Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone says that intel is faster than AMD processors, but why? i look at the specs and cant see why there is such a difference in price and performance, why ?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
There are lots of benchmarks comparison that proves Intel is faster (not to mention power efficiency). When you get a chance, there is a benchmark section in this forum.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Architectural differences.

Inside the little silver chip are these little hamsters that build cities. Some hamsters use strong pillars yet some hamsters use crappy pillars-- The difference between Intel and AMD.

But in reality it IS differences in architecture. See some benchmarks .

·
Still on Sandy Bridge
1,375 Posts
You should read up some on this stuff. There is a lot more to consider than cores and clock speeds.

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arslay View Post

Inside the little silver chip are these little hamsters that build cities. Some hamsters use strong pillars yet some hamsters use crappy pillars-- The difference between Intel and AMD.

hahaha sigging this.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9127 View Post

everyone says that intel is faster than AMD processors, but why? i look at the specs and cant see why there is such a difference in price and performance, why ?
Why is a Ferrari faster than Yugo? According to the specs, they both have 4 wheels and an engine.

To understand the differences, you have to look beyond the high-level specs.

For example, a 1.2GHz ARM CPU is still beaten by a 0.8 GHz Sandy Bridge CPU in performance.

·
Laptop Gamer
978 Posts
Money. Lot's and lot's of money.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule928 View Post

Mostly memory management. Intel is far superior.
Not just much, much higher memory bandwidth, but the massively faster caches, lower latencies, much shorter pipelines, etc.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, the cpus are made differently, thats why. Those hamsters might have something to do with it as well though
tongue.gif

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arslay View Post

Bwaaa haa haa haa.... good one!

I love analogies to explain why stuff works/don't work. LOL

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Clock isn't everything. Each processor has sets of instructions. The less clocks per instruction, the more efficient it is per clock.

It is by executing these instructions that the processor is able to do work. In home desktops, generally, it's x86 or x86_64 instructions with the added SSE-SSE4, etc.

Intel's design is able to execute more instructions with the same clock cycles, so therefore, is faster than AMD at the same exact clock.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Plan and simple. Intel is like a 4 cylinder EFI engine with a turbo making 400hp and gets 40mpg(2500k). AMD is a V8 carburated 1950 style engine making 300hp and gets 15mpg(FX FX-8150). They both are prices within each other. You tell me which one is more efficient? In the world of CPU's more doesn't always mean better. A better architecture is what AMD needs. Get away from that "more is better" and get into per core efficiency and price/performance. IMO, They had it right with the Phenom II/Athlon II.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

You give the AMD fanboys a bad reputation
I agree. Performance is what matters, brand does not.
Lol that guy's funny. Maybe he's butthurt because he can't afford an Intel.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce1971 View Post

Money. Lot's and lot's of money.
That's actually a valid statement. Intel has a lot more market share, they spend more on research and development = superior products and better performance per clock than AMD.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Did the OP change his post or something, because I'm reading a lot of people telling him, "You shouldn't have taken the 'more clocks be better' idea."

1 - 20 of 85 Posts