Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I love ATI video cards, as well as Nvidia just alike, I am pretty much exhausted with the piss poor customer service offered by most ATI partners; HIS, Diamond, Visiontek, etc. Sapphire wasn't too bad, but I need to send a GPU in for RMA, and when a company won't display a physical phone number on their site, or you have to hunt for it, this discourages me.

We pay hundreds of dollars for products that will usually be outmatched by the year after, yet and still these companies choose not to have a staff and protocols in place for people that need help.

People can say what they want about Nvidia GPUs, but one thing that is undeniable is their service is far more superior than ATI's; in fact if XFX or Asus didn't make GPUs for ATI now, they would really have no reputable grounds.

After 2 weeks I finally talked to someone from HIS support, and Diamond has yet to respond to my ticket after 5 days. Funny thing about HIS support: You have to APPLY for a RMA number before you can send it in. Let's not forget that their turnaround time is 2-4 weeks. Not 7-10 business days like BFG, or immediate turnaround like EVGA.

My interest for products goes far beyond benchmarks and overclocking ability, I look for value and service, and frankly ATI's partners just don't cut it for $300+ of my money. I'll just wait for Fermi now I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
I guess my first question is why so many RMA's? Also, almost every PC hardware company is like that. Try RMAing a DFI mobo. I agree that the CS of many of those companies is bad, but it is more accurate to say that EVGA/XFX etc. are just that much better. the poor CS is par for the course, unfortunately. (also, immediate turn around from EVGA requires payment and a refund, right? and, don't they ALL require prior autho for RMA?)

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,535 Posts
next time, chose a better manufacturer, xfx is the only gpu manufacturer i use. bad experiences with asus, bfg, sapphire and his have proven me to chose xfx as they take care of customers with a decent amount of respect and courage.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
There are problem brands for both sides of the orchard, though i admit ATI has less choice in good brands. Sapphire, Asus, and XFX are about the only really good ones for us. But i'm very pleased with Sapphire so far, haven't tried XFX's red side, nor Asus.

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb View Post
I guess my first question is why so many RMA's? Also, almost every PC hardware company is like that. Try RMAing a DFI mobo. I agree that the CS of many of those companies is bad, but it is more accurate to say that EVGA/XFX etc. are just that much better. the poor CS is par for the course, unfortunately. (also, immediate turn around from EVGA requires payment and a refund, right? and, don't they ALL require prior autho for RMA?)
I actually bought a card from someone and it had arrived DOA. The other one, I just don't know what the heck happened with it. Just has a flashing red light on the back.

And yes some require proof of purchase but not all. My Sapphire got repaired just by paying a $15 processing fee. My BFG 8800GTS I bought off ebay didn't require proof. Asus, doesn't give a shizzzz. I don't even think EVGA needs proof, especially because they have so many warranty levels you can buy upon registering the card. However, you usually provide the invoice information while registering the card, not during the RMA.

Edit: Foxconn isn't bad with service either. Send out a bad Bloodrage, and they sent a brand new one in box back within 2 weeks. Just ask Raiden911 how satisfied he is with that

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadSkull View Post
Consider getting a UPS / surge protector or an apc voltage regulator.

Power surges/dips and bad PSUs can kill pc components really fast.
A quality PSU is already a voltage regulator.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,535 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht View Post
There are problem brands for both sides of the orchard, though i admit ATI has less choice in good brands. Sapphire and XFX are about the only really good ones for us. But i'm very pleased with Sapphire so far, haven't tried XFX's red side.
sapphire has a nasty little secret tho, once they plan on removing charges for RMA's and deal with people that buy 500 dollar or more priced gpus (when they have a question why a 4870x2 doesnt even bring a signal new in the package), i may try them again

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
I've owned over 20 different GPUs in the past couple years, and the only problems I have ever had were with used GPUs. If you have had the need for a lot of RMAs, I think there is some other faulty component in your system, or you have dirty power. Or, you are OCing beyond a reasonable means, and if that is indeed the case, RMAs are going to be a constant with either brand.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
yeah, i will say that i have had bad experiences with visiontek before, but it goes for other reputable companies like evga. Man, i have had to send back a 780i, and a 750i ftw. I have never had to send in their gpu's, but still 2 mobo's from them? i have never had to rma any other brands mobo before. So, all i will say is that it goes both ways man, you can have bad experiences, but i may have good ones so its really only your experience you can speak for.

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
I tried HIS and it was fail especially here in Canada for my 4850. For my 7600GT with eVGA it was excellent but long waiting time. With Patriot for my 4GB DDR2 i was the best one so far. I am going to get a XFX 5970 this time around but Sapphire cards are rock solid and i might get that.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post
sapphire has a nasty little secret tho, once they plan on removing charges for RMA's and deal with people that buy 500 dollar or more priced gpus (when they have a question why a 4870x2 doesnt even bring a signal new in the package), i may try them again

Definitely know not to recommend them for high end then.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
ATI: XFX > Saphhire > All Others
NVIDIA: eVGA > BFG > XFX > All Others

From what i've seen anyway. You shouldn't have to RMA cards though.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Strange!

I got an RMA number from HIS for a 4850 Iceq in 6 hrs. Returned the card the next day and received a new one in 8 days!!

XFX has always sucked for me!

·
Registered
590 Posts
My XFX experience so far.

[ 11/22/2009 11:16:34 AM] When I purchased my video card it did not come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Since my card can pass audio over the DVI to HDMI adapter only through a special adapter I`m in a pickle. None of the after market adapters will support this option and I can`t find a replacement adapter. Can you please let me know if XFX can send me an adapter or point me to where I can find one. I thought it was pretty crappy that the package only included a DVI to VGA adapter. Every other card I`ve bought comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter.
[ 11/22/2009 11:16:45 AM]
[RYAN 11/24/2009 1:29:25 AM] Please let us know the best address to use for shipping and we will get the proper adapter out to you. Take care, Ryan
[ 11/24/2009 8:51:31 PM] {Name and Address here} Huntington Beach, CA 92647 Thank you very much for the prompt reply Ryan. It`s good to see that some companies still believe in customer service. It`s the little things that get companies loyal customers.

We'll see how long it takes to get here.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The only "bad" company I've delt with has been visiontek in video cards(steelseries is worst IMHO). They were jackasses when I talked to them. But with every other company give them a call instead of a support email ticket, its usually MUCH faster and if you talk nicely to them they will go out of your way to help you out.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
try XFX before writing ATI off entirely.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I never liked XFX, as I always believed they were more Nvidia based than ATi based.
From what I've seen/lived:
ATi: Sapphire > Diamond > HIS > eVGA > XFX > Others in no particular order

1 - 20 of 41 Posts