Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just built my new rig with a Z590-A Asus Wifi Gaming Wifi board with a 10700K. Only issue I have is I feel short changes in how many PCI-E lanes this has as my top M.2 is non functional with a 10 series cpu. So if Microcenter in next two weeks starts selling an 11700K you bet I'll buy it depending on cost otherwise going to wait like a year for prices to come down. Need more functioning m.2 slots. Thanks.
They won't do that as it would start stepping on x299s shoes

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
They won't do that as it would start stepping on x299s shoes
Do what? Sell an 11 series chip? Yes they will. Question is when. Need one more nvme drive in there.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Sure they would. They 'Intel' want that premium cash for HEDT platofrm.
Exactly. Gotta remember a huge selling point of the hedt platform is pcie lanes right behind cpu cores. Mainstream platform has what 20 lanes? X299 has 48. I tested two gpus at 16x and 4 nvme drives at the same time just to see what happened.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
As I understand with an 11 series cpu the bandwidth doubles from 8x 8x to 16x 16x. Though I am not sure. Not that I care about SLI.

·
Registered
[email protected] swiftech water cooled, 64GB 3466 RAM, MSI GODLIKE X99A, NVE SSD 2TB, 2TB SSD, 1080TI
15 Posts
As I understand with an 11 series cpu the bandwidth doubles from 8x 8x to 16x 16x. Though I am not sure. Not that I care about SLI.
It's no longer about SLI only. Dual GPU's are going away for now (except some cases, mining, or specific games that use em). It's about the nVE and loading a program in a second or less LOL, and having several drives.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
No. still 8x 8x lanes but double the bandwidth per lane. So also 16x PCIE 4.0 lanes is also double the bandwidth of PCI-E 3.0 16 x lanes.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
No. still 8x 8x lanes but double the bandwidth per lane. So also 16x PCIE 4.0 lanes is also double the bandwidth of PCI-E 3.0 16 x lanes.
Pretty much why intel gimps mainstream products its marketing. Cant step on the hedt platforms toes cause it wont sell then.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well would have could have gotten a 11700K if only they were available.

·
OCCT Stable OCD
2,262 Posts
I honestly picked up a 10900k a few days ago because the 2 week old 5900x I had actually died with no replacement stock (first time going AMD in 14 years, never again), the 8 core 16 thread wasn't worth waiting for seeing the extra threads were good.
Will keep this setup until the next full refresh, there's really no need to drop 2 cores if you already have a 10900k

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm considering upgrading my 8700K/Z390 setup to a 11900K/Z590 to see me through until 2023 (or later) when Alder Lake/DDR5 has matured. Seems like a bit of gamble since Alder Lake could be amazing. However many people comment that complete new architecture's are usually not without issues and can be expensive. It also might take some time for Microsoft to adopt this hardware scheduling of the new Intel Big/Little CPU's to have them performing optimally...

·
Registered
Z490/10900 apex 3200c14-1.35vDR Z390/9900k Aorus master 3600c16-1.35v 4x8gb
53 Posts
Only reason I will pick up a 11yh gen will be for memory overclocking my 10900k will still beat it in games like warzone where it scales with cores and memory bandwidth.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,675 Posts
I honestly picked up a 10900k a few days ago because the 2 week old 5900x I had actually died with no replacement stock (first time going AMD in 14 years, never again), the 8 core 16 thread wasn't worth waiting for seeing the extra threads were good.
The 3800xt was utter trash in performance yet here in Convict Town there is no 5900x coming in at all. So couldn't even buy one except waiting for another year to pass on by.

Gave up waiting and went with a new 10900K system from scratch. Loving it.

Will keep this setup until the next full refresh, there's really no need to drop 2 cores if you already have a 10900k
10 cores is alright for now, but we'll see in 2022 whether it starts lacking in performance. Plus have always updated on a yearly basis for the last 24 years. Can't see that stopping completely, even due to AMDs complete lack of supply to foreign countries.

Why Intel steps up and takes away AMDs profit for now. Good on them, if a supplier fails to give quality goods at all, their competitor will just take over, which is what they did with us here.

Don't blame anyone here except for AMD. Hoping Intel burns them in the long run with ever more hardware on the cheap, can't believe I'm saying that when Intel gear was always the most expensive and hard to get. How things change for 2021 and beyond.

·
OCCT Stable OCD
2,262 Posts
The 3800xt was utter trash in performance yet here in Convict Town there is no 5900x coming in at all. So couldn't even buy one except waiting for another year to pass on by.

Gave up waiting and went with a new 10900K system from scratch. Loving it.

10 cores is alright for now, but we'll see in 2022 whether it starts lacking in performance. Plus have always updated on a yearly basis for the last 24 years. Can't see that stopping completely, even due to AMDs complete lack of supply to foreign countries.

Why Intel steps up and takes away AMDs profit for now. Good on them, if a supplier fails to give quality goods at all, their competitor will just take over, which is what they did with us here.

Don't blame anyone here except for AMD. Hoping Intel burns them in the long run with ever more hardware on the cheap, can't believe I'm saying that when Intel gear was always the most expensive and hard to get. How things change for 2021 and beyond.
My 5900x started throwing WHEA 18 errors or hard resets after 2 weeks, there was no fixed it, so I went back to my tried and trusted Intel, been running stable for 2 weeks, even after pounding it with stupid overclocks.
Thought I'd give AMD a second chance, but nope, same old buggy stuff, it was meant to replace my 9900k, gave that system to my son.

I update yearly as well, so whatever Intel do next year I hope it's better than the 8 core 11900k, they seem to be stuck in a rut at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just grabbed a 10700K from Microcenter for the low price of $280, which is quite a bargain. I'm wondering about the 11 series and considering the new chip can be tossed in my Z490. If I buy one, the good deal I got goes out the window. If the chips match or slightly beat the Ryzen chips, are you guys swapping your 10 series for an 11 series? Considering Alder Lake could be coming kind of soon, I'm thinking all this constant upgrading is more of a mental illness than anything else. What's your plan?

Consensus seems to be 70% for a Ryzen 1800X 11/10K, or 65% for an 1800X 10/10K. The current chips are around $450 or so, and should be slightly cheaper than the equivalent Ryzen chips. I'm looking for an SSD for my desktop that works right out of the box, and looks good on Amazon for under $100 and I'll use it with a 120mm stand mount and no fans. The hybrid system is about an $800 build thefleur.net/texas-roadhouse-catering-prices/ .
Personally I just don't care for this platform. Threadripper is and will be a great platform and I'm excited to buy the Threadripper CPUs, but this current platform doesn't do anything for the enthusiast and the X299 platform is a disaster, much of which is the motherboard. I plan to upgrade the CPU to a big ole 28-core monster and I think I'll upgrade to an X299 board as well. I'm not a fan of one x16 and one x8 for a platform that I don't see benefiting with AMD on at least the enthusiast

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Personally I just don't care for this platform. Threadripper is and will be a great platform and I'm excited to buy the Threadripper CPUs, but this current platform doesn't do anything for the enthusiast and the X299 platform is a disaster, much of which is the motherboard. I plan to upgrade the CPU to a big ole 28-core monster and I think I'll upgrade to an X299 board as well. I'm not a fan of one x16 and one x8 for a platform that I don't see benefiting with AMD on at least the enthusiast
How is x299 a disaster? Not attacking im actually curious?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts