Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valve usually takes a while to release new games (TF2) so that makes me wonder why L4D2 is already announced to come out. Seems like more companies are releasing slightly different games (Halo 3:ODST) at full $60 price tags.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm going to say it's because they had enough extra content to warrant a new title rather than just updates/patches. I'll trust valves judgment on this, considering they said after l4d's release they saw a lot of areas to improve upon and whatnot.

In before boycotters.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheCinema View Post
I'm going to say it's because they had enough extra content to warrant a new title rather than just updates/patches. I'll trust valves judgment on this, considering they said after l4d's release they saw a lot of areas to improve upon and whatnot.

In before boycotters.
im going to have to agree with you on this. At first when it was announced that L4D2 was going to be coming out exactly one year after L4D came out, i was pissed, because i thought that the game's design couldn't warrant a sequel, especially since the campaigns in L4D get so boring, i thought valve was just being greedy. But after reading up, and hearing a lot about what valve is doing with the game, its hard to stay mad, and i mean we are talking about valve, of all the companies to ever get angry towards, valve is certainly at the bottom of that list

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Well I finished l4d in one day the game was very short. Im happy that they are releasing a second. the sooner the better.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
such an intuitive question, i wonder why noone has asked before

·
Registered
518 Posts
All Valve's games use the source engine, so none were really that time-consuming to make. And since L4D2 is really just new content, it's very simple and easy for Valve to make and sell for full price, instead of just giving for free to L4D owners.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post
Well I finished l4d in one day the game was very short. Im happy that they are releasing a second. the sooner the better.
You can never finish a multiplayer game!

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
It's popular and they want to capitalize on it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuddersup View Post
All Valve's games use the source engine, so none were really that time-consuming to make. And since L4D2 is really just new content, it's very simple and easy for Valve to make and sell for full price, instead of just giving for free to L4D owners.
Edit: Realized trying to make a general statement might turn this into a flame war, so I'll rephrase.

Games re-use the same engine all the time, and are hardly ever free. When they add a new campaign to any game, as well as other content like weapons and the likes, they're going to charge full price. There's no reason to give the game free to people owning the predecessor when they're adding a lot to the game.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheCinema View Post
Shouldn't I be getting MW:2 for free too then? It looks exactly the same (I'm going to assume it's the same engine being recycled, nothing wrong with that though), with a tiny bit of added content and a new campaign.

All I'm trying to say is this happens all the time to games, but it hardly ever warrants a boycott group until Valve does it. Not implying you are in that boycott group of course, just rather making a broad statement.
No, I agree with you. Well actually I don't know how different MW2 is, but most games nowadays are recycled and overpriced.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post
Theirs no such thing as "finishing" the game in one day. Its a online versus/Survival game. Its like saying you beat Counter strike in one weekend

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

Theirs no such thing as "finishing" the game in one day. Its a online versus/Survival game. Its like saying you beat Counter strike in one weekend

Watchu talkin about? I beat CS in a day!

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not quite like CS or TF2 though, it's a coop game where you play through different campaigns but they are somewhat randomly generated. It's pretty much in it's own sub-genre.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts