Overclock.net banner

Do you use a surge protector?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for any reason other than I bought a Belkin 2700 joule surge protector today and was interested to see how many of you folks actually use one. I quite like the idea that they will cover up to £175,000 worth of equipment should it fail because of a surge. Cost me £35 in the end.

Who uses one?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I got a 4000 joule home theatre one for $40 that covers up to $400,000.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I voted no, but I don't use any electronics without them being on a UPS not just surge protectors. Brown outs are just as bad if not worse than power surges.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Luke2 View Post
I voted no, but I don't use any electronics without them being on a UPS not just surge protectors. Brown outs are just as bad if not worse than power surges.
Is that if you take a dump on the PC? But, seriously, a "brown" out?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Gaming rig on a surge.... server on a UPS.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Brown out is not quite a black out. Power infrastructure is strained, and can't output the full potential that you need/normally get.

I have one, but be sure you read the fine print on those. Some will say it covers up to $X but won't cover any computer equipment, or TVs, or something like that. They make you shell out for the more expensive model.

I have like 6 things plugged into it. If only for more outlets, it's a good idea.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't use any form of UPS/surge protector on my rig. I'd rather is get toasted and have a nice insurance payout to get a rig that isn't a piece of crap. I kid, I kid. But in all seriousness I've never really looked into it...

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by esocid View Post
Brown out is not quite a black out. Power infrastructure is strained, and can't output the full potential that you need/normally get.

I have one, but be sure you read the fine print on those. Some will say it covers up to $X but won't cover any computer equipment, or TVs, or something like that.
Nah, I saw that! I bought the slightly more expensive one labelled as for computer equipment and home cinema. They also offer full professional data recovery should my HD die as a result of surging or whatever.

The question is how you prove a surge!

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Here comes Weston, to lay down the law!

I've actually checked after him, and though I wouldn't go so far as to say that surge protectors are a scam, they definitely are not anywhere near as useful as people think. A standard MOV-based surge protector is redundant as that circuitry is already present in your devices, and sacrificial surge protectors won't protect you from minor surges and are too slow to save you from a lightning strike or major surge. Phase-shift surge protectors are useful as supplementary protection, but still shouldn't be relied on.

You need a whole-house earth-ground solution to protect from lightning and major surges. A surge protector won't do diddly squat otherwise.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Here comes Weston, to lay down the law!

I've actually checked after him, and though I wouldn't go so far as to say that surge protectors are a scam, they definitely are not anywhere near as useful as people think. A standard MOV-based surge protector is redundant as that circuitry is already present in your devices, and sacrificial surge protectors won't protect you from minor surges and are too slow to save you from a lightning strike or major surge. Phase-shift surge protectors are useful as supplementary protection, but still shouldn't be relied on.

You need a whole-house earth-ground solution to protect from lightning and major surges. A surge protector won't do diddly squat otherwise.
Meh, for £35 you can't go wrong whatever the case. Makes me feel good. I did eye up the £100+ Monster Power 850's and thought, heeeeelllllllll no!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
Is that if you take a dump on the PC? But, seriously, a "brown" out?
You dont know what a brown out is? Ever noticed your house lights dimming for a few seconds and then shine bright again? Its opposite to a power SURGE - its a DIP in power, its just as bad as a surge.

Causes devices to try compensate for the lost power and end up over heating, motors could actually turn in the opposite direction they are meant to, many many other things. Even a switching power supply could fail from it.

google it for why its bad.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Alex,

+1 onthe UPS. I have an APS smart ups 1300 for my home entertainment system and a 900 for my computer. I figure I spent $1500 on the Big 2A, and even more on the entertainment system. It is worth $300 to protect that investent. A good ups will regulate and condition voltage and frequency of the power going into your system. Since all the output comes off the batterey and not the line any surges spikes or dropout and brownouts hit the ups and not the equipment. Surge suppressors do their job well but they cannot offer the level of protection that an UPS can.

·
Iconoclast
30,429 Posts
I'm aware of their limitations, but I still use surge protectors.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stan_nel View Post
You dont know what a brown out is? Ever noticed your house lights dimming for a few seconds and then shine bright again? Its opposite to a power SURGE - its a DIP in power, its just as bad as a surge.

Causes devices to try compensate for the lost power and end up over heating, motors could actually turn in the opposite direction they are meant to, many many other things. Even a switching power supply could fail from it.

google it for why its bad.
Ah, I knew about the lack of power bit, just not the terminology. I actually thought it was the dog licking the plugs again

All I know is that where I work, there was a bad powercut in our area. It lasted only 30 minutes. Later that day and the following days, we had a record amount of folk coming in complaining their equipment would no longer turn on after the cut. We sold record amounts of stock and surge chargers (rightly or wrongly
)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts