Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why should i get a ati card instead of a nvidia? And if i do go with ati should i get a 4850,4870, or a 5750? Or is a gts 250 better than these cards? im trying to spend no more than $100 on a graphics card and plan to get these cards on sale.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
ATI usually covers mid range better, ATI and Nvidia have different architectures which is how their card's are designed.

It really comes down to this card and price vs this card and price.

Its hard to get too good of a drive for 150$ currently though, if you are willing to go up to ~170$ you can get a 5770. All depends on your screen resolution.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash The Beast View Post
Why should i get a ati card instead of a nvidia? And if i do go with ati should i get a 4850,4870, or a 5750? Or is a gts 250 better than these cards? im trying to spend no more than $100 on a graphics card and plan to get these cards on sale.
Out of the cards you mentioned, the HD4870 is the fastest. The HD4850 and HD5750 are equal, and the GTS250 is somewhat equal to those as well.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
Both ATI and Nvidia make great cards but...

The question should be: Why should I get an Nvidia card?

You said yourself you have a budget. If you do some research and look at performance/price the answer should be quite obvious.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Ati is bang for your buck.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ATI is an amazing alternative if you don't mind slightly inferior technology, don't want parallel computing architecture, can't handle efficient drivers.

Quote:
You said yourself you have a budget. If you do some research and look at performance/price the answer should be quite obvious.
you're right, it should be obvious, with the power you'll gain from parallel computing with your nvidia gpu, you won't need to buy that expensive processor to keep up with your friends...

I'm running a Q6700.. quad core I overclocked to 3.5ghz.
My room mate has a new i7 oc to way faster than my proc could ever dream of, but my computer is usually a little faster because I'm using the 480 cores in the vc for parallel processing..

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
i would suggest to look at the for sale section here on ocn, grab a decent 5770 and be happy you bought a kickbutt card for the money. its prolly going to run you ~ 140 - 150 used, and ocn has a great deal of good traders!

im running a single 5770 right now, and honestly my games run perfectly fine compared to the 5870 i had in here last night.

side note, if you are a nvidia person, grab a gtx 260 used, they shouldn't go for more then 150 either, and are better for folding and physix related games

driver wise as stated above, i cannot confirm any flaws in single gpu setups from ati at all!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by damric View Post
Both ATI and Nvidia make great cards but...

The question should be: Why should I get an Nvidia card?

Generally more powerful.

The real and only question is where can I get a Nvidia car at ATI price?

·
Village Idiot
2,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rymn View Post
ATI is an amazing alternative if you don't mind slightly inferior technology, don't want parallel computing architecture, can't handle efficient drivers.

you're right, it should be obvious, with the power you'll gain from parallel computing with your nvidia gpu, you won't need to buy that expensive processor to keep up with your friends...

I'm running a Q6700.. quad core I overclocked to 3.5ghz.
My room mate has a new i7 oc to way faster than my proc could ever dream of, but my computer is usually a little faster because I'm using the 480 cores in the vc for parallel processing..
What applications are you running that take advantage of CUDA?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider
View Post

Generally more powerful.

The real and only question is where can I get a Nvidia car at ATI price?

That's to be taken with a pinch of salt. There are cases where ATI come on top. It's easier to out-do your competition if you know what you have to beat. NVIDIA know exactly what the 5000 series cards are capable of so it shouldn't be of any surprise that at least the top NVIDIA Fermi card will beat the current top ATI card. Whether ATI rebuts at that is another question altogether. As for technology features, the one that has more money comes on top. If you can pay enough developers enough money to endorse your features and if you can afford to buy off companies such as 3DFX (for SLi) and Ageia (for PhysX), you can cram all those into your product. Both "buying off" techniques make you. ATI either missed the opportunity or couldn't afford to do such a thing.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007
View Post

That's to be taken with a pinch of salt. There are cases where ATI come on top. It's easier to out-do your competition if you know what you have to beat. NVIDIA know exactly what the 5000 series cards are capable of so it shouldn't be of any surprise that at least the top NVIDIA Fermi card will beat the current top ATI card. Whether ATI rebuts at that is another question altogether. As for technology features, the one that has more money comes on top. If you can pay enough developers enough money to endorse your features and if you can afford to buy off companies such as 3DFX (for SLi) and Ageia (for PhysX), you can cram all those into your product. Both "buying off" techniques make you. ATI either missed the opportunity or couldn't afford to do such a thing.

It doesn't matter who bought what company. I don't care about what opportunnities lost who.

What I care about is who offers hte best product to the consumer.

If I remember correctly, there's been a WHILE since the last time that ATI had a more powerful card than Nvidia in one generation. GTX285 was faster than 4890, GTX295 than the 4870X2, 8800Ultra than the HD3870?, etc.

Nvidias are more pricey, normally. But better in most of the aspects. That's why the main question is where can you find a Nvidia card at a low price.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
Back to the OP:

For $100 ---> ATI without a question.

There is no current Nvidia card that can beat a current ATI card at a given price.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Excuse me, but that is total bs.
ATI has the current technology upperhand with the new generation card's aa/af filtration imagery.
The latest Nvidia drivers were cooler fan interfering card-busters. On the other hand ATI is improving the hd5000 performance with each edition.
Also, stating that ATI doesn't have a parallel computing architecture is false. 160 parallel computers under each hd5770's hood.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Man there is a lot of BS being said on here, and coming from Nvidia fanbois.

I agree with a post a couple up from this 1.

Even an 8800 GT could be picked up cheaper than $100 bux, and they are brilliant cards.
Had one myself before just up grading to 5850, yeah for some
Quote:

Frikken Fanbois make me sick..

As for the 8800 GT I was referring to, none to shabby, just doesn't like BC2, or N4FS.
9800 is just a re-badged 8800, you might be better off getting an 8800 if you can find one and save some $..

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Out of shear curiosity, do you plan on folding on your gpu?

If you do, then try to get an 8800/9800 series card as they're likely in your price range (saw a nice 8800GT in the Video for sale earlier for $85 shipped)

If you're not folding, I think you're going to get slightly more for your money at a lower price point with the ATI as well. Keep an eye on Newegg for Open Box 5770s or for used ones here at a decent deal.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider
View Post

It doesn't matter who bought what company. I don't care about what opportunnities lost who.

What I care about is who offers hte best product to the consumer.

If I remember correctly, there's been a WHILE since the last time that ATI had a more powerful card than Nvidia in one generation. GTX285 was faster than 4890, GTX295 than the 4870X2, 8800Ultra than the HD3870?, etc.

Nvidias are more pricey, normally. But better in most of the aspects. That's why the main question is where can you find a Nvidia card at a low price.

what i remmeber reading i thought the 4870x2 bested the gtx295...and the 295 only won fps in one game...nvidia has not always had the strongest card...seems like you are an nvidia fanboy

1 - 20 of 64 Posts