Discussion Starter #1
Being a proud owner of a Q6600
i've decided to do what "almost" everyone with Q6600s do with them
OVERCLOCK THAT **** !! =D YEAH

I've hit the wall at 3.1GHZ with exceptional temps
Idle 22C (varies due to room temperature) and Load 35~39C
Cores at 48C at 100% Load

that gives me like what, A bunch of overclocking, right
Well not exactly, I don't boot after 3.1ghz even if I set the voltage to auto to overclock
but right now its at 1.39V

I'm open to all ideas here, and since I'm like a *noob* at overclock

I'm guessing it could be a motherboard problem

but it seems like i'm not the only one with this 3.1GHZ wall

anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Is it a SLACR? I thought the later steppings were almost all guaranteed to get at least 3.2ghz. There may be a few that don't but the majority seemed to get there easy.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i never had that problem when i had one. of course i wasnt using a nvidia based chipset. i heard they had problems. i used a biostar tpower board and i had mine at 3.6 for most of its life before i sold it. i know for sur that it took more than 1.39v to get there though. after droop i think mine was at 1.4 at least. what are your other voltages at?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan View Post
i never had that problem when i had one. of course i wasnt using a nvidia based chipset. i heard they had problems. i used a biostar tpower board and i had mine at 3.6 for most of its life before i sold it. i know for sur that it took more than 1.39v to get there though. after droop i think mine was at 1.4 at least. what are your other voltages at?
i'm embarrased to say
but all the other voltages are on auto

and this problem isn't limited to nvidia-based chipsets
I've read forums with P45s, x38s, and x48s with this problem

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
nVidia 7 series boards have no issues hitting 1800 FSB, which is plenty for a Q6600..

I recommend doing a bios update, you seem to be dealing with a different issue then your cpu. My 750i had issues from 1600 FSB to 1750 FSB with a no post, updated bios and it fixed itself.

So try either flashing to a more recent bios, or jump past whatever your going for as far as OC, if you setting it 100 higher, try 150 or 200.
3.15 should be 1400 FSB on a 9x multi, try 1600 or 1650, maybe lower the multi to 8x..

If it was your cpu I believe you would post and boot to windows, but just be unstable.

I can get my board to post at 1800 FSB xith a 9x multi for 3.825, just needs too much vcore to be stable.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminatorXT
View Post

Being a proud owner of a Q6600
i've decided to do what "almost" everyone with Q6600s do with them
OVERCLOCK THAT **** !! =D YEAH

I've hit the wall at 3.1GHZ with exceptional temps
Idle 22C (varies due to room temperature) and Load 35~39C
Cores at 48C at 100% Load

that gives me like what, A bunch of overclocking, right
Well not exactly, I don't boot after 3.1ghz even if I set the voltage to auto to overclock
but right now its at 1.39V

I'm open to all ideas here, and since I'm like a *noob* at overclock

I'm guessing it could be a motherboard problem

but it seems like i'm not the only one with this 3.1GHZ wall

anyone got any ideas?

Based on experience, I'd say it is due to a high vid. A lot may disagree with me and say that vid has nothing to do with a chip's overclocking potential.. but my Q6600 which I acquired Nov 2008 batch L8 has a vid of 1.325v (the highest vid for Q6600s), and dammit I have trouble passing 3.2GHz!!! that's my wall... no matter how much voltage I feed the CPU it just won't stabilize at 3.4GHz..

It's kind of discouraging seeing other Q6600 owners complain that they can't get past 3.6GHz or can't stabilize at 3.6GHz with 1.4v... ***?! I need 1.4v to stabilize at a mere 3.2GHz!!!
haha anyway, sorry for ranting! Just frustrating is all

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Funny thing is I have a L737B batch with a 1.21 VID, it runs rock stable at 1.32v for 3.15. But I need 1.42 to get stable at 3.2 and 1.49v to get to 3.6, I also need H20 to keep it cool enough...

Seems most cpu's are different, and while certain batches have better reputation, yo still stand the chance of getting one that wont clock quite like the others...

I wouldnt say 50% tho, I say most Q6600's will do 3.4 to 3.6. My old one was a 1.31 VID and would still push 3.4 with 1.45v, and run cool as well.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pipnasty
View Post

Based on experience, I'd say it is due to a high vid. A lot may disagree with me and say that vid has nothing to do with a chip's overclocking potential.. but my Q6600 which I acquired Nov 2008 batch L8 has a vid of 1.325v (the highest vid for Q6600s), and dammit I have trouble passing 3.2GHz!!! that's my wall... no matter how much voltage I feed the CPU it just won't stabilize at 3.4GHz..

It's kind of discouraging seeing other Q6600 owners complain that they can't get past 3.6GHz or can't stabilize at 3.6GHz with 1.4v... ***?! I need 1.4v to stabilize at a mere 3.2GHz!!!
haha anyway, sorry for ranting! Just frustrating is all

Mine was the same vid, didn't have any issues up to 3.55Ghz. Anything passed that and it's 1.5v+ territory, which in itself isn't that big of a deal either, the 65's can take it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitpc313
View Post

My old q6600 got up to 4ghz on air you just have to know how to overclock

Really? So does that mean any Q6600 can get to 4.0 GHz on air?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Really? So does that mean any Q6600 can get to 4.0 GHz on air?
Nope.
Well, maybe if you don't load it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supaspoon View Post
Nope.
Well, maybe if you don't load it.

Oh, so then simply knowing how to overclock doesn't guarantee it. I get it now.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitpc313 View Post
Why not help him then...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
g0 can hit 3.6 fairly easily
the other stepping(b3 i believe) ussually requires ALOT of vcore to get past 3.2
UD** series are the best quad overclocking mobos. some nvidia chipsets hit fsb walls/have holes

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There is no Q6600 D0, there's a B3 (meh), old G0 (good) and new G0 (meh).
With the old G0 it wasn't uncommon to see 400x9 or 450x8 at 1.4V on air, now you'd be hard pressed to get passed 3.2ghz.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T D
View Post

There is no Q6600 D0, there's a B3 (meh), old G0 (good) and new G0 (meh).
With the old G0 it wasn't uncommon to see 400x9 or 450x8 at 1.4V on air, now you'd be hard pressed to get passed 3.2ghz.

sorry. i just woke up when i posted that -_-. i have a g0 and it does 3.6 no problem as you can see in my sig rig

·
Registered
562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitpc313 View Post
dude most overclocking is luck of getting a good chip and about 25 percent skill tbh
EDIT.also i use to have a q660 b3 that would run 3.6 ghz at 1.55vcore

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marsey99 View Post
voltage is the cause and the sollution of all your troubles m8y

Yeah this sounds like your problem. Are you saying you can't change the voltage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminatorXT View Post
i'm embarrased to say
but all the other voltages are on auto

and this problem isn't limited to nvidia-based chipsets
I've read forums with P45s, x38s, and x48s with this problem
?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts