Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, To be honest, not too sure if it's AMDs fault, but it seems like they have completely stopped shipping Phenom ii processors.. In NZ.
Right when I bought everything for my phenom ii (supposedly) 1100t build.
Now, I live in New Zealand and every single store including online had the phenom ii and now they vanished..
And, right when the only other cpu series they released were getting horrible feedback.

Bulldozer, I'm not hating on it myself, since I do not know the details of this chip. But why would you stop shipping a whole family of processors and swap in a family which processors feels like an experimental design..
I'm so depressed because for a week my rig has sat next to me, lifeless and without a soul (cpu)
I want to know what people think of Bulldozers for Multitasking, Gaming and Overall speed before I sell my motherboard and get an FX socket one.. Otherwise, I may drift to the Intel side of the fence
frown.gif

Cheers

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah it's funny how all the x6 processors have vanished but I really doubt it's AMDs fault, they wouldn't stop production this early.

See if you can buy it from Oz if you need it right now.

Also NZ is horrible for pc parts, just try to build a good water cooled loop, 1 shop for everything and so over priced. 1 thing that pisses me off living here lol

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm currently moving over to intel. for the price of the best bulldozer build you can get an I5 2500K setup which will destroy any bulldozer in all but the most multi-threaded of apps.

If your building new there is absolutely no reason to buy AMD at this time unless your building a HTPC.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
it comes down to needs/preferences/price limit.

the phenom IIs were great processors, your regions import laws may cost AMD more than they want their profit margin to sink to.you could pick up an 8120 and a new am3+ board without breaking the bank. again this depends on the above prerequisites.

overall the BDs CPUs arnt horrible, but they arnt overly impressive either. the phenom II x4 980 and x6 1100T both win and lose different benchmarks to each other. the biggest concern for me in the matter of the bulldozer is its lack of ability to keep up with a newer GPU and its power consumption.

for a few bucks more than an 8150 you could grab an i5 2500k, but im sure you already knew that. what you should really be looking at is what you will be doing with your rig in the next year. are you going to upgrade your graphics card/s or are your rather content in what your dormant computer was capable of doing. if you plan upgrades id suggest going intel, theres plenty of room to grow, and you wont be missing out on anything that AMD has.

my main rig below is epic, IMO. and i love powering it up and tearing games apart, however it isnt necesary. i recently bought an i3 2120 a msi z58-gd55 and two xfx HD 6850s and i have to say, it dosnt take much to tear some newer games up. only spent about $600 and for a new rig that dosnt disapoint is pretty nice. and i dont mind not having my main rig as long as i have this, cept for the media stored on it of course.

ill probably catch some crap for saying this, but id suggest going i3 cpu z68 board, and hold off on huge purchases. you wont be missing a lot from your previous rig, and youll be doing the same thing you were before. and since the IB and n 600s and amd 7000s are around the corner youll probably be very happy to see what kind of additional upgrades you can score for only a little cash.

·
Banned
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geshy View Post

Well, To be honest, not too sure if it's AMDs fault, but it seems like they have completely stopped shipping Phenom ii processors.. In NZ.
Right when I bought everything for my phenom ii (supposedly) 1100t build.
Now, I live in New Zealand and every single store including online had the phenom ii and now they vanished..
And, right when the only other cpu series they released were getting horrible feedback.
Bulldozer, I'm not hating on it myself, since I do not know the details of this chip. But why would you stop shipping a whole family of processors and swap in a family which processors feels like an experimental design..
I'm so depressed because for a week my rig has sat next to me, lifeless and without a soul (cpu)
I want to know what people think of Bulldozers for Multitasking, Gaming and Overall speed before I sell my motherboard and get an FX socket one.. Otherwise, I may drift to the Intel side of the fence
frown.gif

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErOR View Post

Yeah it's funny how all the x6 processors have vanished but I really doubt it's AMDs fault, they wouldn't stop production this early.
See if you can buy it from Oz if you need it right now.
Also NZ is horrible for pc parts, just try to build a good water cooled loop, 1 shop for everything and so over priced. 1 thing that pisses me off living here lol
It's simple strategy by AMD. They don't really like the fact that they're old line is selling WAY better than the new one. Solution? Stop production and shipping of the old line ('specially the EVER popular X6). That way, FX sales go up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by microfister View Post

i recently bought an i3 2120 a msi z58-gd55 and two xfx HD 6850s and i have to say, it dosnt take much to tear some newer games up. only spent about $600 and for a new rig that dosnt disapoint is pretty nice.
Wow, nice nice, but my only concern with grabbing a i3 (apart from the fact its intel
tongue.gif
) Is that I have no idea how long dual core will be in the game for well.. gaming?
As games get more advanced isn't it only a matter of time before dual core is superseded by Six, eight and possibly twelve cores?

That's my question anyways, how long will an intel i3 last me?

Cheers for the replies guys
smile.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
there are only a handful of games that even utilize more than four cores, so thinking your chances of dual cores being outdated so quickly should be dispelled

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then perhaps it would be better to recover my old Athlon ii x2 6000+ from my old backup..?
Or atleast until I find a 2nd hand Six Core or Piledriver comes out..

·
Banned
4,968 Posts
Quote:

Then perhaps it would be better to recover my old Athlon ii x2 6000+ from my old backup..?
Or atleast until I find a 2nd hand Six Core or Piledriver comes out..
It should work, just barely, since the old Athlon architecture isn't nearly as refined as the Athlon IIs'.

Dry digging up a used Thuban.

·
Registered
78 Posts
interesting, i just checked newegg and nope no more 1090T or 1100T only thing left is the 1055T which is multiplier locked
frown.gif
so i guess if u dont wanna go bulldozer u can always look to EBAY!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Quote:

Wow, nice nice, but my only concern with grabbing a i3 (apart from the fact its intel
tongue.gif
) Is that I have no idea how long dual core will be in the game for well.. gaming?
As games get more advanced isn't it only a matter of time before dual core is superseded by Six, eight and possibly twelve cores?
That's my question anyways, how long will an intel i3 last me?
Cheers for the replies guys
smile.gif
look up the 2120, on most games its on par with a 2500k, benchmarking software dosnt like it quite as much, but you cant argue with its gaming performance. i play rage on max settings at 1920x1080 and it keeps around 60-65 fps no problems(cept when i go the the main menu, drops to like 30 for a split second), never hits over 50c(with the stock cooler) and this is after i managed to get it up to(though i didnt push for anymore) 3.5ghz(106.1 bclk). battlefield is the same story (though keep in mind i dont play at max settings, fun fact, turning the graphics down a little definately makes it harder for snipers to hide) stays around 50-60 fps and the lowest ive seen it drop is the mid 40s while playing online. nothing i play stress my i3 out, its actually quite impressive. and i can understand your concern about it not lasting a while, but for the price/performance ratio its quite awesome. the suggestion was more intended as a temporary change, cheap and adequate, and will most certainly hold you off until the ivy bridge processors drop and used 2500k/2600ks start popping up, and their retail prices drop as well.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/44339-intel-core-i3-2120-core-i5-2400-lga1155-processors-review-12.html

edit: id ignore Hardware Canucks overclocking results, they tend to get the bottom of the barrel hardware. they were barely able to get 800mhz core clock out of the same 580s i have at 855 core clock. mite be an issue with their board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done some research, 2120 looks very appealing for its price point. However, going intel would mean a few changes to my Rig and just looking at my case now, in all its cable management-ness just makes me tired. Anyways, selling my mobo, buying a 2120 and Z68 possible sounds like an idea.. I'm just so annoyed at AMD right now, I wonder if anyone else is like me haha.. Cheers, Microfister. Repped.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Quote:

I've done some research, 2120 looks very appealing for its price point. However, going intel would mean a few changes to my Rig and just looking at my case now, in all its cable management-ness just makes me tired. Anyways, selling my mobo, buying a 2120 and Z68 possible sounds like an idea.. I'm just so annoyed at AMD right now, I wonder if anyone else is like me haha.. Cheers, Microfister. Repped.
i too am rather disappointed in amd's recent events. i had originally planned on building an am3+ build with a phenom II x4 and wait for the bulldozer to come out, i was just swayed to intel after reading about the upcoming ivy bridge processors. and as i said the i3 is a rather impressive little processor, 2 cores 4 threads and has decent overclocking (im quite happy with mine, and will see if i can push it to 3.6ghz in the next day or so once i get the vcore rite today i pushed it up to 106.2 bclk before blasting my way through some BF3) for not being able to change the multiplier. not sure what the price point is where your at for computer parts but as i said i3 +mid level, z68, sli/crossfire support, sata III the works will only put you back(in the states) about $250 and really impress you with the price to performance ratio.

not sure what the other components in your rig are but for $250 or less for a new board/cpu you could probably justify picking up a 60-64gb ssd to improve the overall performance as well. really nice addition to any rig, and no one can complain about the performance over a regular hdd.

anyways, good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

hey..if you realllllly want one..i could cop one from the egg b4 they do that here and ship it
Click the link in my post above yours. And then go ahead and try to find one on NewEgg...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

wth.gif
..umm..that's not cool..i bet they do it here,too
frown.gif
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
hey..if you realllllly want one..i could cop one from the egg b4 they do that here and ship it..i gotta bad feeling about this...so glad i ordered a zosma yesterday
applaud.gif
ahhh, yeah I think they might end up pulling the plug on that one. I would realllllllyy want one.. but you see NZD->USD + Shipping = Expensive!
tongue.gif
, thanks for the offer though, loooks like the i3 could be inching its way into the spotlight here, very unusual as I am an AMD Fanboy, desperate times, desperate measures, they say
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahriman View Post

Click the link in my post above yours. And then go ahead and try to find one on NewEgg...
'!!!' haha, never realised that was a link mate
thumb.gif
, choice thanks.

·
Old and Crochity
5,297 Posts
I wonder how much i could sell my 1100T and sig mobo for at this point since the amd chips are getting so rare. really looking to switch to intel.. the fact amd released a bad processor and then when it was so horrid no one would buy it stopped production of the good processors they had makes me wonder.

Wow Amazon shows the price of the AMD 1090T and 1100T jumped over 10%

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-1090T-Processor-HDT90ZFBGRBOX/dp/B003FVI2KQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325773253&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-1100T-Processor-HDE00ZFBGRBOX/dp/B004DALW5K/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325773253&sr=1-3

Ebay is even worse with almost a 100% increase on the 1090T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-Six-Core-Processor-1090T-3-2GHz-/220926124442?pt=CPUs&hash=item337039219a#ht_500wt_1156

might wait another month and then post mine for those prices!

·
35 Cans of Ravioli
24,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post

>Why?
Because some fabrication tools for 45nm are shared with 32nm production.
The cessation of 45nm production will allow for more efficient 32nm production.
(Beneficial to their well selling Llano line, especially.)
This.

Zosmas are still plentiful and have a ridiculously high unlock rate. A lot of functional X6 are being locked and sold as X4s to:

a) get rid of old X6
b) meet demand for cheap X4s
c) boost sales of Llano

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.