Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something that really puzzles me. How can people use up to 8 SATA ports and 2 e-SATA ports found in my (relatively low priced) p55-ud3r. The most I can ever see some one use is 2 (assuming you are running raid for two hard drives) but certainly not 8. Is there anything else sata ports are used for and are these extra sata ports just for the enthusiasts?

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
2 for the cd drives and 3+ for the hdds and boom you need more ports already

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Expandability. I can add more hard drives for space in the future. Plus, having it on the motherboard is much easier and cleaner looking than having a sata card.

OT: Foxy, your avatar scares me. I don't like spiders. Even pictures creep me out

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, so almost all of you guys have 3+ hd's? I have a 1 tb hd and possibly in a couple years I'll get another, so I couldn't see myself using 3+ hd's. Also why do you guys have more than one optical drive. I just have a dvd-rw; what else could I add that could possibly be useful?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hs101
View Post

Wow, so almost all of you guys have 3+ hd's? I have a 1 tb hd and possibly in a couple years I'll get another, so I couldn't see myself using 3+ hd's. Also why do you guys have more than one optical drive. I just have a dvd-rw; what else could I add that could possibly be useful?

Alot of people now have Blu-Ray drives as well as their dvd drive.
So there is two of your eight used up.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sata ports can get eatin up quickly. if you have two cd/dvd drivers, some fan controllers run on sata... many people can have up to 6 hard drives in their computers. I could understand having up to 8 sata ports for a server, but in my system I think I only use 3 of the sata ports.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts