini-fridge after its running full volts or would I actually have some use for my pc?

I also swapped out the fan for a quiet 70mm fan. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

No use for the PC, but I would do something neat like integrate it into your desk
smile.gif
Yea good idea. I noticed after having it on awhile that it does crate a good amount of condensation due to the cold temperature...I'd rather not want to insulate against condensation if possible. Maybe turn it into a full power desk cooler...lol

I thought for a second about an extreme tablet SOC cooler but its just too massive and takes up wayy too much power to be worth it. lol

·
486DX2 66
3,762 Posts
Maybe on a small water loop you can use it to chill your reservoir a pinch. You never know, may spare you a degree or two under heavy load
biggrin.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts