Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

There is something I can'g quite figure out: why do we base our temps on Prime95 testing?

I have a Nactua U12P which I just upgraded with 2 1900RPM Scythe Slip Stream fans (rated at 110 CFM). At 1.39 VCore and 4.2ghz processor, I tested in Prime95 last night for about 20 minutes and the max temp was 78C.

However, I never use my four processors at 90% nor can I think of what I could do that would create such a scenario. With uTorrent downloading, a window of Google Chrome open, and paying Just Cause 2 at full settings, my CPU doesn't go into the 70s. In fact, though I'm not certain, I don't think it even breaks 60c.

Why then, do we worry about the temps found in Prime95 if we are never going to use the computer under such stress in our daily use?

Daniel

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
its for general stability and to see max tempterature

if u survive hours of prime95 it means u wont be getting any Blackscreen of Deaths and have a chance at corrupting your OS

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by danforz
View Post

Hey guys,

There is something I can'g quite figure out: why do we base our temps on Prime95 testing?

I have a Nactua U12P which I just upgraded with 2 1900RPM Scythe Slip Stream fans (rated at 110 CFM). At 1.93 VCore and 4.2ghz processor, I tested in Prime95 last night for about 20 minutes and the max temp was 78C.

However, I never use my four processors at 90% nor can I think of what I could do that would create such a scenario. With uTorrent downloading, a window of Google Chrome open, and paying Just Cause 2 at full settings, my CPU doesn't go into the 70s. In fact, though I'm not certain, I don't think it even breaks 60c.

Why then, do we worry about the temps found in Prime95 if we are never going to use the computer under such stress in our daily use?

Daniel

I really hope that bolded part is a typo... Anyway, we stress test to give us a worst-case scenario, and while some won't ever push their computer to the limits, others will. It's nice to know that your pc will be fine no matter what you use it for.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakageta
View Post

I really hope that bolded part is a typo... Anyway, we stress test to give us a worst-case scenario, and while some won't ever push their computer to the limits, others will. It's nice to know that your pc will be fine no matter what you use it for.

Yes,that was a typo :)

Now, assuming I don't fold or benchmark, and just pay games/surf/dvds, the Prime95 temps thus wouldn't be a big deal correct?

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
If you dont fold/benchmark or encode videos and just use it for gaming no you shouldnt worry too much about prime temps.

But if your temps are hitting 90c+ in prime then there can always be a possibility it will hit that one day without you noticing it.
Some games do take use of your CPU, i heard GTAIV is one.

If i were you atleast test it for a good 1 hour.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris
View Post

If you dont fold/benchmark or encode videos and just use it for gaming no you shouldnt worry too much about prime temps.

But if your temps are hitting 90c+ in prime then there can always be a possibility it will hit that one day without you noticing it.
Some games do take use of your CPU, i heard GTAIV is one.

If i were you atleast test it for a good 1 hour.

If I was to do an hour long test, would it be a problem if temps were in high 70's?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yes,that was a typo :)

Now, assuming I don't fold or benchmark, and just pay games/surf/dvds, the Prime95 temps thus wouldn't be a big deal correct?

No, not a huge deal. However, Prime95 testing can tell you more than just what your temps are. It can possibly bring unknown issues into the light. What if you didn't apply your thermal paste well enough? What if you just barely getting by at your overclock to do the "normal" computing you do?

We don't monitor our CPU's temps constantly so we take them for granted that they are just working and doing ok under that heat sink. Running Prime95 for a few hours or 24 just gives you that piece of mind that everything is good to go and you won't come across any unhappy surprises.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Quote:

View Post

If I was to do an hour long test, would it be a problem if temps were in high 70's?

High 70s and you dont plan to fold/benchmark/video encode...your fine.

But again 1 hour wont test if your 100% stable, well nothing can but more hours = better chance of knowing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silviastud
View Post

We don't monitor our CPU's temps constantly so we take them for granted that they are just working and doing ok under that heat sink.

I do! But I fold and i live in Miami with the lovely heat and humidity

·
Registered
141 Posts
We look at those temps to see if we are comfortable with the temps the cpu will reach at 100% load. So at anytime in the future if you need to use the cpu to its fullest, you will have nothing to worry about. If a Prime temp is below 80 at your high ambient room temperature youre in the clear. Of course if you could get it lower then itd be better for the cpu, but its up to you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie Killa
View Post

We look at those temps to see if we are comfortable with the temps the cpu will reach at 100% load. So at anytime in the future if you need to use the cpu to its fullest, you will have nothing to worry about. If a Prime temp is below 80 at your high ambient room temperature youre in the clear. Of course if you could get it lower then itd be better for the cpu, but its up to you.

If I'm maxing out at 78c (need to do longer test but lets just say) how long would you expect my CPU to last?

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by danforz View Post
If I'm maxing out at 78c (need to do longer test but lets just say) how long would you expect my CPU to last?
Long enough for you to want to upgrade.
You said your not going to do any intensive CPU stuff so your fine.

Even those of us who use it 24/7 folding will have it for very very long time, longer than needed.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Prime/IBT/LinX temps don't matter even if you fold. My Q6600 running IBT at 3.6GHz will hit 80C in two minutes, but folding will not go above 65c in ten hours (yes thats SMP folding with all four cores maxed).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hey guys,

I have a Nactua U12P which I just upgraded with 2 1900RPM Scythe Slip Stream fans (rated at 110 CFM). At 1.39 VCore and 4.2ghz processor, I tested in Prime95 last night for about 20 minutes and the max temp was 78C.

Daniel

playing css with 64 ppl in server max out cpu usage lol

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Have you tried to run linx/IBT? I bet your temps reach 83c. I would lower your OC to 4ghz. Your really not going to notice any difference. But hey what do I know? I have a friend that runs his i7 950 @ 85C under linx, and he has had his computer longer than mine.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
It's more to weed out a potential problem than to see what your CPU will hit during normal use. The only thing that warms my CPU up anywhere near what it hits on stress tests is L4D2, and even then it's not even close to the max temps P95 etc generate.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Like others have said, it's to test the overall stability of your machine. If you can run Prime95 for 12 hours and do 20 passes of LinX without crashing, then just about anything else you're doing on it won't be able to bring it down.

The temp is most useful to determine if you can push your oc further or if you might have to back it down a little.

I'd say see if you can do 20 passes of LinX with All memory selected. If you don't crash or get errors, you're really stable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.