Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Networking Nut
Joined
·
604 Posts
Because vendors who manufacture water blocks do so for reference cards and only a very few very popular non-reference cards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
You know exactly what you are getting with reference cards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
They are almost always the only cards on the market for the first few weeks/months of a new release.

They are easier to add custom coolers to, because many times they can use simple "bolt on" heatsinks designed for reference cards.

The cooling on them sometimes isn't as bad as you would think, and can be modified to act as a heatsink when cooling the core. With the 4870 for example, just pop out the copper "CPU core cooler" and bolt the metal VRAM/mosfet cooler back on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxox;13109101
Because vendors who manufacture water blocks do so for reference cards and only a very few very popular non-reference cards.
I was gonna sell my 5850 and someone said that reference are worth more , do you think that someone who buys a $150 used mainstream card is gonna put water block on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blostorm;13109107
Voltage control are not always there on non-reference.
There is voltage control on my 5850 non reference. But I can adjust only with Sapphire trixxx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enri95;13109163
I was gonna sell my 5850 and someone said that reference are worth more , do you think that someone who buys a $150 used mainstream card is gonna put water block on it?
Why not?

I threw a waterblock on my 8800GT and overclocked and volt modded the crap out of it. When I moved to an ATI 4870, I kept the water block and swapped cards/cooling and that was it. Moving then to a volt modded 8800GTS 512 I did the same thing, and the same moving to a 9600GT. Moving then to a GTX 285 I had to drain the loop to install a different hold down plate, but I put it back the way it was and that was that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enri95;13109163
I was gonna sell my 5850 and someone said that reference are worth more , do you think that someone who buys a $150 used mainstream card is gonna put water block on it?
There is voltage control on my 5850 non reference. But I can adjust only with Sapphire trixxx
The HD5850 was not a mainsteam card.... it was a high-end card that with an original MSRP for $299.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,627 Posts
HD 5850/70 non-reference cards were widely known as bad overclockers unless you got one of the good cards that would overvolt. Reference HD 5850/70's all had voltage control. This is basically why people pay more for HD 5850/70's with crappy coolers. Only got better when the card was unlocked from factory allowing it to use PowerPlay even when at 1000/1250 (ASUS and MSI cards IIRC).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard;13109262
HD 5850/70 non-reference cards were widely known as bad overclockers unless you got one of the good cards that would overvolt. Reference HD 5850/70's all had voltage control. This is basically why people pay more for HD 5850/70's with crappy coolers. Only got better when the card was unlocked from factory allowing it to use PowerPlay even when at 1000/1250 (ASUS and MSI cards IIRC).
Actually.. Only XFX's ones were bad. And they do support voltage tweaking if you use Sapphire Trixx (because Afterburner does not support those voltage controllers because MSI wouldn't add that in).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Aftermarket cooling, voltage control, generally OC well and don't fantastically explode (unless it's a GTX 570).
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top