Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 3080 - 3090 level card now that prices are getting somewhat normal again. I would like a single slot if possible so I am looking at the EVGA hydrocopper cards. They seem to be the only single slot cards on the market. Are the blocks on them any good? Who makes them? I do not want to pull them and swap them if I do not have to. Manly just do not want to spend another $100-200 to replace the block if the one it comes with is good enough. And the price seems comparable to buying an air cooled card and getting a block from EK or anyone else.

·
Overclocker
2,790 Posts
I have two 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra, one with an EK block and one Hydro Copper, the Hydro Copper runs about 3C warmer on the core.

As for who manufactures them, I thought it was EK but I have absolutely nothing to back that up just rumors from awhile ago. But I would imagine regardless of who actually manufacturers them, the design would come from EVGA.

I'm actually quite surprised how cheap the Hyrdro Copper cards are in comparison to the air cooled ones, seems like a great deal if you want to water cool and not have to worry about doing the block yourself. You do basically get the block and assembly for free.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
EVGA makes them as far as I know. As to how good they are, not very.
So EVGA no longer has a contract with EK?

To the OP if you go EVGA forums and just ask in the WC area, I'm sure Jacob will let you know.
As for the performance HC warterblocks have always been avg.

I'm actually quite surprised how cheap the Hyrdro Copper cards are in comparison to the air cooled ones, seems like a great deal if you want to water cool and not have to worry about doing the block yourself. You do basically get the block and assembly for free.
Oddly enough its almost been like that since I've looked. Their HC cards are only about a few bucks more than the air cooled one. But you gotta also remember that they come pre assembled like you said.... but you no longer get the "sweet" air cooler.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
So EVGA no longer has a contract with EK?

To the OP if you go EVGA forums and just ask in the WC area, I'm sure Jacob will let you know.
Don't think they have made the Hydro blocks for a few gens now. They still make the block used on the Formula though. As I said as far as I know they are made in house now. They did at one time

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,247 Posts
^ That's your best bet to get a clear answer.

HC cards were typically the thinnest but as mentioned above, if you buy a HC card, you don't get an stock air cooler. Comes down to what is most important to you.

All blocks will perform within a minor performance margin and for a 3080 with memory on one side, your choices are easier. 3090 with memory modules on both sides? You may want to consider buying a block with active cooling on the back.

·
WaterCooler
5,078 Posts
No idea. When I had a 680 Hydro Copper block it was Swiftech. So seems they go through different suppliers, or else make their own now.

• Rep+
Reactions: Rei86

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No idea. When I had a 680 Hydro Copper block it was Swiftech. So seems they go through different suppliers, or else make their own now.
Really????

hmm the GTX 680 Classified blocks was EK.

·
WaterCooler
5,078 Posts
Really????

hmm the GTX 680 Classified blocks was EK.
Yep, had a Swiftech logo on it. I'm quite certain the Hydro Copper for the Classified did too.

EDIT: Found some images on TPU. You can clearly see the "Powered by Swiftech" in the bottom right corners. The block internals were extremely basic.

Regular GTX 680:
Rectangle Laptop accessory Font Audio equipment Electric blue

680 Classified:
Rectangle Font Audio equipment Electronic device Electric blue

·
Rig Advisor
4,533 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts