Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sata 3 is going to be here for long long time. Many of our old system support RAID.

NAND flash has been exceeding Sata 3 bandwidth for long time,

I always wondered, why cant SSD maker make a build-in native RAID 0, SSD that use two Sata3 ports? That would be theoretically 12Gbps and still compatible with existing system that doesnt have NVME.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,899 Posts
Putting two SATA SSDs in RAID 0 offers very little real world performance gains. It'd be a niche product. People who need a faster drive buy NVME.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Sata 3 is going to be here for long long time. Many of our old system support RAID.

NAND flash has been exceeding Sata 3 bandwidth for long time,

I always wondered, why cant SSD maker make a build-in native RAID 0, SSD that use two Sata3 ports? That would be theoretically 12Gbps and still compatible with existing system that doesnt have NVME.
It wouldn't really be SATA standard anymore if they do that. I'm not sure how or if motherboards would even be able to handle such an SSD.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hm, I don't know if you could exceed sata3 speed at all. If that's possible, you wouldn't need nvme standard, I think. You could just plug two or more cables from sata disk and voila ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
You are literally describing SATA Express ;)

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
You are literally describing SATA Express ;)
Not exactly. SATA Express needs to be explicitly supported by the motherboard. OP was talking about using regular SATA ports on existing non-SATA Express motherboard with the SSD creating the RAID instead of the host system.

If it were feasible and the market for it large enough, it would be done already. Alas, likely not worth the development cost.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
I built a SATA/SAS Raid 0 about 5 years ago, through PCI-E 2.0 x8 card, which has its own processor (not a pseudoprocessor).

NVME M.2 drives nowadays have better bandwidth over PCI-E (higher version, 4x, and more effective protocol), while not using SATA allowed much more IOPS...

I would not expect SATA 3 will go away anytime soon, but its little to no reason to build it in a way i did 5 years ago. It costed me around 1000 euro, now it would be still around 500...

Compared to NVME drive its massive (5 slots, cabling, card in PCIe slot), with little, to no benefit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts