Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just grabbed a 10700K from Microcenter for the low price of $280, which is quite a bargain. I'm wondering about the 11 series and considering the new chip can be tossed in my Z490. If I buy one, the good deal I got goes out the window. If the chips match or slightly beat the Ryzen chips, are you guys swapping your 10 series for an 11 series? Considering Alder Lake could be coming kind of soon, I'm thinking all this constant upgrading is more of a mental illness than anything else. What's your plan?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I would stick with 10th gen and wait out till you need upgrade or 2nd generation of ddr5 chipsets. This should be meteorlake and am5 refresh in 2023. First gen ddr5 won’t be great.

The only interesting thing is if alderlake premium boards will support ddr5-8400 then it might be worth going to alderlake since intel lga1700 is multigenerational (alderlake, meteorlake, one more).

Though ultimately i think lot depends on the recent changes in intel leadership leads to. New CEO, bringing back old intel engineers and more new hires coming.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
im sticking with my 10900k setup until i see how amd/intel perform on the upcoming ddr5 platform. the 11 series just doesnt appeal to me as being a justified upgrade.

• Rep+
Reactions: littledonny

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't see the next gen being being much of an upgrade, if at all to my 10900k OC :)
There is speculation of the core numbers being dropped so it doesn't compete with the HEDT range
My OCD likes 10/20 better than 8/16 :p

·
Totally Tubular
1,565 Posts
I've got a 10850K and the first one I'd consider upgrading to is the 12th Gen big.LITTLE-esque architecture. Skip 11th Gen if you have 10th already.

• Rep+
Reactions: littledonny

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 10900k and returned it to stick with my 9900k. With gaming benchmarks consistently showing 4k gaming GPU being the bottleneck, I'm not seeing much reason to upgrade even to 11th gen personally. I MIGHT but there's nothing compelling yet to make it a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I am upgrading to an 11900k because I can’t get over how my 5.4ghz 10700k is now stuck at 5.1ghz. Also, Flight Simulator 2020 is main thread limited.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
I am upgrading to an 11900k because I can’t get over how my 5.4ghz 10700k is now stuck at 5.1ghz. Also, Flight Simulator 2020 is main thread limited.
Why is it stuck?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Why is it stuck?
I don't know. It will do 5.1 at 1.2v (bios) at LLC5, but runs at 90C under heavy load. I used to be able to run at 5.4 ghz at 80C under heavy load. I remounted the direct die 5 or 6 times and even tried going back to a copper IHS. Buildzoid thinks I might have cracked the substrate and caused a leak.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
I don't know. It will do 5.1 at 1.2v (bios) at LLC5, but runs at 90C under heavy load. I used to be able to run at 5.4 ghz at 80C under heavy load. I remounted the direct die 5 or 6 times and even tried going back to a copper IHS. Buildzoid thinks I might have cracked the substrate and caused a leak.
Bummer. 5.4 on one of these is unusual.

• Rep+
Reactions: Techie007

·
Iconoclast
30,657 Posts
With Rocket Lake still missing TSX, my next Intel setup will be Alder Lake.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Gonna wait til covid is gone and til prices go down..crazy times..
Prices won’t be going down feeling i get. They will stabilize to more normalish levels once supply increases significantly. There are more price hikes coming just from price of material and shipping logistics alone.

We can only vote with our wallets at this point and if we can delay our upgrade year to two down the road, it will help a lot. Think about your long term upgrade plans, if your going to get second gen ddr5 stuff just use what you have now and spend minimal as possible on current stuff.

That or join the crowd in mining.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,090 Posts
Prices won’t be going down feeling i get. They will stabilize to more normalish levels once supply increases significantly. There are more price hikes coming just from price of material and shipping logistics alone.

We can only vote with our wallets at this point and if we can delay our upgrade year to two down the road, it will help a lot. Think about your long term upgrade plans, if your going to get second gen ddr5 stuff just use what you have now and spend minimal as possible on current stuff.

That or join the crowd in mining.
I plan on getting the DDR5 Threadripper platform..

the current issues today are due to covid..companies cutting off employees, closing down factories and limiting production numbers..things will stabilize if this pandemic is gone or already has a cure, people will be more productive as well as companies on the manufacturing side..

its not just miners who are cancer on top of the pandemic..

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I plan on getting the DDR5 Threadripper platform..

the current issues today are due to covid..companies cutting off employees, closing down factories and limiting production numbers..things will stabilize if this pandemic is gone or already has a cure, people will be more productive as well as companies on the manufacturing side..

its not just miners who are cancer on top of the pandemic..
The manufacturing side isn’t really effected since it’s mostly in china where all the rare earth metals are. It and Taiwan largely have thing under control (Taiwan by pure luck because of geopolitics prior to the pandemic) Its the other shipping logistics and massive shortage of wafers and components that causing havoc there.

Also TSMC is overloaded atm as they are only 7nm fab out there. Intel fabs better catch up soon. We only have intel, samsung, tsmc left as major fabs. The China fabs only serve the local market.

The factories in China were able to run over chinese new year because the government discouraged people to travel to hometown this cny.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just built my new rig with a Z590-A Asus Wifi Gaming Wifi board with a 10700K. Only issue I have is I feel short changes in how many PCI-E lanes this has as my top M.2 is non functional with a 10 series cpu. So if Microcenter in next two weeks starts selling an 11700K you bet I'll buy it depending on cost otherwise going to wait like a year for prices to come down. Need more functioning m.2 slots. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts