Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased the EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5 card and I'm getting a score of around 330 when I use Heaven benchmark. My old card was the AMD Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 and I got a score of 415. Why is this happening? I updated all the drivers.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIH View Post

Hi,

I just purchased the EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5 card and I'm getting a score of around 330 when I use Heaven benchmark. My old card was the AMD Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 and I got a score of 415. Why is this happening? I updated all the drivers.
R7 260X iirc is comparable to 750Ti so the 740 is simply a weaker card. It seems you have downgraded.

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im a big newb when it comes to graphics cards so even though I have double the GDDR5 i still downgraded? that doesnt make much sense to me.

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,607 Posts
Read my first link I posted you above.
They compare all features on both GPu and conclude about Radeon is better.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,619 Posts
Quote:

Im a big newb when it comes to graphics cards so even though I have double the GDDR5 i still downgraded? that doesnt make much sense to me.
Double the vram doesn't mean anything until you're using high detail settings and resolutions.

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,607 Posts
Memory is not the only parameter to consider, especially if you use benchmarks or games which don't require so much VRAM.
You have to consider GPU frequency, texture rates, shadow units, etc....

And the Radeon seems much better

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post

Memory is not the only parameter to consider, especially if you use benchmarks or games which don't require so much VRAM.
You have to consider GPU frequency, texture rates, shadow units, etc....

And the Radeon seems much better
Wow alright I learned my lesson I guess. Thanks alot all of you!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:

Wow alright I learned my lesson I guess. Thanks alot all of you!
Stop buying little puny cards. I used to do this in my younger days. Save your money, be patient, sign up for ads from computer stores, and wait. One day that card will come calling and you will have the cash. Downgrading is wasting money. Sorry it happened. I learned the hard way too once...

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I first started building, I just wanted a card that would run "world in conflict". I started off with a GT440. When that didn't cut it, I got a 550ti, then a 660ti, then SLI 660ti,then 760 SLI, then 770 SLI, then 780, the 970 SLI, then 980 SLI, and now finally I'm rocking a Titan x. This is an addicting hobby when you want perfection. As to being disappointed on your benchmark score, don't bench with lower tier cards, cuz all its going to do is get you wanting a higher card
smile.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts