Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that EVGA is rather neutral in regards to this generation. It seems both MSI and Gigabyte have outdone anything EVGA has put to the market. EVGA seems to be riding on there Lifetime warranty and top notch Customer service, Kudos to them for that. It just kills me to see them sitting idle with reference designs while it's competitors are producing better cooling cards and improving the reference PCB(gigabyte SOC). If I had to buy a Fermi right now It would be the Gigabyte SOC. I purchased a EVGA GTX 470SC+ and paid the same price that the gigabyte model retails for.

I was wondering what you guys think is going to happen in the graphic card space, do you think that MSI and Gigabyte will eventually become top tier Nvidia card makers. So far they seem to be producing impressive cards. It's saddens me that EVGA has not bother to excerpt that same amount of effort.

Also it has come to my attention that there is a misconception with fermi and EVGA. People think that EVGA does all this selective binning, however there seems to be no evidence to back this up and is most likely derived from the 2xxx generation where actual binning did take place. Vanilla GTX 4XXX cards over-clock just as good as so called binned SC+ cards.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
EVGA does have a External Exhaust heatsink design (not as good as reference in a cool case though).

MSI and Gigabyte do not nearly have as good as technical support or customer service. When you call EVGA, you get either an EVGA employee or an overclocking enthusist working for EVGA.

EVGA does do binning... here's some pics of 8800GTX binning process: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...e-black-pearls

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I own some EVGA cards, but I'd much rather have an Asus or MSI. It's nice to have a warranty to offer on a card when resold and you can't really do that with EVGA. You can promise to help if they're willing to pay the extra 2 trip shipping charges, but I'd never buy a card relying on being able to get in touch with a random internet person a year from now. I'm sure most would help, but there's no guarantee he/she won't keep the new card from RMA. I tend to buy the lowest price out of all of the "good" cards, but I'd prefer MSI or Asus if all else is equal. I'm not impressed with EVGA in the slightest.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I've always been an EVGA fan, but I can't justify going to them in this generation of cards. I don't know why they're so afraid of non-reference cooling. If they offered a good non-reference design, I'd be all over it, and they'd have my business back.

Loving my MSI, btw.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
EVGA don't seem to bin cards as of late, and there are horror stories of their RMA process now too, along with the 2-year warranty on a number of Fermi products. Furthermore, overall their products are the most expensive here in the UK, and their support isn't that great in the EU. I would much rather prefer ASUS or Gigabyte simply because those cards tend to overclock better and warranty in most cases isn't a trouble unless you screw up your card. It seems EVGA is trying to reach different markets with all their accessories and more focus in the motherboard market. EVGA are just not innovative anymore, shame.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have never had any doubt about them binning the previous generation of cards, but i think the fermi situation has changed all that. When I purchased my SC= I payed the extra $30 for the backplate and high flow braket not because I thought i had a select binned chip.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
i can give evga kudos for the P55 FTW mobo im using, my cpu ive pushed as far as 4.8ghz on a bench, it passed ibt w/ a load temp of 75C it runs 24/7 at 4ghz though, and i see im slightly off topic.

graphics card wise, the last one i trusted was thoer 9800GTX+ which killed itself and my old asus P5N-D with it, melted completely into the slot at stock clocks.

i tried the rma, they tried to blame the same corsair psu im using now, and i havent had any problems with my xfx card, asus told me they wont rma, its evga's job to replace it, because thier card was the cause.

never ever again will i trust EVGA with my needs graphics wise.

that is all

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
evga has never done anything especially innovative because they are just a re-seller, they don't have factories (unlike the big mobo makers like gigabyte, msi, and asus) so they don't really 'make' jack squat. Eventually my guess is that they will probably go the way of BFG now that the big boys have gotten so heavily into the vga market. I doubt evga has the resources to compete with the big mobo makers in the long term, personally.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
evga has never done anything especially innovative because they are just a re-seller, they don't have factories (unlike the big mobo makers like gigabyte, msi, and asus) so they don't really 'make' jack squat. Eventually my guess is that they will probably go the way of BFG now that the big boys have gotten so heavily into the vga market. I doubt evga has the resources to compete with the big mobo makers in the long term, personally.

EVGA is the biggest NVIDIA seller in the US. With video cards, there is only so much you can do other than cooling.

EVGA does have a dedicated motherboard design team. They have been doing pretty well on enthusist motherboards since cutting their teeth on the 680i.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Eventually my guess is that they will probably go the way of BFG now that the big boys have gotten so heavily into the vga market. I doubt evga has the resources to compete with the big mobo makers in the long term, personally.

I was thinking the same thing. Plus those huge manufactures like gigabyte are able to accomplish this while maintaining a cheaper price point, which I do not think EVGA can do. If only we could have the best of both worlds, EVGA community+Support with innovative designs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
EVGA is the biggest NVIDIA seller in the US. With video cards, there is only so much you can do other than cooling.

EVGA does have a dedicated motherboard design team. They have been doing pretty well on enthusist motherboards since cutting their teeth on the 680i.
Actually it's quite impressive to see how well they have done in the High end enthusiast Mobo space having to compete with the likes of juggernauts such as ASUS. Do think in the near future they might expand there GPU division or is this not financially viable for them?

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,293 Posts
I prefer ASUS when I can get one. Or the direct Nvidia branded cards. I have an original engineering sample card, 9800GT.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
you know your not supposed to have the engineering samples right? obviously someone who works for them stole and sold it o.o

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hasn't evga always had pretty vanilla cards? All the cards I've had from them have looked pretty generic.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't forget EVGA allows in there warranty for the customer to remove the thermal paste and heatsink. Other manufactures would deny you RMA if they discovered the card has been tampered with. They cross ship, they have prompt service.

Plus they allow you within 90 days to step up to a better card.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They give me free games, which is more than enough for me. For non-reference cooling I'd rather go with a design of my own choosing and keep the stock heatsink for something else if necessary. Afterall, you pay extra for non-reference, but you don't get back the money normally spent on the stock heat sink.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
Don't forget EVGA allows in there warranty for the customer to remove the thermal paste and heatsink. Other manufactures would deny you RMA if they discovered the card has been tampered with. They cross ship, they have prompt service.

Plus they allow you within 90 days to step up to a better card.
XFX also do this, and some manufacturers don't really have a policy regarding the removal of heatsinks etc afaik, and step up really isn't that great as most people are already constricted by a budget, and EVGA products are generally priced higher than retail so it would probably be best to return it and buy the better card from a retailer.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts