·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small question.
Cooler Master XDream II,
Spire Whisper Rock IV,
Speeze Whisper Rock II
Speeze CPU Cooler ((5F394B1L3G)?)-all cooper,air flow 38 ???

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazmaj.ser
Small question.
Cooler Master XDream II,
Spire Whisper Rock IV,
Speeze Whisper Rock II
Speeze CPU Cooler ((5F394B1L3G)?)-all cooper,air flow 38 ???
coolermaster xdream II - i have used most of these coolers in different system this is the quitest and the coolest. if u have a bit of money 2 spend http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m...ct_slk900u.htm with a nice (quiet) 92mm fan

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Whisper Rock IV has a similar heatsink design to the Coolermaster but is larger and the fans are about the same so I would think the Whisper Rock IV would be more efficient.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
the coolermaster has more fins (greater Surface area) and the copper plug insersion method in the coolermaster is better than the in the whisper rock (so better heat transfer betweenthe copper and aluminum) not to mention the whisper rock sounds worse than the coolermaster.. IMO the cooelrmaster is far superior

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Its not one of the options.. but XP-120, I say it would be the best.
all of these coolers are for the socketca (Ath XP) the xp-120 only covers p4 and K8(Athlon 64) - so as isuggested use the slk-900U or slk-947u

·
Registered
108 Posts
Personally, I think the Thermaltake Volcano Extreme 12 is the best buy on the market and according to my research cools at least as well as the SI 97.

One frustrating thing when researching coolers is that the benchmarks are all done under different conditions. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Someone should develop industry standards for benchmarking coolers.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao
all of these coolers are for the socketca (Ath XP) the xp-120 only covers p4 and K8(Athlon 64) - so as isuggested use the slk-900U or slk-947u
No love for the SP-97/Si-97. They are betterer.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

I can't remeber if its compatible.. but the Hyper 6 is a really good one.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
I can't remeber if its compatible.. but the Hyper 6 is a really good one.
the hyper 6 is amazingly good but only for p4 and k8. not as good as a thermalright solution tho as the hyper 6 only supports 80 mm fans while the thermalrights i quoted(the Socket A ones) support up to 92mm

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trents

Personally, I think the Thermaltake Volcano Extreme 12 is the best buy on the market and according to my research cools at least as well as the SI 97.

One frustrating thing when researching coolers is that the benchmarks are all done under different conditions. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Someone should develop industry standards for benchmarking coolers.

the volcano 12 is not as good and it is a noisy MOFO . have to agree that industry standards have to be created or a least a central comparison database..

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I've heard the SI-97 is just as good if not better than the SP-97

the si-97 is better than the sp-97 but i think @ the mo (for the purposes of this thread) this is a buget-limited decision , thats y i suggested the slk-947u (its v cheap now)

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I've heard the SI-97 is just as good if not better than the SP-97

the si-97 is better than the sp-97 but i think @ the mo (for the purposes of this thread) this is a buget-limited decision , thats y i suggested the slk-947u (its v cheap now)

·
Registered
108 Posts
jazmajor.sir,

I am running the Whisper Rock II right now on my machine but with a couple or three mods:

1. I'm using Arctic Silver 5 instead of the goop that came on the heatsink from the factory. I figure that shaved 1-2 degrees Celcius from the cpu tem.
2. I took off the stock quiet fan and installed an 80x80x25 variable speed fan from my Cooler Master X-Dream original. I run the fan at about 3500 rpms and it isn't too noisy. This probably knocks off 2-3 degrees Celcius.
3. And finally, I made a square tube of cardboard that slips over the cooling fan and extends out a whole cut in the side cover of my case (which also is temporarily a sheet of cardboard). This gives the heat sink fan a fresh, unheated air supply about 15-20 degrees Celcius cooler than the air inside the case. This makes a big difference, probably about 4 degreees Celcius in the CPU temp reading.

Before these mods I was idling my moderately overclocked Tbred at 49-51 and now it's a steady 40 degrees C.

With these mods I've cut about 10 degrees of temp from the CPU.

The Whisper Rock IV heatsink should be a little more efficient than the Whisper Rock II's as it has a copper insert in the base. Either one is a great value but only of you aren't intending to overclock more than a little.

I am wating for the Volcano 12 Extreme which I just ordered. I'm hoping it will knock off another 4 degrees C without having the fan set so high that its anoying.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trents

jazmajor.sir,

I am running the Whisper Rock II right now on my machine but with a couple or three mods:

1. I'm using Arctic Silver 5 instead of the goop that came on the heatsink from the factory. I figure that shaved 1-2 degrees Celcius from the cpu tem.
2. I took off the s.......

have to agree with trents. jazmaj.ser do that stuff if u have the time but if u r looking for stock excellent cooling then i suggest (out of your fan choices) the XdreamII. trents-- my hat goes off to you ... would love to c a photo of that excellent thermal solution u created

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:

have to agree with trents. jazmaj.ser do that stuff if u have the time but if u r looking for stock excellent cooling then i suggest (out of your fan choices) the XdreamII. trents-- my hat goes off to you ... would love to c a photo of that excellent thermal solution u created

The link to the pic for my "tunnel ram mod" is in the "AMD Cooling" forum with the string, "Idea for mod". I'm competing for the most tacky mod award for 2004.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts