Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He got a rig with an athlon II x4 635 and a gtx 460 768mb. He's trying to run TF2 on max settings at 1400x900 and he's getting stuttering and unstable frames overall. Source games are CPU-heavy right? Does the CPU need to be overclocked?

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
Honestly I dont know what the hell is wrong with this game, whether or not you can max it seems completely random.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
TF2 relies heavily on the CPU,so your friend should overclock the CPU to get better results,in the other hand the Quadcores do not work well with this game,so the number of cores will not make a difference, just the speed clock of the CPU.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
I can't max it. I had to drop the graphics from max @1920x1080 to slightly lower @1680x1050 recently after an update.

The game does most of its graphical work on the processor. They decided that more computers have a good CPU, than an average CPU + a good GPU.

I was thinking of going x2 5000+ because TF2, even the easiest to run game, doesn't run well. And I can't afford the 450€ it would take me to upgrade to a phenom 2. (Problems I'm too tired to explain).

But 1440x900 can't max out with a quad core + gtx460? Lol. That's not how it is supposed to be. It should PWN that game.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
if hes getting stuttering, and not only low frames, its likely a driver issue. driver clean the nvidia drivers and everything for the video card, and reinstall a fresh downloaded driver from their site.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant
View Post

I can't max it. I had to drop the graphics from max @1920x1080 to slightly lower @1680x1050 recently after an update.

The game does most of its graphical work on the processor. They decided that more computers have a good CPU, than an average CPU + a good GPU.

I was thinking of going x2 5000+ because TF2, even the easiest to run game, doesn't run well. And I can't afford the 450€ it would take me to upgrade to a phenom 2. (Problems I'm too tired to explain).

But 1440x900 can't max out with a quad core + gtx460? Lol. That's not how it is supposed to be. It should PWN that game.

As i told you the number of cores does not affect this game , a dual core can run it better at 4.0 GHZ than a core i7980X that has 6 cores at stock clocks,also it does not rely much on a GPU.

If he overclocks the CPU to at least 3.4 or 3.5,he will pwn this game.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueOptic
View Post

Just another random question, is starcraft 2 CPU-dependent as well?

Pretty much all RTS games are CPU dependent.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

View Post

More CPU speed dependant,again quadcores are not necessary to run this types of games at max.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The source engine is bugged to hell. You cant even play TF2 on lowest settings on an integrated intel gfx with a core2 processor >.<

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sP00N
View Post

The source engine is bugged to hell. You cant even play TF2 on lowest settings on an integrated intel gfx with a core2 processor >.<

Thats weird, my i3 at stock clocks runs source at 60fps with almost no drop (maybe down to 55FPS at most) during heavy fights... while MAXED out. and the issue that you are refering to is likely due to the INTEGRATED gfx, which is worthless for any type of gaming at all.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Quote:

View Post

very cpu-speed dependent

i noticed a huge fps jump going from stock 3.2ghz to 3.9-4ghz

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Pentium Dual core 2.6ghz e5300 with a 9800Gt eco card could max this game No Problem. 40-70ish FPS, so you could tell your buddy to try this : go into Steam and go to his library. Left click on team fortress 2. Click on the property's button at the bottom. In the window that pops up, click on the "local files" tab. Then Click the "verify integrity of game cache" button. It will make sure all his TF2 files are in tact. Then after that is done checking, click on the " defragment cache" button and let that run. These work for me. It seems that all the constant updates to this game reek havoc on the game file's

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Dont set anti aliasing too high. >__>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts