882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my PC, it gives a sound like it is restarting. Why is that? :O

·
Windows Lobbyist
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That "cluck" like sound I don't know how to describe it better. xD

Or maybe it is the sound of one of my hardware?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobi View Post

That "cluck" like sound I don't know how to describe it better. xD
Or maybe it is the sound of one of my hardware?
can you record a video or audio clip? I'm a bit confused here.

·
Registered
914 Posts
cluck? the only sound i can think of remotely to a cluck would be a "ticking" HDD or you have a disc in DVD drive.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,581 Posts
I would probably guess the sound is your HDD starting up or operating as well. No other component really makes a "clicky/clucky" sound.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Hard drives starting up, and/or the laser mechanism in your optical sliding around.

EDIT: I just saw you have multiple Seagate hard drives. I'd reckon it's them, because the one I had made a real ruckus compared to the Hitachi/Samsung/WD drives I've owned.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That sure does sound like some HDD's powering down. (A few months ago one of my WD250's did that when it was idling for a long time.)

Not sure why it's doing it however.

You could probably hear them spin back up by going into them via explorer.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Guessing HDD's too.Does it only do it at start-up or does it do randomly also?Try accessing a file on each hard drive and see if the sound gets reproduced through that.I've had a hard drive fail on me and they make a loud clicking noise and would keep going on like that.Check all your hard drives health and do any error checking on them using a program like HDTune.

·
Windows Lobbyist
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only when it starts up, I'll record the sound tomorrow or smth when I am not this tired.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I just now realized you said it happens when you start the PC.
doh.gif

For some reason I though it happened when you are already in Windows.

Anyways, my old 250's have had a single loud click to them when starting and stopping for at least the last year and they have been working fine. I am not familiar enough with modern drives to know if that means death soon however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts