Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive always seemed to have problems getting these insane FPS's people seem to get on benchmarks and such. Many times playing games like Americas Army it'll seem a bit jumpy with any drivers. Sims 2 wasnt insanely good either. SO i have a few questions...

System specs:

2.8ghz P4
1 gig of corsair XMS pc3200 ram
Asus V99...something 5950 Ultra w/ 256mb ram
2 74gig raptors in a raid stripe w/ air cooling
sb live audigy 2 zs pro
2 external hd's
bluetooth mouse and keyboard
all encased in a sexy koolance un-modified watercooling system
17" LG LCD L1720P monitor

1. I read an article about setting up "gaming profiles" in Xp where you can disable a bunch of memory gobbling things that really improve your performance. Does anyone have a page with a walkthrough? Also... i remember trying a long time ago but my keyboards bluetooth so it wouldnt respond in the load up... is there any way around this?

2. Any suggestions about my computer? Possibly software thats hogging the system? The software thats continually running usually is AIM and Norton AV 2005 along with the usual XP-induced programs

3. I have the absolute weirdest problem.... On some games, ill get the weirdest noise coming from my hard drive which makes absolutely 0 sense and ive delt with computers for a decent amount of time. In some games, when the graphics come up, my hard drives (and i know it has to be my hard drive because ive tried games with no cd-roms and its not the fans and my video card is water cooled) make this fast paced clicking sound.. sounds like the motor clicking or something and the graphics go a bit slow.

4. Do newer video cards run better at 1280+ resolutions? I swear on like, command and conquer generals, i put everything to low/off and res to the lowest possible and ill still get some crappy gameplay.

This place seems like it has some very intelligent and experienced people so i just wanted to run this by you all instead of paying $50 bucks to some shop just so they can say "yah, somethings wrong, give us more money and we'll do thsi simple lil thing to make it slightly better". Any followup questions are very welcome for my own help. Thanks guys

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

2.8ghz P4
1 gig of corsair XMS pc3200 ram
Asus V99...something 5950 Ultra w/ 256mb ram
2 74gig raptors in a raid stripe w/ air cooling
sb live audigy 2 zs pro
2 external hd's
bluetooth mouse and keyboard
all encased in a sexy koolance un-modified watercooling system
17" LG LCD L1720P monitor

You lack to mention what video card you have, for all we know it could be on board intel graphics, and that would answer it...

also what's the spyware, virus's, yada... hit ALT + CTRL + DELETE and click on task manager (unless it automattically comes up.) and click on the processes tab, and yes, type in each one...

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My video card is the Asus V9950 Geforce FX 5950 Ultra with 256mb

As for processes... here goes...

aim.exe
csrss.exe
CTDVDDET.exe
ctfmon.exe
CTHELPER.EXE
CTSVCCDA.EXE
explorer.exe
FahCore_78.exe (im thinking this is [email protected] cuz its eating my CPU and ive never seen it before and i barely dl'ed [email protected])
firefox.exe (firefox browser so this isnt the problem)
jusched.exe
lsass.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
nvsvc32.exe
PCLEScheduler.exe
point32.exe
RcMan.exe
realsched.exe
rundl32.exe
rundl32.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
5 instancs of svchost.exe
System
System Idle Process
taskmgr.exe
ViewMgr.exe
wdfmgr.exe
winFAH.exe
winlog.exe
YPager.exe

I turn off aim and Ypager and realsched when i try to play games but it doesnt do much. My computers virus free and i regularly scan for adware and spyware with Spyware Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
go to www.pcpitstop.com. it will tell you what each of those processes are.

also, how long have you had your computer? one of my friends built a $2500 computer less than a year ago and just now it started acting up, and he RMA'd the motherboard, which he thinks he might have hit with a bit of ESD...and it's fine now.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe its almost a year old. The thing is i was haven some kinda questionable performance from day 1 on my $4,000 computer lol... and yes... all newegg... this computer is worth more then half hte cars in my city... Ive checked most of the processes and nothings out of the ordinary/unknown. The computer benchmarks at pretty much where it should be but in the games it just feels kinda choppy. Is is possible its my monitor? Its the only thing that wasnt top of the line at the time of purchase...

And the 71.20 drivers crash my computer like crazy for some reason...

·
Registered
148 Posts
first off whats ur agp apiture size? i would set this to 256mb for the amount of ram u have, this will imporve proformence.
could be the processor actually bottlenecking u.
try running sisoft sandra file system bench and post what u get, sounds like u may have bad drive(clicking a loud noises are never good)
good luck

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
aim.exe - get gaim (search google for it) eats less processor resources.

csrss.exe - necesarry file.

CTDVDDET.exe - Disable this, common IRQ relays caused by the sound drivers...*

ctfmon.exe - I hate this one...

CTHELPER.EXE - Unless you are a programmer disable this also.**

CTSVCCDA.EXE - Also disable this... ***

explorer.exe - This is for your desktop applications, mines disabled because it eats valuable resources...

FahCore_78.exe (im thinking this is [email protected] cuz its eating my CPU and ive never seen it before and i barely dl'ed [email protected]) - Yes this is [email protected] disable this if you are to play anygames. This could have to do with most of your crashing. By chance does your screen artifact?

firefox.exe (firefox browser so this isnt the problem) - Great Browser choice

jusched.exe - disable this, java need's to die, plus eats precious resources.

lsass.exe - necessary for windows enviroment.

MsPMSPSv.exe - First get rid of Microsoft media player, and replace it with something like Winamp... ****

nvsvc32.exe - don't remove this, this controls your video card... by chance are you on a 64 bit CPU?

PCLEScheduler.exe - C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PINNACLE\\SHARED FILES\\PROGRAMS\\PCLESCHEDULER.EXE - carefull about keeping this running all the time.

point32.exe - FOR GOD'S SAKE DISABLE THIS.

RcMan.exe - Test turning this off, just to make sure your audio card isn't conflicting with anything else.

realsched.exe - PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE DISABLE THIS.

rundl32.exe - God I just hope you forgot an l after the d... because if not SECURITY THREAT SECURITY THREAT. (the usuall one is "rundll32.exe")

rundl32.exe - look above...

services.exe - read *****. Very important.

smss.exe - don't mind this, it's important.

spoolsv.exe - printer shiz.

5 instancs of svchost.exe - necessary.

System - CPU dump.

System Idle Process - CPU use. Necessary.

taskmgr.exe - hmmm wander what this is! (I'm kidding)

ViewMgr.exe - up to you, sounds like what you were using...

wdfmgr.exe - I kill this at startup...

winFAH.exe - also [email protected] it has a few processes

winlog.exe - if you are not using "Salfeld Personal Security" get rid of this. Someone has kids at home! ******

YPager.exe - Yahoo shiz. I don't like Yahoo.

* - ctdvddet.exe is a process belonging to the Creative Soundblaster sound card drivers. It automatically detect and plays DVDs. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference.

** - cthelper.exe is installed with Creative Labs Soundblaster Devices. It's purpose is to aid 3rd party developers create plugins/software for the card. In this way it is a non-essential system process and can be removed from the task-bar/startup.

*** - ctsvccda.exe this process was authored by Creative Labs, and is usually installed alongside Soundblaster card drivers or some Creative Labs applications. It assists Windows manage the CD-Rom on Windows 9x and Me systems, however it has no use on faster CD-Rom drives.

**** - mspmspsv.exe is a process which normally comes with a specific update of Windows Media player. It allows for the SDMI protocol (Secure Digital Music Initiative) to be used during dealing with music media. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference

***** - services.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services. This process also deals with the automatic starting of services during the comptuers boot-up and the stopping of servicse during shut-down. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. Note: services.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Randex.R Trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

****** - winlog.exe is a process belonging to the Salfeld Personal Security tool which is used to set parental controls to your computer. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems. Note: winlog.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Agobot.LF virus. It takes advantage of the Windows LSASS vulnerability, which creates a buffer overflow and instigates your computer to shut down. To see more information about this vulnerability please look at the following Microsoft bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-011.mspx This is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process Note2: winlog.exe is also registered as the eventlog logging tool which can be used in a malicous way to gather information from your computer.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
holy crap you guys are helpful

I just benchmarked through SANDRA and my CPU did good in artithmatic and multimedia testing but my C: drive actually scored like crap in HD testing. It was going at ~13000KB/sec.... and this is 2 WD Raptor 10k rpm SATA hard drives in a rair stripe.... but i know i tested them when i first got the computer and got some SCSI Raid-0-like performance so thats not the problem.

And yes i forgot the 2nd l in rundll32.exe

That winlog is great because i ... dont... have that program lol. Time to search and destroy >

I swear ive also tried deleting realsched but it keeps coming back after a while! Damn u real player!! *shakes fist*

As far as the processes, most of the non-essential programs werent on my computer when i did testing and had the weird performance when i first bought the computer. I always closed down anything and everything that task manager would allow me too without closing crucial programs when i tried to play games and still never got the 60-100fps constantly smooth playing i figured i would get playing a year old (at the time) game on 1024x settings.

Also, i flashed my bios and the lil clicking noise stopped at a few places it use to happen at. Could a bad/loose connection between a hard drive and the motherboard be the problem? This was my first SATA drive and there friggen flimsy so i kinda broke off the connector and hoped i could use a rubber band to keep the connector in contact lol. Thats all i can think about hard-ware-wise but it seems like the SANDRA tests when i barely bought teh computer would have shown a crappy speeed if the loose connection was cuasing the problems but as i said earlier, the tests when i barely assembled the computer showed it running A-OK.

So in summary... i really really dont think its the hard drives because they ran correctly when i first built the computer and benchmarked incredibly well when i first benchmarked it. The CPU benchmarks well... i got rather mediocre performance in games that did that stupid clicking and games that didnt...

ooo heres something... how bout a test...
I have... command and conquer generals, rainbow six 3, quake 3, tropico, rome total war, UT 2004, max payne 2 and some other games. Can someone tell me if they know off the top of their heads how to get an FPS indicator in one of the games. Also what would really help me is if someone could say "ok at 1280x or 1024x with such and such details, you should get roughly such and such FPS". I tried 3dmark2005 and i got scores of basically what everyone else got (~1250) but in game it seems sluggish so i was wondering if benchmarks are misleading?

Also, i think one question is getting left out... does anyone know if games suck at 800x vs like 1280x on the newest cards. It seems as if the card shoudl be able to run games at 800x at hundreds of FPS if the games like a year old but i was just wondering if cards have difficulties running quickly at slow settings for whatever reason... Sounds illogical but i wasjust wondering

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was too lazy to go through all the reading of all the reviews, but i gtg quick, so uum one suggestion, open task manager, check all the memmory eaters by clicking on the memory button, so it displays them ascending by memmory order. Close like half the memmory eaters, unless they r important. Lol, dont touch system lol...jkz.
Anyway, dont bother repping me....i dun think i was helpful now was i?
Just came here...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Btw, this might be helpful, although i dun know.
If you use ntfs for ur fiel system, since it was made long ago when hard drives were about 1 gig max, the ntfs by default eats like 15 percent of your drive space for the file table, but you can edit that, and since u have... i forgot how much, but ur probably good, so id decrease it to like 5% at max.
You can do that by going to this site...one sec ill find it..nvm the comp i m on rite now is slower then hell, its impossible to surf properly, so i mght post tommorow with the site.
But since i got it at the call for help show, try going to callforhelptv.com? or .net?..or .ca im not sure.

Anyway, l8r guys!

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not a matter of hard drive space or memory because when i did the tests in-game, i had turned off anything over 10megs of memory that wasnt crucial and my hard drives were pretty empty. This seems like a graphics problem. Where can i check out my aperature size? I have a giga-byte 8KNXP motherboard for my P4 2.8ghz... forgot what core it is...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude, no its not a matter of harddrive space, but as you know microsoft always screws things, and as you know windows uses a part of the harddrive like ram, so what this means is that the file table space and the designated "ram" space may overlap, which would be typical of microsoft.
When that happens, your screwed, which is what might be causeing ingame problems. So dude im pretty sure this wont help, though if it does i hope it does a lot

Btw, plz gimme some rep, jsut registered

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well if thast the case, woudlnt everyone be getting FPS's like mine? Like the people who do benchmarks?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by N:SANITY

Dude, no its not a matter of harddrive space, but as you know microsoft always screws things, and as you know windows uses a part of the harddrive like ram, so what this means is that the file table space and the designated "ram" space may overlap, which would be typical of microsoft.
When that happens, your screwed, which is what might be causeing ingame problems. So dude im pretty sure this wont help, though if it does i hope it does a lot

Btw, plz gimme some rep, jsut registered

Not wishing to be a killjoy but there are rules about rep points

http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=8182

·
Registered
391 Posts
check out blackviper.com for a list of all the things you can shut down and an explanation of what everything does.

You can also get wintasks5 which is a very good prog that will do the same thing for you.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol no guys its not the programs in the task manager thats doing anything. I did a fresh install when i built it and put the games in and closed all the non-essential programs that the task manager would let me and still got some rather questionable performance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts