Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
They are part of the better binned chips. Higher reliability, higher resistance to heat, etc.

• Rep+
Reactions: TFB

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Better binning, tighter specs, and longer guaranteed availability.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
They're not that much more expensive. Hardly any difference between the i7 920 and the W3520(?) in UK.

• Rep+
Reactions: TFB

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
I never understood why. Is it just because they're for servers?
In a word: yes.

They meet higher standards and support ecc memory. Server processors are also able to run on multi socket mainboards, where workstation processors (and desktop processors) will not.

i7 920 <-desktop processor
Xeon W3520 <-workstation processor
Xeon X5550 <-server processor

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
like others said, they are binned higher, and usually overclock better than the regular i7's

·
Registered
401 Posts
W series Xeons are very close or equal to their i7 counterparts. All the Dual QPI series are more expensive than an equal i7 (E,L,X)

*Edit; And I think that Intel price gouges on the dual QPI Xeon's because they are targeted for companies buying for servers with big budgets and not desktop users. All 1366 i7's have dual QPI's and Intel goes out of their way to disable it on the i7's and W xeons btw.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trn View Post
W series Xeons are very close or equal to their i7 counterparts. All the Dual QPI series are more expensive than an equal i7 (E,L,X)

*Edit; And I think that Intel price gouges on the dual QPI Xeon's because they are targeted for companies buying for servers with big budgets and not desktop users. All 1366 i7's have dual QPI's and Intel goes out of their way to disable it on the i7's and W xeons btw.
This. Wish we could enable that feature though LOL

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Because people will pay it.

Intel Xeons are not the same as AMD opterons. They are not better binned or better clockers. They are merely restamped as Xeons.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan View Post

Intel Xeons are not the same as AMD opterons. They are not better binned or better clockers. They are merely restamped as Xeons.
Actually it's the other way around. There are far more Xeon models than there are equivalent desktop models.

Take a Xeon, "castrate" it (remove one of the QPI links or slow it down, the ability to install in multi-sockets, etc) and you get your consumer / pro-consumer equivalent.

I would disagree with the statement that they're not better binned - but short of having direct physical access to the manufacturing process, there's no real way to claim one way or the other.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Uh... what? Xeon's (even the W versions are made on different wafers.) They have different memory controllers and error checking and such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan View Post

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
I had a I7 920 that couldn't do 4.0 ghz @ 1.3-1.35 vcore. I got my Xeon that does 4.2 ghz @ 1.288 vcore. Both 939 B batches. I'd take a xeon any day of the week over the desktop series.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Regardless of the physical differences... Xeons are required to be avaliable longer. The distributors are required to buy extra and store them in case a server needs a replacement down the road. If a server goes down, you do not want to risk changing a component with the risk of minor differences affecting your processes. This extra cost of storage and supply risk is passed onto the consumers.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobclocker1277 View Post
so would it make sense to get a xeon over an i7?
I don't think so no. Not unless it's available for less money.

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobclocker1277 View Post
so would it make sense to get a xeon over an i7?
If its the same price then IMHO YES.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts