Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For various reasons, I was forced to use an old C2D laptop with 3GB of RAM and Windows 7 for most of the past week. What I immediately noticed was that whereas an Android smartphone with 3GB of RAM would probably start dropping old webpages after around the 5th tab (and the iPhone 6 is pretty much the same), I could open about 15 tabs in Chrome on this laptop along with a bunch of other programs before there was any noticeable slowdown.

Are iOS and Android seriously more bloated than Windows 7 is?

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
Prior to the iPhone 6s, iPhones only had 1GB RAM. So they weren't bad at management, they were just starved.

Android's memory manager was pretty bad back in the time of Dalvik. Now that everything's moving/moved to ART, things have gotten substantially better.

What Android device did you notice such issues with? How much RAM and what SoC did it have?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
With desktops you are probably much more conscious about programs running in the background, because it's much less common practice on desktops to have (non system) programs running without them being on the task bar.

While on mobile there are lots of apps that just keep running and keep RAM after you swipe them away. Facebook messenger being the most "notorious" example. On my nexus 5 my battery life halfed if the facebook messenger process was running, even without it being in the recently apps menu list thing.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
You can choose in developer options to kill tasks after they've been changed...or don't keep any background processes.

But still... the OS takes up almost 1GB of the 2 or 3GB you have...

Chrome is completely broken..well most browsers right now are broken on android. I can have 20 tabs or pages on my iphone...and I can switch between them with 0 problems, no reloading. I have 3 tabs in Chrome on my nexus 9 and all the pages reload switching between them... its totally broken and its the #1 reason why I don't use my tablet more... quite sad really.
mad.gif

·
Hi
2,612 Posts
I've left ~9 tabs open on my Nexus 6 and did other things including looking at other chrome tabs as well. It's up to the use to maximize the experience to a degree and then the hardware is a lynchpin as well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

What Android device did you notice such issues with? How much RAM and what SoC did it have?
The 2 devices I had in mind were the OnePlus One and the Galaxy S6. There's a bunch of older devices dating back to the Gingerbread days that I can think of with similar issues, but it wouldn't be an apples-to-apples comparison in their cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisaroth View Post

With desktops you are probably much more conscious about programs running in the background, because it's much less common practice on desktops to have (non system) programs running without them being on the task bar.

While on mobile there are lots of apps that just keep running and keep RAM after you swipe them away. Facebook messenger being the most "notorious" example. On my nexus 5 my battery life halfed if the facebook messenger process was running, even without it being in the recently apps menu list thing.
But with desktops there's also background processes too. Right now, I have 5 programs open under the "Applications" tab of the Task Manager, but 66 processes are currently running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

I've left ~9 tabs open on my Nexus 6 and did other things including looking at other chrome tabs as well. It's up to the use to maximize the experience to a degree and then the hardware is a lynchpin as well.
Did you merely leave them open, or were they still available without reloading when you went back to them?

·
Hi
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post

Did you merely leave them open, or were they still available without reloading when you went back to them?
They were still loaded and available, I usually sit at 1.5-1.6GB free most of the time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post

For various reasons, I was forced to use an old C2D laptop with 3GB of RAM and Windows 7 for most of the past week. What I immediately noticed was that whereas an Android smartphone with 3GB of RAM would probably start dropping old webpages after around the 5th tab (and the iPhone 6 is pretty much the same), I could open about 15 tabs in Chrome on this laptop along with a bunch of other programs before there was any noticeable slowdown.

Are iOS and Android seriously more bloated than Windows 7 is?
Android is. I personally hate android, its devices, and everything about it. Its devices are quite sub par as far as hardware goes, EG batteries, SPECIFICALLY samsung crap, and radios as well. the iPhones battery is actually a decent battery(in MY experience), as well as the iphone's 4g radio. It is way better than basically every Android device radio ive ever used. Once again, all of this is based on my experience with the devices, MINUS battery life, samsung devices just have terrible batteries. HTC on the other hand have decent batteries. My iphone 4 works great still. I currently have 22 tabs open in the iPhone's browser. No noticeable slowdown on the device. I am running iOS 7.1.1 (11D201) currently on it.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
So I'm sitting on OCN right now on my android with 6.0.1 and 2 tabs up, nothing in the background... Ive got 283mb free for a 2gb tablet. Oh and the other tab refreshes too... Slowing down my whole experience... It is quite sad really.

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro_dude View Post

Android is. I personally hate android, its devices, and everything about it. Its devices are quite sub par as far as hardware goes, EG batteries, SPECIFICALLY samsung crap, and radios as well. the iPhones battery is actually a decent battery(in MY experience), as well as the iphone's 4g radio. It is way better than basically every Android device radio ive ever used. Once again, all of this is based on my experience with the devices, MINUS battery life, samsung devices just have terrible batteries. HTC on the other hand have decent batteries. My iphone 4 works great still. I currently have 22 tabs open in the iPhone's browser. No noticeable slowdown on the device. I am running iOS 7.1.1 (11D201) currently on it.
Sorry that you feel that way. I've found that Motorola radios are the best in the world and I've been quite pleased with my Sony Xperia Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

So I'm sitting on OCN right now on my android with 6.0.1 and 2 tabs up, nothing in the background... Ive got 283mb free for a 2gb tablet. Oh and the other tab refreshes too... Slowing down my whole experience... It is quite sad really.
Android will pretty much use whatever you give it. I think you've got something going on in the background messing with you. What kind of tablet?

·
Hi
2,612 Posts
Quote:

Sorry that you feel that way. I've found that Motorola radios are the best in the world and I've been quite pleased with my Sony Xperia Z3
^ Aye Motorola does make a good set of antenna's. I've found there's some type of "death grip" for any phone however that will severely cut down reception. iPhone's not bad though, have a friend with a 6 on Sprint and he gets ~80% of the 4G speed my Nexus 6 and friend's 6P gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Can you screenshot your task/memory manager for whatever's been using the memory in the past 3 or 6 hours?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

^ Aye Motorola does make a good set of antenna's. I've found there's some type of "death grip" for any phone however that will severely cut down reception. iPhone's not bad though, have a friend with a 6 on Sprint and he gets ~80% of the 4G speed my Nexus 6 and friend's 6P gets.
The problem with motorola is they are very proprietary. My brother works with motorola comm radios, and technical support for them is null to say the entire least. he told me its a nightmare... So as with comm radios, im sure their 4g stuff is the same. Requires ALL motorola stuff to work properly.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:

lets take your sony to my work in the hangar and see if you get ANY service inside. Doubt you will, I dont, and neither do my co workers. Steel buildings such as hangars drown out all form of cell connection. VHF on the other hand, it seems to not affect, coz inside a CLOSED hangar, I can use the nav/comm radio in an airplane, and contact either greeley/weld traffic, and hear back, or the greeley/weld unicom, and hear them too.

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
I don't think anyone claimed that cellular antennae and transmitter chains were sufficient to penetrate a metal hangar.... Metal blocks RF after all

·
Hi
2,612 Posts
^ Aye, just take a regular phone into most Home Depots (or something similar) and you'll see signal reception drop like a rock. We're talking about your average joe schmo smartphone, not a purpose built electronic with limited functionality.

However I've worked with Motorola for mobile workstation installations (police cruisers) and they seem to do just fine for the application and aren't bad to troubleshoot should the need arise.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Quote:

Android will pretty much use whatever you give it. I think you've got something going on in the background messing with you. What kind of tablet?
Isn't they way androids memory management works different from, say windows, because it is a mobile OS on a phone? I mean, loading from RAM is more efficient that grabbing data from storage. I'm not saying that the way it works is or isn't good/bad, more of the principal behind why I guess? I'll admit I don't have a great understanding of deeper level things such as this, but I'd like to learn, so if I'm wrong, let me know
tongue.gif

I'm also curious as to what tablet it is, if it is already running 6.x.

I'll just throw it out there that the LG G3 has been pretty good to me so far, it was even before root/custom kernel/tweaks.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I also vouch for the Motorola's. I'm extremely impressed with my Nexus 6. Call quality is amazing, build quality is awesome, and in general it's just a quality device. I will also vouch for Marshmallow. Super snappy, and not a single crash since I've owned the device. IMO stock or close to stock Android is the only way to go. I will never buy another Samsung or LG device.

EDIT: I also tried out their lower end budget phone the Moto E and was very impressed with the build quality, speed, and battery life. It is more than enough for your basic web browsing and phone call needs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts