Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to write a research paper for English and I chose to do it on paradoxes.

Now who should I interview;

A philosopher?
A logician?
A physicist?
...or someone else?

I only have to interview one person. Idk if I can do more than one.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I would go for a physicist, personally. They're most likely to have some experience pondering paradoxes.

In particular, Dr Michio Kaku. He seems like a cool enough guy to accept the odd student interview and seems to know his stuff pretty well.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Physicist.

Ask them about Einstein's twin paradox

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
I would go for a physicist, personally. They're most likely to have some experience pondering paradoxes.

In particular, Dr Michio Kaku. He seems like a cool enough guy to accept the odd student interview and seems to know his stuff pretty well.
lol thanks for the recommendation but I don't think I'll need to interview a world renowned physicist as this just a small scale project for English 1 (Writing Composition).

But I'm watching this Kaku guy's videos on youtube. Never heard of him, thanks.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
watch Futurama lol
haha I should put Farnsworth on my cover page or something

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sequencius View Post
haha I should put Farnsworth on my cover page or something
But on a serious note. If you do go back in time and have sex with your grandmother and you are your own grand father, is that possible? This is assuming time travel is possible.

Cause in order for you to go back in time in the first place you would've already had to have had a grandfather for you to be born and then actually go back in time since the past has to happen before the future. But if you go back in time and take your grandfather's place and you impregnant your grandmother do you still come out as you or do you come out as a different person due to a change in gene pool at the time? Would you be considered a genetic twin/clone? Logically you would come out as a different person would you not?

Cause if you came out exactly as you, you would have to have the same DNA. But at the same time because you share DNA with your grandmother, that can cause complications on a chromosomal level since one of the reason why incest is ruled out is a higher chance of birth defects. But then that would explain why fry is so dumb along with lacking the delta brain wave(just through the brain wave part in there). But then how is it possible for a grandfather and grand son to share the same exact DNA? Would this cause further complications down the line cause now that he fathered his father,he now has the DNA of both his father and his mother which then means his parents committed a form of incest?

And if they committed incest then fry's family is one giant incestuous family including his brother Yancy who clearly did not have any birth issues who then moved on to father a child who was super smart and was one of the first people to land on mars who took on the same name as fry in honor of his brother's disappearance.

My head hurts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
But on a serious note. If you do go back in time and have sex with your grandmother and you are your own grand father, is that possible? This is assuming time travel is possible.

Cause in order for you to go back in time in the first place you would've already had to have had a grandfather for you to be born and then actually go back in time since the past has to happen before the future. But if you go back in time and take your grandfather's place and you impregnant your grandmother do you still come out as you or do you come out as a different person due to a change in gene pool at the time? Would you be considered a genetic twin/clone? Logically you would come out as a different person would you not?

Cause if you came out exactly as you, you would have to have the same DNA. But at the same time because you share DNA with your grandmother, that can cause complications on a chromosomal level since one of the reason why incest is ruled out is a higher chance of birth defects. But then that would explain why fry is so dumb along with lacking the delta brain wave(just through the brain wave part in there). But then how is it possible for a grandfather and grand son to share the same exact DNA? Would this cause further complications down the line cause now that he fathered his father,he now has the DNA of both his father and his mother which then means his parents committed a form of incest?

And if they committed incest then fry's family is one giant incestuous family including his brother Yancy who clearly did not have any birth issues who then moved on to father a child who was super smart and was one of the first people to land on mars who took on the same name as fry in honor of his brother's disappearance.

My head hurts
I love stuff like this.
I'll go back to this tomorrow as I have class in the morning, but I'd like to think of it like this. Since you are only one being, and you go back in time, no matter what moment you are in you are always just that one being. So when you have sex with your grandmother it doesn't affect "the future you" because there is no more future you, only the you at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznaz View Post
I'd say that time travel is one of the less interesting physical paradoxes to write about. The twin paradox and the EPR paradox are much more interesting.
I agree, but I think I was just going for "paradoxes" in general. Or should I choose a specific one???
Remember this is an english class so...lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
My personal opinion - get yourself down to a local university and interview an English professor on the use of paradoxes as literary devices. Gives you absolute freedom to explore and investigate a topic without any subject specific knowledge and it is an English essay after all.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thanks for ignoring my suggestion mate...

The Theories of Relativity have some interesting paradoxes in them.

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sequencius View Post
I love stuff like this.
I'll go back to this tomorrow as I have class in the morning, but I'd like to think of it like this. Since you are only one being, and you go back in time, no matter what moment you are in you are always just that one being. So when you have sex with your grandmother it doesn't affect "the future you" because there is no more future you, only the you at the moment.
Yes but there has to be a past for the present. To you there is only the current you. But relative to where you are, you are in the past but you experience everything in the present. So you have already lived the future since you are part of what is to happen. So for example 9/11 if I go back to 9/10 right now then it is the past relative to me but what I am experiencing is the present for everyone else which is the past for me since I already lived it. Just that my current perception is the present when in actuality those events have happened already in my life time.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAF View Post
Thanks for ignoring my suggestion mate...

The Theories of Relativity have some interesting paradoxes in them.
I didn't ignore, it's just that I've already heard of the Twin Paradox =\\

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
Yes but there has to be a past for the present. To you there is only the current you. But relative to where you are, you are in the past but you experience everything in the present. So you have already lived the future since you are part of what is to happen. So for example 9/11 if I go back to 9/10 right now then it is the past relative to me but what I am experiencing is the present for everyone else which is the past for me since I already lived it. Just that my current perception is the present when in actuality those events have happened already in my life time.
You're thinking too linearly.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80
View Post

My head hurts

Time travel paradoxes are easy as to solve

When you go back in time, you don't really rewind reality
You go back into everyone else's past, but you are still the same
In essence, it's very similar to the Multiverse theory
I think Doc in Back To The Future explained it really well
You go and create a parallel past, where everything you do influences the path of this new universe

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot
View Post

When you go back in time, you don't really rewind reality
You go back into everyone else's past, but you are still the same
e

The part I don't understand about time travel is when you go back to the past (let's say when you are still alive), where is your old self? it's just gone and replaced with the self that time traveled back? How does that even scientifically work...like how would they swap out the old you with the time traveling you? Or do you just spawn in the past and your old self is there also, making two of you...

actually yeah that's probably how people imagine it would work, going back in time and seeing your old self.
so let's say that is the case.
and the time traveling you murders your old self...
now what happens?

·
Banned
127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sequencius
View Post

The part I don't understand about time travel is when you go back to the past (let's say when you are still alive), where is your old self? it's just gone and replaced with the self that time traveled back? How does that even scientifically work...

Well to be perfectly honest nobody knows

One theory is that you are the exact same as when you moved back in time, but everyone else is in the past
Think of it as Back To The Future

So you're still 16 (or however old you are), but everyone else is, like, 5 or something
They 'you' that was supposed to be 5, either simply disappears, or is there right with you, just like with Marty

1 - 20 of 40 Posts