Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it doesn't have to be ASUS but I would prefer a highly rated monitor with DVI / HDMI for gaming. I currently have an HP w2408 that I am going to dual monitor with.

Dimensions of HP w2408:
16.3H x 23.1W x 11.4D inches

ASUS VW246H

ASUS VH232H

ASUS VH236H

ASUS VH242H

Which one would you choose? I can hardly tell the difference except the response times and sizes.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Unless your current monitor is really bad I would suggest getting the same monitor.
The reason being if you get one with identical stand-bezels dual screening looks better.
Although I do love my brand new 24" ASUS VS...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak;15267659
Although I do love my brand new 24" ASUS VS...
I've heard some complaints about the VS series having a base that loves to wobble, any experience with any of that?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the VH242HL-P (VH242H with height adjustment), and I can say it's a great monitor. The only annoyance I have is the buttons are on the bottom edge instead of a side or face of the monitor. This is a minor con, though. The colors are good and easy to set. The screen has a matte, or antiglare, panel, making it good if you work around a lot of lights. I've had mine for about 2 years or so, and have had no problems from it.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Asus is probably the best manufacturer of low end affordable monitors. They have decent image quality and low input lag most of the time, with relatively few issues.
Other low quality brands are often less reliable, have issues, or inferior panel quality.

You should be able to see the differences between the panels (that actually would matter to someone who would have to ask what to look for) from the details section of newegg. Glossy vs matte, VESA, resolution, size, and that's it.

I'd recommend ASUS VH236H or ASUS VH242H out of those. Newer models, and bigger.

That being said though, asus is not high quality over all, it's just high quality among the low end section.

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,842 Posts
VH23xx series are 2ms GTG and VH24xx are 5ms. I dunno about input lag. You should check review sites.

·
Registered
109 Posts
do any of the "VH" models have tilt/height adjustment? It seems only the incredibly expensive "VG" models bundled with 3d glasses have those features. That would be a shame.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I've read about asus switching out panels on the same model. Not really a practice i condone, because you read a review on a monitor and you get something different.

just something to think about.

planar, samsung, mitsubishi, sony, NEC are companies who don't do this

·
Registered
109 Posts
It looks like only VG has the height adjustment function. Newegg does offer the VG236HE without the 3D kit, but its still $320, probably due to the 120hz and not the height adjustment.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by podunk;15307401
It looks like only VG has the height adjustment function. Newegg does offer the VG236HE without the 3D kit, but its still $320, probably due to the 120hz and not the height adjustment.
Yes, 120hz monitors are usually quite expensive. That's why it costs so much.

Do what I do. If you are unsatisfied with the height of the monitor, stack up some books under it or the monitor next to it to make them even.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Zant;15307413
Yes, 120hz monitors are usually quite expensive. That's why it costs so much.

Do what I do. If you are unsatisfied with the height of the monitor, stack up some books under it or the monitor next to it to make them even.
biggrin.gif
I'm worried about the monitor being too high, so I wouldn't be able to do that. I prefer looking slightly down at the screen, so my current monitor's screen is about 2 inches from the top of the desk. I might go for it anyways, since I am curious as to how 120hz looks in games and movies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts