Votes: 16 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 63.6%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a very simple question. Given the fact that games that are downloaded digitally have no theoretical distribution capacity limit (i.e. a game can be downloaded an indefinite number of times), the old reason that "if I don't preorder, it might take me much longer to receive a copy of this game" holds no substance.

A:CM was a very enlightening example of digital preorders, and displayed in very public fashion the pros (or in this case, lack thereof) and very very significant cons of engaging in this activity instead of simply waiting for game reviews to come out. This video of TotalBiscuit discussing both the A:CM debacle and the general issue of preorders also makes a highly compelling argument against the activity. I have yet to hear a similarly compelling argument from the other side.

What do you guys think about preordering? Do you or do you not engage in it, and why?

Video of the TotalBiscuit episode linked above:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nope, preordering is probably the stupidest thing you can do. literally no benefit at all other than investing in something early with no way out.

IMO, i think preordering was only good back in the days when things would sell out fast, or for things like xbox one and ps4 that sold out fast. but even then, they get them back in stock almost instantly.

in addition, if you dont preorder, its almost guarenteed within 1 week or so after release date, there will be some sort of deal that lowers the price.

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
I never understood the mentality of pre ordering any game as it's just a copy of code that can be replicated unlimited times. There really is no benefit to it, "exclusive content" is there to give you the illusion to think you are getting more for pre ordering.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've done it before and pre-ordered Shoot Many Robots for exclusive items for TF2 that was the only time I can remeber pre-ordering a game. I like to wait and buy games on sale.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I rarely pre-order I have pre-ordered Xbox 360 games I knew I wanted on the day but couldn't go out to the shop to get it so I would have it delivered for the DOR(GAME here in the UK used to guarantee this)

The only time I have pre-ordered a Digi-Copy is Torchlight 2 I saw a rather compelling sneak peak and decided I wanted to get it and at the time Steam were offering a deal pre-order TL2 get TL1 free unless there is a deal lie this I don't see the point in pre-ordering Digi-Copies

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

I never understood the mentality of pre ordering any game as it's just a copy of code that can be replicated unlimited times. There really is no benefit to it, "exclusive content" is there to give you the illusion to think you are getting more for pre ordering.
I never preorder. Mostly because I'm cheap, but I guess I do like to see some definitive reviews first as well.
That being said, exclusive content isn't an "illusion" to make you think you get more, it actually is more. Like, by definition. Now whether it's worth it or if that content will later be released with the GOTY is of course a different story.

·
Computer Repair Tech
1,527 Posts
I'll be brutally honest.. After what happened with CoD: Ghosts on PC, all their promises about PC optimization and then the game runs like molasses through a sieve, I will NEVER pre-order a PC game again unless it is from a dev that has a LONG history of properly supporting the PC community.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I do.

Why ? Well before release games are usually cheaper (I'm not talking about buying right off Origin here, I used Fast2play I think) and I barely ever buy video games anyway but in the case of BF4 and whichever BF is to follow, I know that no matter what I'll play and enjoy it. Plus pre-ordering digital, forgetting about the fact games are cheaper before release and you get extra stuff, means that the game is paid for and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaSin View Post

I'll be brutally honest.. After what happened with CoD: Ghosts on PC, all their promises about PC optimization and then the game runs poorly, I will NEVER pre-order a PC game again unless it is from a dev that has a LONG history of properly supporting the PC community.
It is CoD after all
tongue.gif

·
Registered
211 Posts
I generally only preorder if there are any benefits (exclusive stuff, early/beta access, cheaper price.. etc.) and if I know it's going to be a game I want day one.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I only ever preorder physical copies of a game and thats only when it has something awesome attached like collectors editions. Last game preordered was Bioshock Infinite Songbird edition and I was not disappointed. Also the songbird statue is awesome
tongue.gif

Digital copies I pretty much always wait for a sale with some type of complete edition. I'm cheap like that

·
Watercooler
3,369 Posts
I only pre-order Collectors Editions.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaSin View Post

As far as digital I only preorder if there is pre-order exclusive content. Other than that I see no point in pre-ordering a digital distribution game.
In terms of exclusive content, would you preorder a game just because it has it? What if it was just a custom skin, or an extra weapon or armor? If you expect more substantial content, what sorts of things do you consider worthy for preorders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

On the other hand, do you consider any sort of preorder content universally illusory? (Notice I'm taking the devil's advocate stance on my replies; sorry if it annoys, but I honestly want to understand why people stand on either side of this activity) What if said content included something as big as a whole level, or a self-contained quest branch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would not preorder a game even if it comes with bonus skins, extra weapons or armour. Usually these items aren't particularly game changing, adding only to aesthetics or item variety instead. That said, if having lots of gear is important to a player and they absolutely can't wait to play the game, by all means go ahead.

Perhaps if interesting side missions/levels (separate to the story of course!) were on offer, I'd look more into preordering, however those seem to be reserved for expansions/DLCs most of the time.

I usually wait for a large sale where the base game and all extra content are offered for a great price. Patience is the key!

·
Jack-of-all-trades
1,754 Posts
I only preorder a game if it meets two requirements: 1) If it is a game that I am really dedicated to and 2) If it has preorder exclusives. My latest preorder is Diablo 3 RoS. It isn't as good as D2 but I am dedicated to the Diablo game and I get a free wing thingy
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pre-Ordering comes with plenty of benefits...

Early Access to some games, beta testing perhaps, exclusive in-game content, and the ability to install the client before the game/servers are live. Mostly though this refers to MMORPG's which see A LOT of pre-orders.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I pre-order games I really want because I'm just eager to get my hands on it, and buying it is the first step in that.

Also, many Collectors Editions are pre-order limited, and many pre-orders offer a discount or bonus content. I'm usually eager to get my hands on new, highly anticipated games of mine so may as well buy em at a discount and with bonus content.

I see the downside to pre-ordering but you just have to think about it before doing it, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a choice, if someone is reckless in their purchasing then maybe pre-ordering isn't for you.

·
Banned
2,614 Posts
I normally don't preorder games.

I'll normally wait for months or a year or more afterwards to get a game on sale that i know i'll play once or twice because I don't really play most games, and few interest me. It's games like MMORPGs and online game play based games that I'll "preorder"

I preordered WildStar for one reason.

Bonus stuff

The only games I've ever preordered were MMORPGs

1 - 20 of 56 Posts