Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there such a lack of 5.1 and 7.1 speaker sets for the PC these days?

I have an old Logitech Z5300e 5.1 set and its fabulous, but the sub is starting to show its age and so I found and bought a replacement (used) off ebay and its not much better so I got to looking into just replacing the while set with something newer and there's just nothing out there!

I mean we got all these fancy 5.1 and 7.1 output options on our motherboards and audio cards... why aren't there more PC speaker systems to take advantage of this?

Especially in this day and age when everything is going online... I got a 32" TV with a Yamaha 5.1 stereo setup in my living room, with BOSE speakers, Klipsch subwoofer... etc...

But I never even bother with using it anymore, cause I just stream xFinity and Netflix right here on my computer and I get way better picture and sound quality.

So, in all seriousness... What are people using for surround sound on their computers these days if there's hardly any surround PC speakers out there anymore?

Granted, I know Logitech has a couple sets.... but like, they in no way come even close to comparing.

They have the z606 system.... costing around $130 but with only 36w total power?!?! 36w?!?! Are you freaking kidding me!

Then they have the Z506 set.. 75w @ $250.... next to their Z906 set... 500w @ $280 ..WHAT?!

My Logitech z5300 set pumps out 280w of surround audio and I only paid $150 for it when it was new, and there is just nothing out there that is comparable.

Why aren't there more 5.1 / 7.1 PC speaker sets out there?

·
Rig Advisor
1,963 Posts
Who knows, i'm very happy with my Logitech Z906

·
LTSC for life crew
2,881 Posts
Why is there such a lack of 5.1 and 7.1 speaker sets for the PC these days?
Headphones. Headphones ended up being far more profitable for companies to make and market towards gamers, and e-sports gaming had a part in increasing the popularity of gaming grade headphones.

Logitech makes a few nice surround sound options these days. Aside from that you can do really well if you don't mind piecing together your own audio setup.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Headphones. Headphones ended up being far more profitable for companies to make and market towards gamers, and e-sports gaming had a part in increasing the popularity of gaming grade headphones.

Logitech makes a few nice surround sound options these days. Aside from that you can do really well if you don't mind piecing together your own audio setup.

They’re also pushing pseudo surround sound software options like windows sonic and Dolby atmos.

But yes good headphones have become very affordable now and there’s plenty of low price speaker kits out there now too that aren’t really marketed as gamer kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Surround sound takes up to much space. 5-7 speakers and a sub is a lot of space.

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Surround sound takes up to much space. 5-7 speakers and a sub is a lot of space.
My Z-5300e set takes up barely any space what so ever....

The main speakers do not take up any more space that every other 2.1 set out there right now; and the surrounds are mounted waaay high up on a pair of shelving units behind me that we never use the tops of for anything else other then storage of a few empty boxes.

Oh yeah the sub fits nicely in the corner behind my monitor and is being used as a lamp stand, so what else am I gonna put back there... more empty boxes?

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Headphones... yea, those are for gaming...

I'm talking about full on entertainment center here... movies, blurays, live tv streaming, etc... you dont use headphones for that, its sacrilege!

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts

I'm talking about full on entertainment center here... movies, blurays, live tv streaming, etc... you dont use headphones for that, its sacrilege!
Because for the price of a half decent 5.0/5.1 PC speakers you've got 2.1 system that crushes these toys in every aspect.

·
To The Game
7,617 Posts

Put together a proper ht system. A/v receiver, speakers and sub. Isn't going to be cheap but if you buy around black Friday you should be able to come out with a good setup at a reasonable price. If money is an issue, then start with a 2.1 system and build up from there. A decent 2.1 ht setup should destroy any pc speakers you'd buy.

·
Rig Advisor
1,963 Posts
If you have the space it works out nicely. Actually helps fill the room.

Attachments

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because for the price of a half decent 5.0/5.1 PC speakers you've got 2.1 system that crushes these toys in every aspect.
A decent 2.1 ht setup should destroy any pc speakers you'd buy.
Yeah, I'm noticing that with the newer 2.1 sets out there...

I may end up just replacing the whole thing with something like Logitechs Z333 set... at least that one is more economical when comparing price per wattage with what I already have.

Wife would certainly be thrilled to no longer have one of my rear satellites sitting over her desk behind me.

·
To The Game
7,617 Posts
Yeah, I'm noticing that with the newer 2.1 sets out there...

I may end up just replacing the whole thing with something like Logitechs Z333 set... at least that one is more economical when comparing price per wattage with what I already have.

Wife would certainly be thrilled to no longer have one of my rear satellites sitting over her desk behind me.
If you're set on pc speakers then check out edifier. I've heard a lot of good things about them,

Edifier R1280T
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA

Edifier R1280DB
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280DB-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0719C132V

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Because hdmi made it a lot easier to just hook your PC up to receiver, and there are not a lot of people who would bother with surround just for their PC if their PC isn't part of their home theater

1 - 13 of 13 Posts