Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People advised me against using generic 500W PSU with a 9800gt. I wonder why? The amps on 12V rail fit the job so why would i spend like 3 times the amount on a branded one? Any specific reason and i dont care about power factor. we pay only for real power consumed so power factor is of no use.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
It's related to the quality of the components used to build the power supply. Generic ones are usually very low quality and can die in less than 1 year and kill one or more of the components attached to it (such as your graphics card, motherboard, or the entire system).

Getting a recommended power supply means that the chances of this are so small that we can say that you're practically guaranteed that it won't happen. But with a generic power supply, you are putting your system at risk. Generic PSUs are usually best reserved for low-end office computers that never have to do anything strenuous.

Worse yet, doing any overclocking with a generic PSU has a history of guaranteeing the eventual death of the PSU and one or more components (sometimes the entire system again).

In other words: the PSU is the single-most important component in the entire system because everything absolutely depends on the PSU! If we humans could buy ourselves a new heart, then which would you rather choose: a generic heart, or a quality heart even though it costs much more?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Well,

I'm gonna just list out the reasons here

1. Less fluctuations on your 12v rails, better for your vcore and overclocking
2. Higher quality components
3. Less chance of spikes when PSU fails, less chance of damaging other components
4. Run cooler

That's about it, with a crappy PSU you might need a 1.32 vcore for a 3.8ghz OC. On a more respectable PSU, you might only need 1.27 because less fluctuations.

make sense?

Comps

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT TWOCABLES GET THE HELL AWAY FROM MY THREAD. ARGHHHHHHHFLABBERFABBINGARGHHHHWTHFALLERNMANTING

Love you

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Well,

I'm gonna just list out the reasons here

1. Less fluctuations on your 12v rails, better for your vcore and overclocking
2. Higher quality components
3. Less chance of spikes when PSU fails, less chance of damaging other components
4. Run cooler

That's about it, with a crappy PSU you might need a 1.32 vcore for a 3.8ghz OC. On a more respectable PSU, you might only need 1.27 because less fluctuations.

make sense?

Comps

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT TWOCABLES GET THE HELL AWAY FROM MY THREAD. ARGHHHHHHHFLABBERFABBINGARGHHHHWTHFALLERNMANTING

Love you

But of course, overclocking should never be attempted with a generic PSU (let alone gaming).

Hi.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Agreed, overclocking on generic is going to be painful and expensive

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice answer. sums it all up. but suppose if i was only a casual gamer then would the cost be worth it. dont game for more than 2 hrs at a strech. so components aint stressed much and do other easy stuff like watching videos and playing sngs nothing tough.

EDIT: i get the picture........... guess shelling out more bucks is in the foreseable future

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
A computer enthusiast never overlook his PSU, nuff said

Yeah, it's like building an awesome car but then getting a generic engine.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niladri Ukil View Post
nice answer. sums it all up. but suppose if i was only a casual gamer then would the cost be worth it. dont game for more than 2 hrs at a strech. so components aint stressed much and do other easy stuff like watching videos and playing sngs nothing tough.
At least get a PSU that comes recommended. Don't you love your system?! I mean, do you have absolutely no respect for it or something?

It's like building a human and giving it a weak generic heart!

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
I would probably invest in the corsair vx550 or something to be on the safe side.

Comps

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

What do you have to lose? A quality PSU is not that expensive and you'll have more benefits than just saving a few bucks over a generic one.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
What do you have to lose? A quality PSU is not that expensive and you'll have more benefits than just saving a few bucks over a generic one.
Exactly! With a 9800 GT in there, you won't need much more than a quality 350-400W unit anyway! And those don't run more than $50-70!

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
At least get a PSU that comes recommended. Don't you love your system?! I mean, do you have absolutely no respect for it or something?
Not as much as I love you, when can we consummate our love for each other. Just admit it, aspergers and bipolar. The kids would be screwed

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Quote:

People advised me against using generic 500W PSU with a 9800gt. I wonder why? The amps on 12V rail fit the job so why would i spend like 3 times the amount on a branded one? Any specific reason and i dont care about power factor. we pay only for real power consumed so power factor is of no use.
Lots of folks here have some intense systems, and have been using near top of the line gear for years, and thus have disregarded said parts for a long time all ready. Less awe inspiring systems, like mine >< don't "reeaally" need such high end components to get it by day to day. Though I still won't buy a 1800W Bojangles SuPeR PSU for 15 bucks =)

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
well you have a rosewill, not great but not completely useless either

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

well you have a rosewill, not great but not completely useless either
It's certainly better than a generic PSU.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Quote:

It's certainly better than a generic PSU.
That's what I said....

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

That's what I said....
But I wanted him to see those words.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Quote:

But I wanted him to see those words.

Does it really make any difference?

You're fracking with me right...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Does it really make any difference?

You're fracking with me right...
No, I really just wanted him to see those words to really help drive the point home.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts