Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that i am fed up by Introlls with little logic, i thought to search what has happened so far with the famous Mr. Dickey that sued AMD for being "fraudolent" that Bulldozer was marketed as "8 core" instead of "4 core".

Well, things don't go well for Mr. Dickey! Who would have guessed!

Quote:
Summary: April 7, 2016 46 Opinion or Order of the Court ORDER by Judge Ronald M. Whyte granting 27 Motion to Dismiss with leave to amend. Within 14 days, plaintiff shall submit an amended complaint that corrects the deficiencies identified in this order. Furthermore, a case management conference will be held on May 13, 2016 at 10:30 a.m.

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/5:2015cv04922/292310/46

Run Introll, run!
lachen.gif

P.S.: I love the smell of burnt Introll in the evening. It smells like...victory!
biggrin.gif

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Will he give up now? Probably not.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Will he give up now? Probably not.
Do you know why i have been quite certain of AMD's victory? My brother is a lawyer and although he is complete PC illiterate, i have explained to him to the best of my capacity the arguments of the two sides and his non-techie opinion was that for Dickey to win this, it would take for his lawyer to literally pull a rabbit out of his hat.

As for giving up or not, this depends on 2 things: How confident Dickey's lawyer is after this slap that he can turn the tables and how much money Dickey is willing to further risk after the first defeat (cause the lawyer gets paid even if he doesn't win). Because when your case is dismissed before even reaching a normal court procedure, it means that your claim is pretty weak, otherwise the judge would let it proceed normally.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Hmm. California. San Jose Division. That's Silicon Valley where everything is super expensive. As in $600 an hour lawyers. Maybe $1000 an hour. That is where construction workers can make $60 an hour. How deep are his pockets?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Hmm. California. San Jose Division. That's Silicon Valley where everything is super expensive. As in $600 an hour lawyers. Maybe $1000 an hour. That is where construction workers can make $60 an hour. How deep are his pockets?
$600 per hour?
biggrin.gif
If i were in Dickey's shoes, i 'd pay my lawyer and say "Well, we tried, but it's time to face reality. Thanks for everything, goodbye". I mean, it's not like he went to the final hearing and lost in 1st degree and now he ponders whether it's worth to appeal. He was dismissed already in preliminary round.
biggrin.gif
Paying $600 per hour to continue this, is suicidal by any economic logic. Of course his lawyer would gladly continue, as he has nothing to lose, but you know, when things go bad, the client then tries to scan his own lawyer to see whether there is a real chance of winning or simply his lawyer is trying to squeeze more cash out of him.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
To file a lawsuit over something that costs so little and millions of people are using happily the world over I find really strange. It reeks of trying to coerce money out of someone.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
I would have guessed

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

To file a lawsuit over something that costs so little and millions of people are using happily the world over I find really strange. It reeks of trying to coerce money out of someone.
Yeah, but if he was to win, he 'd make AMD pay a lot of money and if the system is anything like here, he 'd get full compensation for legal fees from AMD plus some damages. The crucial part is: "IF HE WAS TO WIN".
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

I would have guessed
I know, i know... You 're in the "long version" too
biggrin.gif

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600390/itwire-amds-john-taylor-we-are-far-close-to-intel-than-ever-before/180#post_25185697

^ This post is what made me search today, i can't stand them anymore.

I have been waiting in ambush for a loooong time, because after a point, you can no longer argue rationally with trolls or with irrational people. So i was patiently awaiting:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1599131/amd-fx-mis-information-about-bottlenecking-gpus/80#post_25144779

You can't wrestle with the pigs forever... Now the next time i will see someone charging in with the usual story, i will link him to this thread.
biggrin.gif

P.S: I keep losing overclock.net and instead a "huddler network" loads, odd...

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

Its pretty sad, all I got to say. Cant even keep an argument within its own thread anymore.

Keep at it man, im sure you'll find like minded people
People in the AMD forum get tired of hearing "it isn't a real 8 core" ten times a week every other thread. Especially from someone with four posts. It gets annoying fast when it is an obvious troll by someone. Not saying the poster was a troll but they are not hard to find here.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Do you know why i have been quite certain of AMD's victory? My brother is a lawyer and although he is complete PC illiterate, i have explained to him to the best of my capacity the arguments of the two sides and his non-techie opinion was that for Dickey to win this, it would take for his lawyer to literally pull a rabbit out of his hat.

As for giving up or not, this depends on 2 things: How confident Dickey's lawyer is after this slap that he can turn the tables and how much money Dickey is willing to further risk after the first defeat (cause the lawyer gets paid even if he doesn't win). Because when your case is dismissed before even reaching a normal court procedure, it means that your claim is pretty weak, otherwise the judge would let it proceed normally.
People pursue cases like this because every so often, you find a judge who is a blithering idiot when it comes to technical matters and can't be bothered to learn.

When it comes to technical issues, finding idiot judges are the last resort for shyster lawyers trying to make a quick buck and companies that screw up six ways from Sunday (like Netscape, SCO, and Rambus).

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

People pursue cases like this because every so often, you find a judge who is a blithering idiot when it comes to technical matters and can't be bothered to learn.

When it comes to technical issues, finding idiot judges are the last resort for shyster lawyers trying to make a quick buck and companies that screw up six ways from Sunday (like Netscape, SCO, and Rambus).
Yes. On paper the judge should call for expert consultants to the court, but you never know...

Anyway, i tried to find something about April or May 2016, but i can't find anything. So either Dickey has abbandonded the idea or the update is not online yet...

Still, from 2 minutes i talked with my brother today, basically the judge is saying that with the current arguments, the suit can't stand and asks Dickey to present better arguments. My brother said, that this is never good, because all lawyers want to avoid this. It's bad for the reputation of the lawyer too, because the customer is never happy when this happens.They all want to lose to normal hearing if they have to lose. Because when you present the suit, you always present your best case. "It's your foothold" to step up from, he told me. So now you are forced to come up with "plan B" that is better than your "plan A".

·
Banned
449 Posts
AMD FX has 8 integer core with 4 shader fpus, resources. Core does not need FPU... He cannot win, because he is wrong.

What about mobile CPUs? Or Intel low power CPUs? He should sue Intel for advertising dual core with 4 threads as an i5 in mobile segment....
biggrin.gif

Maybe marketing trick should be forbidden ....

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Both are wrong.

AMD is wrong to call the FX an 8 core CPU.

He is wrong to call it a quad.

It really should have been marketed as an 8/4 CPU.

While it's true that a CPU doesn't have to even have a single FPU in it to have a core that is an obsolete argument for consumer CPUs.

His argument that the CPU is defined by the FPU count is also well beyond credibility.

Marketing it as an 8/4 CPU wouldn't have necessarily hurt AMD, either, since it would have shown people a reason to invest more into an 8/4 part rather than a 6/3 or 4/2 part.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
This has been beaten to death. They are 8 core cpu's. It was even upheld in court in that dumb law suit.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

This has been beaten to death. They are 8 core cpu's. It was even upheld in court in that dumb law suit.
Beaten to death or not the answer does depend on how a person defines a CPU core. It's clear that they are not quads. That's absurd hyperbole. However, it's debatable whether or not they can be considered full 8 core processors. I think 8/4 would have made more sense for the marketing. Let people decide for themselves.

The tech industry needs to be more accurate and transparent. People said the GTX 970 has 4 GB of VRAM but when half a gig of it runs at 28 GB/s and causes XOR contention that really doesn't count as VRAM for a product in its class.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts