Overclock.net banner

Who at Microsoft decided this was a good idea?

2091 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  bhav

Yes I know, I've already turned them off, but who actually leaves them on and wants to be constantly bombarded with these useless notifications?
  • Rep+
Reactions: David H
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
699 Posts
I' m sick of all these notifications in windows and on my phone. Everything just automatically turns on the most useless spam notificatio s and you manually need to turn them off.

Guessing some gen Z twitter airhead works at these companies that needs constant confirmation for their existance to have any meaning.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I' m sick of all these notifications in windows and on my phone. Everything just automatically turns on the most useless spam notificatio s and you manually need to turn them off.

Guessing some gen Z twitter airhead works at these companies that needs constant confirmation for their existance to have any meaning.
Along with the 'Our updates are carbon aware!;' BS, Microsoft clearly hire people that they absolutely don't need.

Also no way to actually relay feedback to MS, their support channels are normally random volunteers / tech support from third party companies.

· Registered
699 Posts
All we need now is that talking paperclip back.

· Registered
892 Posts
They can still have useless staff around unlike Twitter and are worth almost as much as Apple, 2 trillion. So it's out of the reach of control of one man, like bhav. I thought they were cracking down on carbon offsets false advertising.

• Rep+
Reactions: CJ2110 and Dantrax

· Laptop Enthusiast
10,011 Posts
They can still have useless staff around unlike Twitter and are worth almost as much as Apple, 2 trillion. So it's out of the reach of control of one man, like bhav. I thought they were cracking down on carbon offsets false advertising.
Apple is worth, as of the end of the fiscal year 2022, $50 billion. Apple is a fraction of a fraction of what Microsoft is. xD

· Premium Member
10,971 Posts
Why has there not been a class action against them for altering systems when users don’t want it? Forcing updates is a crime.

· Registered
135 Posts
Why has there not been a class action against them for altering systems when users don’t want it? Forcing updates is a crime.
This. So much this, Also let us not forget alllllll the phone companies installing covid tracing software, which was a mere gimick in itself as far as helping anyone to anything other than ridicule and lost jobs and sniffles... .....and some (manufacturers and carriers) installed without even saying it quietly at the end of security patch notes.......If not for the hardwork of people at XDA and so on....no one would have even known.....it would just be there to lay in wait to activate and gather telemetry when they want or when its convenient or worth money in data......disgusting.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This. So much this, Also let us not forget alllllll the phone companies installing covid tracing software, which was a mere gimick in itself as far as helping anyone to anything other than ridicule and lost jobs and sniffles... .....and some (manufacturers and carriers) installed without even saying it quietly at the end of security patch notes.......If not for the hardwork of people at XDA and so on....no one would have even known.....it would just be there to lay in wait to activate and gather telemetry when they want or when its convenient or worth money in data......disgusting.
Kids in UK dying from Strep A now because lockdowns meant they werent catching other thngs normally and now they're all getting it at once.

· Twin Turbski
2,313 Posts
Windows 11 in general is a bad idea.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Windows 11 in general is a bad idea.
'Browsing tiktok on phones is popular, we need to make Windows 11 just like that'.

Thanks Microsoft for making my PC into cancer.

• Rep+
Reactions: David H

· Twin Turbski
2,313 Posts
'Browsing tiktok on phones is popular, we need to make Windows 11 just like that'.

Thanks Microsoft for making my PC into cancer.
They are doing it on purpose.

go back to windows 10 right now.

· Linux > All
1,744 Posts
I remember people saying stuff like this when Windows 7 came out, then Windows 8, then Windows 10. Same show different channel.

If you are going to use Windows, and lets face it they are in no danger of getting beat by anyone (especially my beloved linux), then you accept what they give you. If people complain enough they will offer you an option. Windows as a service (monthly fee), or accept the ads. Don't put Windows as a service past them. They said 10 would be the last one which was a bald faced lie as 11 was no doubt in development well before 10 was released. I have no doubt they are waiting for just the right market conditions.

Just don't forget that cable tv started out as paying so you wouldn't have to watch commercials... That didn't last.

· Registered
135 Posts
Market conditions = when trying to force haneous things onto the populous in a bid for a one for all world gov't where you will own nothing and be happy for it........then you are correct!! It was quite a brilliant time to release windows 10 + more telemetry and spying and a half working scheduler, I mean 11.....you know...for them..not us. ;) I can happily say, I have Mint on this PC and only use win for games I cant run in wine.. etc...for the first time in over a decade...even my media PC upstairs in the bedroom (the old 6700k) now runs mint .....It was long past due to cut the data off from the Chine....I mean Micros.......... evil.

· First Time Listener.
59 Posts
Yes I know, I've already turned them off, but who actually leaves them on and wants to be constantly bombarded with these useless notifications?
Your image is deleted. But yeah, whenever I set up an OS there are a lot of spam settings to disable. And it seems as though every so often a system update happens that will turn a bunch of those settings back on. We know when we get the "Hi There. We are settings things up for you" after a minor update that we will be readjusting settings again.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your image is deleted. But yeah, whenever I set up an OS there are a lot of spam settings to disable. And it seems as though every so often a system update happens that will turn a bunch of those settings back on. We know when we get the "Hi There. We are settings things up for you" after a minor update that we will be readjusting settings again.
Yea I know, wasn't my image and the OP on reddit deleted it, and I hadn't saved it oops.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
I downloaded a package from teamos to modify windows 10 and remove and disable stuff
Does W11 let you dual boot linux?

· Premium Member
10,971 Posts
Checking my att mail at yahoo [email protected] what ever it is and can’t and won’t understand why att is now forcing adds in my email. I pay for the internet & email service, apparently these greedy companies are not satisfied with a profit they want more

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thinking back to them adding 'our updates are now carbon neutral' - updates happen outside of busy hours, and yet I still get auto updates at 10am, making it nothing more than BS pandering?

When you now try to disable your PC going into sleep mode, it just has to warn you 'This will make your PC less carbon neutral!!!'.

And who exactly cares? I'd rather not have my PC going into auto sleep after 15 mins and stopping my downloads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts