Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed water cooling for my cpu. Its a Q6700. Im getting 46 degrees at idle from Coretemp. I havnt tried running it under 100% load due to the fact that im afraid of the temperatures jumping into the mid 60s again and perhaps beyond.

I just reseated it today. I used the line method with the grease and i did the clock and counter clock with the waterblock at about 3 degrees. to remove bubbling. So the seat is good. I just dont know what to do next to bring the temp down.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
For whatever reason, Extremes actually seem to be running hotter than Q6600's.

However, with water, 46c idle is kinda ridiculous. Did you use too much TIM perhaps?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i def got the seating and thermal quantity right. I did it 3 times. and every time i got about the same results. I used about a grain of rice in thickness across the chip just as the arctic silver website suggests.

The bigwater was def a mistake.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
It's the bigwater lol. The only decent watercooling from Thermaltake is the Tidewater, and that can take a few mods to increase performance straight out of the box.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi IIJohnnyII,

Pardon me for asking, but did you lap the your CPU's heat spreader? The heat spreader on the Q6600 I have was really concave before lapping. Put against a flat surface it would only make contact around the edges before it was lapped. And the CPU cores only touches the heat spreader in the center, which would make for a really unhappy combination....

Hope you get things sorted out.

Elwood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.