Overclock.net banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,117 Posts

·
Back in the Game!
1,023 Posts
Y’all bitching about Royal Families. If you’re not British, no one really cares about your Royal Family so ****. Btw… I’m descended through to James II, Richard III and William the Conquerer so I might be slightly biased.

My system actually fails the compatibility but I’m assuming it’s to do with secure boot and not the CPU itself - just the BIOS settings. I’ve tried changing them but it won’t boot to windows atm but I reckon if I just move everything over to a large HDD, change settings and do a fresh install it will be ok. I think my CPU is 8th gen (3900X) though, not sure about earlier CPUs.

·
Long Time Lurker
948 Posts
My system actually fails the compatibility but I’m assuming it’s to do with secure boot and not the CPU itself - just the BIOS settings. I’ve tried changing them but it won’t boot to windows atm but I reckon if I just move everything over to a large HDD, change settings and do a fresh install it will be ok. I think my CPU is 8th gen (3900X) though, not sure about earlier CPUs.
You're fine. CSM needs to be off to enable Secure Boot, and you have fTPM.

When OP refers to "6th gen" he specifically means 6th generation Core CPUs, i.e. 6700K etc.

·
Banned
2,898 Posts
Y’all bitching about Royal Families. If you’re not British, no one really cares about your Royal Family so ****. Btw… I’m descended through to James II, Richard III and William the Conquerer so I might be slightly biased.

Hint
Imperial is the next step to royal family exsists for any country or nationality

Hard or impossible to get into royal family
Then even harder to get to Imperial

·
Old and Decrepit
2,321 Posts
Hint
Imperial is the next step to royal family exsists for any country or nationality

Hard or impossible to get into royal family
Then even harder to get to Imperial
Who freakin cares, they still have to meet minimum requirements to run Win11, they still take a dump out the same hole. Personally I find any society that worships monarchy to be fools. You gotta be sh!tting me! Just because they are all inbreeders doesn’t make them better than anyone else. More rotten things going on in their walls than anywhere else because they hide behind a cloak of secrecy porking their sister while mom watches. No thanks….

if you really want to run a good solid OS then the last one that ran well without bloatware and garbage was win 2K. Problem is no one codes software or drivers to work with it.

In the end they all work together. Hardware and software companies can’t make money if older gear continues to be supported. Win10 will be retired 10 years after it’s introduction. The upgrade to 11 is free so long as you have a licensed copy of 10 and a M$ account. TPM is mandatory at this point but there are work arounds to that. The UEFI and account requirements are about letting you know the free ride of running win10 not activated is over. Keys that have been released then resold will no longer work. If you want to run your machine it will go back to the way it was, you have to pay for it and rightfully so. Personally I don’t get the mentality of complaining about spending $100 on and OS or $200 if you want the pro version that for the average user only adds bit locker encryption. If you don’t encrypt or use a different software to encrypt then the home version is just fine for a personal machine. The vast majority of people on this board aren’t running budget builds so what’s another $100 after you spent $5K-$10K on a machine? I’ve seen arguments in places like Reddit stating that that’s a waste of money that could have been spent on hardware. Well a PC won’t run without an OS and there is only one that is free, Linux in its basic form that’s bare. Most distros that have been coded to the point of being useable are going to cost you. It amazes me that so many complain about windows, having to pay for it and yet continue to run it. There’s always Mac OS X that is free so long as you buy an Apple computer.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Who freakin cares, they still have to meet minimum requirements to run Win11, they still take a dump out the same hole. Personally I find any society that worships monarchy to be fools. You gotta be sh!tting me! Just because they are all inbreeders doesn’t make them better than anyone else. More rotten things going on in their walls than anywhere else because they hide behind a cloak of secrecy porking their sister while mom watches. No thanks….

if you really want to run a good solid OS then the last one that ran well without bloatware and garbage was win 2K. Problem is no one codes software or drivers to work with it.

In the end they all work together. Hardware and software companies can’t make money if older gear continues to be supported. Win10 will be retired 10 years after it’s introduction. The upgrade to 11 is free so long as you have a licensed copy of 10 and a M$ account. TPM is mandatory at this point but there are work arounds to that. The UEFI and account requirements are about letting you know the free ride of running win10 not activated is over. Keys that have been released then resold will no longer work. If you want to run your machine it will go back to the way it was, you have to pay for it and rightfully so. Personally I don’t get the mentality of complaining about spending $100 on and OS or $200 if you want the pro version that for the average user only adds bit locker encryption. If you don’t encrypt or use a different software to encrypt then the home version is just fine for a personal machine. The vast majority of people on this board aren’t running budget builds so what’s another $100 after you spent $5K-$10K on a machine? I’ve seen arguments in places like Reddit stating that that’s a waste of money that could have been spent on hardware. Well a PC won’t run without an OS and there is only one that is free, Linux in its basic form that’s bare. Most distros that have been coded to the point of being useable are going to cost you. It amazes me that so many complain about windows, having to pay for it and yet continue to run it. There’s always Mac OS X that is free so long as you buy an Apple computer.
The people complaining in this thread are running 10 year old hardware more than likely minus the op.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,555 Posts
Will see if things change, but Haswell with TPM 1.2 ok for now.

Unfortunately this is the oldest I have.
Maybe somebody has an Ivy or Sandy to test?

·
First Time Listener.
18 Posts
What processor have you got?
I've been happy with my Haswell 4790, to this day it is not my bottleneck.
Actually, just bought an MSI Gaming X RTX3080Ti, awaiting an updated power supply for the 3rd 8-pin power connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running 21H2 22000,71 on a 4930K (6 core) with 2xEVGA GTX980s driving 3 27" 1080p monitors, 32GB of DDR3 memory, and 2x1TB SSD, plus another 72TB in 16 hard drives. I needed to get TPM 1.2 up and running to install but everything is fine now. What Win 11 does say is "Standard hardware security not supported." in the device security info. Basically. Microsoft is saying that systems that meet e minimum level of hardware security can run Win 11 but they won't be fully secure and Microsoft won't help you with security issues if you lack the proper hardware

Of course, the current version of Win 11 is in the DEV channel of the Windows Insider system, so it is far from stable as it is not yet complete. Interestingly, Microsoft has enabled the ability to select out of the DEV channel without having to reinstall from scratch, which was the case in Win 10. You can now switch to the Release Preview channel from DEV, which should jump you to the public release of Win 11 a little early. Win still runs on older hardware, just with reduced security and the inability to run applications that require TPM 2.0 or security features in newer processors.

I also have Win 10 21H1 and win 11 21H2 on WinToGo thumb drives. The Win 11 version will boot up on my system even if the TPM module is not present or is disabled in the BIOS. I wasn't able to update Win 10 DEV to Win 11 DEV until the TPM 1.2 module was installed and activated.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,321 Posts
^^^^
What he said. If your hardware is old enough that it wont support Win 11 just stick with 10. I may just stick with 10 myself even though my system supports 11. Whats new with 11 isnt all that new. Who cares if it will run Android apps? I certainly dont as I dont own a single android device. My last tablet that ran android was a very nice ASUS tablet but me and android just never got along. I set it up for social media for my mother who has trouble finding an on off switch on a PC. Set her up with social media account just so she can keep up with the family and some of her old friends and as soon as she turns it on it launches the social media app. So all she has to do it turn it on and turn it off and remember to charge it. One button and done. I dont care for the Mac OSX copy on the icons and when I get around to installing all of that will be set back to the way I like it.

But in the mean time they are saying EOL October 2025. If you still have the same hardware then maybe set up a gofundme page to upgrade to something or maybe auction off what you have to an antique dealer. Theres a lot happening in hardware between now and when win 10 is EOL. I know folks still running Win7 (they swear it performs better) and win XP. If I could get it to work with current software Id be running Win 2K. Most solid OS they every produced. No frills no million services, no bloatware, it just ran very well be it a server or personal PC.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts