Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. Why are non-tradeable games as expensive as console games?

This is the #1 thing that kept me from keeping my gaming rig and is also keeping me from building another one. I feel I barely played anything other than CS:GO due to the fear of wasting $60 on a new release that I'd easily get bored of, and let's face it, majority of new AAA releases are trash you get bored of after a week. With my PS4, I can pre-order a game off Amazon for 20% off and sell it immediately after for barely any loss if I decide it doesn't suit my taste. Case and point: The Division. GameStop also offers a [5-7?] day free return period on used games.

Why is Fallout 4 still $60 on Steam and GMG, when it's $30-40 for PS4/XB1 from every major retailer.

/rant

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Most video games in general have a very short life span, say a year or two, so developers have to recoup thier costs quickly. Also with PC games your not really buying a disk with the game software on it, your really purchasing a license or subscription to run and play the game. It's much harder to resell a license/subscription than a physical game disk.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Very surprising that Fallout 4 is cheaper on console. With that being said there are at least a few legit sites that sell game keys for much less than Steam.

But doesn't Steam allow for refunds now? Within 48 hours if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
For as many hours as you play the game and are "entertained" its actually one of the cheapest forms of entertainment out there... Look at golf.. I can spend anywhere from $18-250 for 4-5 hour round..and be mad at myself when I get done too... But then again I did use motor skills, get out in the sun, socialize, show off, drive a golf cart recklessly....etc...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

For as many hours as you play the game and are "entertained" its actually one of the cheapest forms of entertainment out there... Look at golf.. I can spend anywhere from $18-250 for 4-5 hour round..and be mad at myself when I get done too... But then again I did use motor skills, get out in the sun, socialize, show off, drive a golf cart recklessly....etc...
I definitely agree with that. I equate everything to a round of drinks in NYC. So $60 for me can go in a half hour on a Friday night.

It's really the principle - I guess I'm bitter that I've gotten burned by crappy console ports so many times!

·
Overclocker
11,633 Posts
Because you would have to buy like in the old times and FDD/CD/DVD with the game but nowadays even if you get your hands on that it will still require you to connect online to activate it or even to play singleplayer you have to be connected to internet so they can make it "harder" to circumvent. Games on PC have become much more popular after about 2000-2005 and they also become shorter, more expensive to develop, lack a decent storyline if they even have one, lack singleplayer sometimes alltogether, overall became quite crappy when it comes to original ideas and story and the work is instead spent on technical stuff to get the "best" looking game instead of the most enjoyable to play game. The development costs have gone up especially with all the graphical fidelity some people require.

Consoles have started to go the same way about it to disable resell, but I think PS4 still allows it, Xbox One doesn't or what was the newest comparable one.

Of course we would all prefer to buy transferable/resellable copies and in some countries it should be that way by law problem is companies like Steam ignore laws, don't operate in those countries so they often think or find loopholes to avoid it because everything is possible in USA to be monetized and limited, wouldn't work that well if it was a company from EU. At minimum it should clearly state like other EU game devs do that you are buying a license to play the game and not buying a copy of the game itself.

You get your hands on Fallout 4 DVD/BD for PC you are legally allowed in EU to sell it, problem is you probably can't play it as the second owner without circumventing the protections even though you should be able.

Why not rent games right? Wanna play for a week? There you go $10/week for Fallout 4.

Imagine if the same went to movies, only the original owner would be able to watch them lol, you give it to a friend, won't play, sell it, won't play, ... in some ways this has already been done by forcing DVD/BD zones/regions. Move to a different country or continent? Better take your DVD/BD player with your movie collection with you.

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is why I don't buy digital games for AAA games. I just look for the disk version and buy it. Much cheaper and most of the time I still have to thru steam again anyways lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I often wonder this myself. Since the XB1 and PS4 release PC games have seen no increase in quality but have seen an increase in price. I'm guessing that because of the equal-footing the 3 now have with programming they're having to up the PC price or Consoles will lose out on more sales.

I didn't mind that Skyrim was £35 on launch, now I'm looking at Civilisation 6 priced at £59 for a digital edition, £70 for the game and season pass. I really don't know what the hell is going on but TBH I'm thinking of quitting this "Form of entertainment" if it ever goes near £100 for a game. The industry is spending millions on making crap most of the time and as usual, We the gamers have to foot the bill.

I think on the other hand you're comparing Apples to Oranges. Storefronts to Digital downloading

Lets take GAME.co.uk (Game.co.uk Fallout 4 prices. )

PC: £27.99
xb1: £24.99
PS4: £24.99

I can only imagine it's lower for the Consoles because they want to get rid of the copies, everyone buys Bethesda games on PC. I noticed they still had PiP-boy editions for the consoles left too.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
What puzzles me the most is that you pay digital version the same price as a boxed physical version...i miss the time when you had to go to the shop and pick the game on shelves.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFinside View Post

What puzzles me the most is that you pay digital version the same price as a boxed physical version...i regret the time when you had to go to the shop and pick the game on shelves.
This will always remind me of the time Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun came out. I could not wait to pop down to PC world and buy that. £20 (£19.99 ) for a brand new Triple-A RTS and it was a brilliant game. Then again there weren't many "Bad" high-priced titles. Now, I'll pay for a plastic DVD case that has a DVD in it, nothing else and spend £50, instead of the Cardboard box, thick manual with backstories / descriptions and controls, CD jewel-case.

I miss those days lol, not that I miss cardboard cases
tongue.gif

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superplush View Post

This will always remind me of the time Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun came out. I could not wait to pop down to PC world and buy that. £20 (£19.99 ) for a brand new Triple-A RTS and it was a brilliant game. Then again there weren't many "Bad" high-priced titles. Now, I'll pay for a plastic DVD case that has a DVD in it, nothing else and spend £50, instead of the Cardboard box, thick manual with backstories / descriptions and controls, CD jewel-case.

I miss those days lol, not that I miss cardboard cases
tongue.gif
Different times...this business model (digital) succeeded because we, consumers, paid for that to happen. They (industry) would be silly not to milk us since we asked for that, or at least supported this with our money and consumer behavior.

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFinside View Post

Different times...this business model (digital) succeeded because we, consumers, paid for that to happen. They (industry) would be silly not to milk us since we asked for that, or at least supported this with our money and consumer behavior.
Indeed. With the physical pricing model dead and gone on PC, there is no longer any reason for devs/publishers to keep pricing low.

That said, I don't do much gaming on PC anymore with the exception of a few titles, after having multiple accounts hacked and not getting reimbursed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post

Why is Fallout 4 still $60 on Steam and GMG, when it's $30-40 for PS4/XB1 from every major retailer.

/rant
Steam and GMG are just two retailers you can get Fallout 4 from. While I'm a bit surprised Fallout 4 is 60 bucks on GMG, generally speaking with digital retailers like Steam they are not very reactive to changes in the market so their prices aren't competitive.. Fallout 4 is 60 bucks on Steam for the same reason it's 60 bucks on the Playstation Store or Xbox Marketplace.
More active retailers like Amazon, Ebay, Gamestop and dozens of others will have the game for cheaper because they tend to be more reactive to the market. Fallour 4 for PC is 32 bucks on Amazon right now, ironically 5 bucks cheaper than the XB1 version and only a dollar more than the PS4 version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post

With my PS4, I can pre-order a game off Amazon for 20% off and sell it immediately after for barely any loss if I decide it doesn't suit my taste.
Again, you can also preorder games 20% off Amazon for PC, in fact I'm planning on doing that for BF1... but of course there's the caveat that you can't sell it afterwards. That is a downside for people who like to sell their games, personally I never sold my games on my PS3 so it never really bothered me anyway.

PC games aren't more expensive than console games, both PC and console games more or less cost the same... and honestly if you're a little patient nothing can really beat Steam sales.

I have personally never spent more than 40 bucks on any PC game and I've preordered games like GTA V, BF4 and MGSV, basically triple A games. And I didn't even go through the lengths of using a VPN to get even better pricing from digital retailers in Mexico and Brazil.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It is very simple, PC games are so expensive because we continue to pay the price they demand for them. If nobody on the planet bought the next three overpriced AAA PC titles what do you think would happen?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essanbee View Post

It is very simple, PC games are so expensive because we continue to pay the price they demand for them. If nobody on the planet bought the next three overpriced AAA PC titles what do you think would happen?
They'd not only sell cheaper games, but also produce cheaper games.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotional Post-it Note View Post

They'd not only sell cheaper games, but also produce cheaper games.
I'm sure there would be other unintended consequences, maybe some really bad ones, but the only real power we have is closing our collective wallets.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts