Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firefox is my favorite browser. I've used it for many years. The only problem is that it sometimes lags when opening new tabs (especially if one of the tabs is YouTube playing some video or twitch). If I try to perform many actions (like open tabs and scroll) I can literally see the tabs opening at 0.3x speed and scrolling skipping all over the place. Also switching tabs isn't instant.

I used to have NoScript/ABP/AntiAdblock killer which I replaced for uBlock Origin. I thought going lighter on the addons would fix it but nope.

The only addons I have are (I don't even have any themes):
uBlock Origin
DownThemAll
BetterTTV

I have a 3570K CPU overclocked to 4.5 and I have 16GB Ram at 9 9 9 24 timings and an 850 Samsung SSD.

For science, I monitored Firefox on my Task Manager as I opened several twitch and youtube tabs on purpose to see usage, and CPU didn't go past 35%, ram got up to 2.5 GB and GPU 3%

Why isn't Firefox using more resources? What kind of hardware do I need to never see lag in Firefox?

EDIT: I stressed firefox as much as I could, here is the video: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/GregariousPrestigiousEastrussiancoursinghounds

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
I found out the solution to this years ago, disable disk caching and have everything stay in memory. Basically running your browser in a RAM disk without needing to set one up.

Go to about:config and set the following values and try it out:

• Rep+
Reactions: Schnitter

·
Registered
706 Posts
Try Firefox Quantum 57. I'm using it now and I'm experiencing no lag with it. In fact, it's very responsive and smooth. The only caveat would be backwards compatibility with certain extensions is gone.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jologskyblues View Post

Try Firefox Quantum 57. I'm using it now and I'm experiencing no lag with it. In fact, it's very responsive and smooth. The only caveat would be backwards compatibility with certain extensions is gone.
This. FF57 is a huge step forward.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using nightly for a while. The only complaint I have is DownThemAll addon isn't compatible and when the author is done updating it, he said it wont be as powerful due to new FF limitations. It really is a great upgrade. Only reason I have chrome on my computer is for opening ADDONS > Google Keep which syncs with my phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts