Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know fear runs like crap anyway, but yesterday i was pulling off 41 fps, with some pretty high options. However, this morning, Its running at about 12fps..which isn't cool, at the same settings. The only thing I did is increased the vdimm to 2.8, where its supposed to be, and tightened the timings down to 2-2-2-6, where its supposed to be. what gives

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Loosen the RAM timings and see how that goes. Tightening it may have caused some sort of instability.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand why, because at pc3200 speeds, the ram runs at 2-2-2-6, and I'm running it at pc2700 speeds....so the timings shouldn't have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121

I don't understand why, because at pc3200 speeds, the ram runs at 2-2-2-6, and I'm running it at pc2700 speeds....so the timings shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Because F.E.A.R. is the weirdest game to get to run right.
Example:Ran fear with no aa 4x af and all other setting maxed(no soft shadows) min 20 max 99
ran fear with 2x aa 4x af and all setting maxed (except volumetric lighting which was on medium) min 25 max 110

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol ***, I can't oc to 2.7....it was unstable apparently. now I'm back up to 37fps, and I'm at 2.2.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121

Lol ***, I can't oc to 2.7....it was unstable apparently. now I'm back up to 37fps, and I'm at 2.2.

Man i think you need a proc upgrade.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMON32

Man i think you need a proc upgrade.

I think his vid card has an awful lot to do with it, better cpu wouldn't hurt either. I have the 6800GT in my rig, and it does pretty dam good with FEAR. In my gf's rig however with a 6600GT, the performance drop is quite noticeable. With mine, alot of settings are maxed and it runs great. With hers alot of low and medium settings, and it still doesn't run as good as mine. Sounds like alot of your problem too is instability, I noticed the same thing when I became just slightly unstable, my aquamark3 score dropped significantly. Aq3 is one of the only benchmarks that I bother with, cause it can give you a sense of how your 3d video performance is, and sometimes even let you know if your a bit unstable overall whether cpu or vid card oc'ing (like lower scores all of a sudden). It can actually be pretty useful.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoscoeMcGurk

I think his vid card has an awful lot to do with it, better cpu wouldn't hurt either. I have the 6800GT in my rig, and it does pretty dam good with FEAR. In my gf's rig however with a 6600GT, the performance drop is quite noticeable. With mine, alot of settings are maxed and it runs great. With hers alot of low and medium settings, and it still doesn't run as good as mine. Sounds like alot of your problem too is instability, I noticed the same thing when I became just slightly unstable, my aquamark3 score dropped significantly.

After thinking about what i posted i remembered in the F.E.A.R. booklet it says to upgrade you gfx card before anything however you beat me to it,Good job.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to upgrade my graphics card...9600se wasn't cool. and my pc will pull off high stuff except for sounds in computer options, and in graphics card options, it'll do high everything except for texture res and reflections, which are on medium, and aa. It does 4x af, and it looks very nice at 1024x768(what I run all my games on)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Too bad your stuck on a 478 proc ch13f if you had a 775 you could sli that 6600gt and see a HUGE jump in performance even with the worst 775.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting a 775 rig soon, but not now, maybe in may or so.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMON32

Too bad your stuck on a 478 proc ch13f if you had a 775 you could sli that 6600gt and see a HUGE jump in performance even with the worst 775.

The vid card is much more important. I've seen people with better cpu's than mine with 6600GT's with quite a bit lower aquamark3 scores than me, 775, dual core, it doesn't matter what. I get about 74,000 in aq3. My gf's rig with comparable cpu and everything but a 6600GT gets about 62-63,000. I don't think 775 means a whole lot for gaming, maybe some, but what vid card you have is by far the biggest factor. Of course you at least need a decent cpu behind it as well. The only weakness I see with 478 is that they won't release the better vid cards now on agp, and it's not because of any bottleneck with agp, it's marketing and them wanting you to buy an entire new system. Even someone with the best cpu around, if they had a 6600GT or lower, mine would still game better.

At the moment though there's no game I can't play, maybe not the highest on all settings, but pretty darn good though. If I put in a 7800GS, it would be even a little better. Still debating that one though, to get the 7800, and be good for a little longer than I otherwise would be, or just wait for a year and get a new system with pci-e. Maybe it will depend on the games that come out, and how my 6800GT does on them. Right now though it's just fine.

-edit, I hadn't really looked at many benchmarks for the 7800GS compared to a 6800GT, but now I've looked and it seems not worth it over my current card. I thought the performance gap was a little more, but now I see that the 7800GS isn't much of a jump up, the margin is actually pretty small. Small enough to make $300 not worth it at all anyway IMO, although maybe worth it for a 6600GT user.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoscoeMcGurk

The vid card is much more important. I've seen people with better cpu's than mine with 6600GT's with quite a bit lower aquamark3 scores than me, 775, dual core, it doesn't matter what. I get about 74,000 in aq3. My gf's rig with comparable cpu and everything but a 6600GT gets about 62-63,000. I don't think 775 means a whole lot for gaming, maybe some, but what vid card you have is by far the biggest factor. Of course you at least need a decent cpu behind it as well. The only weakness I see with 478 is that they won't release the better vid cards now on agp, and it's not because of any bottleneck with agp, it's marketing and them wanting you to buy an entire new system. Even someone with the best cpu around, if they had a 6600GT or lower, mine would still game better.

At the moment though there's no game I can't play, maybe not the highest on all settings, but pretty darn good though. If I put in a 7800GS, it would be even a little better. Still debating that one though, to get the 7800, and be good for a little longer than I otherwise would be, or just wait for a year and get a new system with pci-e. Maybe it will depend on the games that come out, and how my 6800GT does on them. Right now though it's just fine.

I meant that if he had 775 he could up his vid card alot, my earlier post suggested that i was wrong when i said that he really only needed a proc upgrade.I also didn't think about the fact that he only has agp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts