Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things such as seeing a persons next upgrade choice being high influenced by folding capabilities or just simply people having computers fold 24/7 for like years is making me wonder what the fuss is about.

I understand that it helps find cures for cancer, but i find it hard to believe that there are people (good people) that would be so determined by this small chance of success. Am i wrong or is there something else? Do i just have such a bleak and pessimistic view of people in general?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,343 Posts
There are tons of threads about this already. It boils down to people wanting to help, and wanting to be recognized for it. That's why there are leader boards. A quick search here will show you that this topic only leads to flaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Because I'm a ******. That's why I fold.

Seriously ****.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by BiG O
View Post

A quick search here will show you that this topic only leads to flaming.


Er no you are wrong, i quick searched my question and unless there is something seriously flawed with the quick serch, then there seem to be no other posts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
If you fold, is the $$$ spent on the rigs and the electricity tax deductible? Just curious if anyone has tried to claim folding on their 1040.
I personally don't use my charity as a tax deduction (I never get a receipt when I drop off a bag of clothes at the Salvation Army), but it is a valid point, n'est ce pas?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by cuy50
View Post

Because I'm a ******. That's why I fold.

Seriously ****.....

Okay i was hoping to maybe get involved in folding as it seems like a good idea but maybe i was right in thinking thats those who fold are self centered ****s

**** this, hell this is a questions forum, opinion related questions are allowed and for someone to have such a **** opinion i dont even know why u subscribe to this as ur '******ed' ***

Jesus i genuinly dont know!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by pun3D
View Post

Well I just started yesterday on my 2 rigs mainly casue I dont use them as much as I should so they might as well do something useful.

thank u
= +rep
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,208 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

If you fold, is the $$$ spent on the rigs and the electricity tax deductible? Just curious if anyone has tried to claim folding on their 1040.
I personally don't use my charity as a tax deduction (I never get a receipt when I drop off a bag of clothes at the Salvation Army), but it is a valid point, n'est ce pas?

Ufortunately, It's not tax deductable. This question has come up several times, at least once by me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

If you fold, is the $$$ spent on the rigs and the electricity tax deductible? Just curious if anyone has tried to claim folding on their 1040.
I personally don't use my charity as a tax deduction (I never get a receipt when I drop off a bag of clothes at the Salvation Army), but it is a valid point, n'est ce pas?

Hmm i was thinking that too, people must be highly motivated or is it more to do with statistical rankings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
All you had to do was some damn searching. This has been asked so many times that it is ridiculous. Google [email protected] if you didn't get it.....I mean it seems everyone needs their hands held for everything they do these days....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
Its very simple, We fold because we can..

For me I don't care much about the ranking, I just do it because why not do it.
 

·
Nobody
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Major_Bubbles
View Post

Hmm i was thinking that too, people must be highly motivated or is it more to do with statistical rankings

If there is just a 1% chance in a million that what I am doing could possibly in the upcoming years have an impact on how to cure diabetes, cancer, etc. then I feel that it is worth it.

Just imagine when you have kids and they have kids and so on if one of those generations doesn't one day have to worry about those things because years and years ago many people banded together to try and help science understand what is going on.

That's why I fold.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: SpcCdr

·
Banned
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,208 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Major_Bubbles
View Post

Dude that was some nice reading im fairly content, if i could give u rep i would

One last thing, i was considering that monitor of yours, is it any good; i bet you did like a review on it lol, could point in that general direction please

Sure bro, here is a 6 page, very detailed look at that monitor.http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...d=125&Itemid=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Take a look at the raw power of the folding community. Distributed computing is one of the strongest forces on the planet, and if I recall correctly, most supercomputers can't match the combined effort.

We understand why things happen. Why do people get cancer? Misfolding proteins.

What we don't understand is HOW. How do people get cancer? Well... when... this protein does this action...

Folding, to me, is about putting our ever advancing technology to good use. A cure isn't going to find itself, and even if [email protected] doesn't find it, we'll of at least helped.

2cents
 
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Top