Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Godaddy cannot be beaten for domain names, not only are they trustworthy, as well as inexpensive but the advanced options are small sized hosting packages and the wide array of features as well as customer service leave a tower standing among the rest of domain name registration services. Depending on your usage requirements for the hosting, it may be very worth it to check out shared hosting versus dedicated hosting for your website as the latter can be very expensive and for personal/small business websites is often not required unless you are running game servers or other resource-intensive tasks. I highly reccomend bluehost for this is godaddy's shared hosting packages are not sufficient for your needs, its relatively inexpensive (~$5/mo for 500gb space+"unlimited" xfer/mo) and their support and feature list is near-dedicated hosting. They also offer dedicated hosting packages, but there are much better companies out there that provide dedicated servers on approximately the same price point.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
I'm a big fan of 1and1.com

They have a promotion right now, 1 year free with a 2 year contract on their $7/month home package. It includes 2 domains, 150gb of storage, and unlimited data: http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hos...inkOrigin=Home

Over the course of 2 years, it comes out to $84, or $42/year.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think DynDns.com gives some free unobtrusive domain names.

Just domain names though, but a cheap machine w/ LAMP is all you really need. My web/file server was a throwaway from work.

In the end all you need is the time to code, but there are enough templates/tutorials/prefabs out there that it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to have your own server up and running (for a webserver, anyway)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
sorry for being so late but xenonservers.com has unlimited space and transfer for $5 a month i use them and they are great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts