Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me how i am able to reach higher overclocks by increasing ram voltage. This is what happened:

I am overclocking my X2 7750 non BE processor on Asus M2N68AM PLUS board. I am using the stock heat sink. I couldn't boot in after reaching 218fsb. Then i tried upping the chipset volt to +150mv which got me just about to 220. Then i increased my RAM volt to 1.9 from 1.8V and amazingly i could hit 240 fsb!!!!!!!!!!!!! ram multiplier was always set to 3:5. None of the guides could explain this please help me out. The CPU core volt was left unchanged.

·
Long Time Lurker
933 Posts
Your RAM was maxing out, the voltage increase kept your system from crashing.

Ta da.

Wait... 2 threads on the same thing?

·
Car cheaper than computer
3,049 Posts
Definetly the ram, I find at night I have to drop the ram multi 2 steps to need more vcore

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duh i tried it with 1:1 also same thing happens at stock volts. My ram is rated fr 800Mhz and it cant run 200 Mhz???

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niladri Ukil
View Post

Duh i tried it with 1:1 also same thing happens at stock volts. My ram is rated fr 800Mhz and it cant run 200 Mhz???

Did you downclock your RAM from 400 to 200 in your BIOS?

First of all, your processor's FREQUENCY is 200Mhz stock. The processor's speed is determined by the fequency multipled by the multiplier. So 200 x 13.5 = 2700Mhz.

Your RAM speed is completely different. Your RAM will either run at 400Mhz, 533Mhz, 667Mhz, 800Mhz, or 1066Mhz depending on what you have it set to in your BIOS.

When you increase the frequency of your processor, it also increases the frequency on your RAM.

So if you're stock settings are as follows:

CPU: 200 x 13.5
RAM: 400 (800Mhz effective)

And you increase your CPU's frequency to 240, you're increasing your RAM's speed from 400 to 440 (800Mhz to 880Mhz effective). Sometimes it takes a bump in volts to get over the hump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i know what ram multipliers are and yes i did all overclocking from bios. i set the ram multiplier to 200 from 400(stock) which corressponds to 1:1 from the default 1:2. so i can't understand how can it still crash when set to 1:1.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niladri Ukil View Post
ya i know what ram multipliers are and yes i did all overclocking from bios. i set the ram multiplier to 200 from 400(stock) which corressponds to 1:1 from the default 1:2. so i can't understand how can it still crash when set to 1:1.
Ram voltage is a reserve for the CPU-NB. You are probably getting a little high on the NB clock, due to increased fsb, and it may want more volts. Adding the volts to the RAM, also feeds the NB at times. So, maybe your system wants more NB volts (CPU-NB, not NB) and is getting some of it from the RAM voltage.

I would try increasing your CPU-NB volts and lower the RAM volts back down to what you would expect it to need, and go from there. If your NB is now @2400Mhz (240 fsb x 10 multi = 2400Mhz) or 2160Mhz (240 x 9), then try CPU-NB @ 1.25-1.3v (not quite sure with your chip and board, but that should be ok).

Marc

• Rep+
Reactions: Niladri Ukil

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That explains a lot....... how do i increase CPU-NB volt? do i just increase the cpu volt? I dont have any option relating to CPU-NB in BIOS

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niladri Ukil
View Post

That explains a lot....... how do i increase CPU-NB volt? do i just increase the cpu volt? I dont have any option relating to CPU-NB in BIOS

Actually I'm not too familiar with that chip, and don't even know if it has an IMC (integrated memory controller, on chip), do they?

But, I might try increasing HT and NB (meaning any NB volt option you may have) volts a bit, as those are being overclocked by the fsb increase.

See if you can do something there, and if it helps.

Marc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts