Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i only know the basics of programming...so excuse me if this question is a bit unintelligent...

but why does chrome sometimes need to take up HUGE amounts of memory... sometimes a single relatively simple web page will take up nearly a GB of memory...

right now i'm in a reduced video chat inside my gmail..this single tab is taking up half a fraggin gigabyte...

this little page here (post a new thread) is taking up more than 200mb of memory...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This website got heavy since the platform change since it's... well, heavier, and uses a lot more java or something? I can't speak for GMAIL, but videos in general probably aren't too small, especially if buffered? Not sure about video chat and all of that though. Things aren't like a few years back anymore. Even the basic web is becoming a heavier place.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Everything from the graphics you see, the buffering of the video chat, handling the browser, storing tabs and bookmarks, caching data will quickly add up. 500mb is a bit high, so there is likely something more going on (like say a toolbar, extensions etc.) but it is possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts