Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My average last month was about 3200ppd now I am sitting at 2400ppd. They have been sending out tons of the bad 1920point jobs and 2165 point jobs. They both take close to a day, the problem is that the good 1920s take about 11 hours for me and 1760 about 12 hours. Why should I only get 2165 points for a job that take 23 hours. Even the 3340 pointers are worth more. Why can't they make the jobs fair in points, the 2165's should be more like 3400 point, and the bad 1920's should be closer to 3100 points.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemans81
View Post

My average last month was about 3200ppd now I am sitting at 2400ppd. They have been sending out tons of the bad 1920point jobs and 2165 point jobs. They both take close to a day, the problem is that the good 1920s take about 11 hours for me and 1760 about 12 hours. Why should I only get 2165 points for a job that take 23 hours. Even the 3340 pointers are worth more. Why can't they make the jobs fair in points, the 2165's should be more like 3400 point, and the bad 1920's should be closer to 3100 points.

Out with the old and in with the new my friend. I read some where that Stanford has found GPU folding to be more productive, hence the switch. Soon SMP will be just like the old uniprocessor clients, outdated.

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would really suck, and would cause me to quit folding. I can't afford the massive electrical bill that gpu vs cpu does. I can't afford boards with 3-4 x16 slots. I guess thats just the way it is, sad.

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its everyone who is cpu folding, rather than give us the new jobs they give us ancient ones with horrible points. I am guessing maybe to make us upgrade to gpu, which is the stupidest thing ever. I mean thats like saying "I know you want to donate $5 but we no longer accept $5 as $5, we will count it as $2, but if you get us a $10 then we can count that as $10." Donating is donating, why reduce the point even further. Its not like cpu folding has become less effective, its just gpu folding is more effective. So cpu should become stagnant not less, and gpu should be more. This isn't smart, I hear more and more bad things around about the clients making people mad, and how stanford hands out points. I mean they have a great thing going for them, they should try to keep the masses happy.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
I had a 1760 not send due to "Missing_work_files" again

Just when I get the rig back up and running too!

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post
Yeah its everyone who is cpu folding, rather than give us the new jobs they give us ancient ones with horrible points. I am guessing maybe to make us upgrade to gpu, which is the stupidest thing ever. I mean thats like saying "I know you want to donate $5 but we no longer accept $5 as $5, we will count it as $2, but if you get us a $10 then we can count that as $10." Donating is donating, why reduce the point even further. Its not like cpu folding has become less effective, its just gpu folding is more effective. So cpu should become stagnant not less, and gpu should be more. This isn't smart, I hear more and more bad things around about the clients making people mad, and how stanford hands out points. I mean they have a great thing going for them, they should try to keep the masses happy.
As I see it, Stanford had two options: Either massively increase the scores GPU's were getting, or decrease the CPU score. The GPU's are simply a ton more productive, and that is reflected on the overall scores.

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you think that I am talking about since the cuda core was used. I am talking in the last 10-12 days.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
how i see it, stanford doen't have to increas GPU scores because they get a crap load a day anyway. they should still atleast optimize SMP instead of leaving it in the gutter like they've been doing. i feel stanford has become way too arrogant/stuck up about their project that they don't really care about how their users feel.

though, lemans, you could try making a thread at their forum and see if you can bring up this topic.

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy
View Post

how i see it, stanford doen't have to increas GPU scores because they get a crap load a day anyway. they should still atleast optimize SMP instead of leaving it in the gutter like they've been doing. i feel stanford has become way too arrogant/stuck up about their project that they don't really care about how their users feel.

though, lemans, you could try making a thread at their forum and see if you can bring up this topic.

I don't even have an account I don't think, somehow I doubt they want to hear someone complain on their first post.

·
Iconoclast
30,646 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That would really suck, and would cause me to quit folding.

So you're only folding for points?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I don't even have an account I don't think, somehow I doubt they want to hear someone complain on their first post.

Then make your first post a "
" followed by a legitimate double post

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

No, but thats like my prize, and when they say "your not folding with what we want so were taking away your prize...do it for less or free until you spend money and do it the way we want" that makes me wonder if they really need my help. Also I fold because they appreciate it, or are supposed to. If they make it so I can't compete at all that sucks.

What do I know maybe its just a bunch of bad jobs for someones project, I hope thats all it is.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
When my X86 client started acting crazy and not updating, I shut it down. GPU still going strong. Guess I will have to keep my cores loaded with BOINC. See my sig.

·
Overclocker
4,180 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

It's not about the points. But when you are in a team it's just for fun. And with these long project and using the rig for surfing,playing game or being here. It slows down the work. These 26xx and 51xx don't even use 100 % of the cpu like they use too.

I was getting 90k a month. Now I be lucky if I reach 80k.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
It would be nice if [email protected] was a little easier, a bit more user friendly I suppose.

How difficult would it be for it to just read your device manager and allow you to select what you want to fold on? 4 cores? Done! 2 GPUs in crossfire? Done! That GPU sitting on your desk not even plugged in? <<activate operation hope\\\\hope\\cardpower\\powered up>> DONE!

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Quote:

Donating is donating
Exactly.

Quote:

No, but thats like my prize, and when they say "your not folding with what we want so were taking away your prize...do it for less or free until you spend money and do it the way we want" that makes me wonder if they really need my help. Also I fold because they appreciate it, or are supposed to. If they make it so I can't compete at all that sucks.

What do I know maybe its just a bunch of bad jobs for someones project, I hope thats all it is.
Not to be offensive, but I cant think of any other way to say this.. quit being so self-centered... you arent the only one this effects, so everyone else who is 'competing' has suffered the same loss. Even GPU folders recently got hit hard with a bunch of high WU units, and yeah, it was insulting, but the point is that stanford needed those WUs as they related more to biology than the other useless proteins that were being folded... what was the point to completing all that work by hundreds of thousands of people around the globe if it was all useless, so they adapted... perhaps they are doing the same here. If donating is donating, but you feel you are being robbed of your reward, perhaps you can reassure yourself by looking around and seeing the other 200000 people who are also being robbed and take some comfort that at least its not done exclusively to you as a form of isolation, or to single you out.

And who knows, maybe these new WUs are for someones project like you said.. nobody here knows anything on what stanford does or wants to do except for what they release when they are about to do it.

·
Overclocker
4,180 Posts
I really just doing it for the cause. Having a family member suffering from a sickness is my main reason and hopefully it will help someone one day.
The team part is just for fun. It doesn't matter what I get. I just let it be and fold on.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Oh, some of those work units definitely seem to not give enough points. But the Pande Group is amenable to re-benchmarking them. They've done it before and increased the points for certain WUs. Post your WU on the foldingforum.org and see what happens.

·
lol "New to Overclock.net
943 Posts
Being in a team (overclock.net) makes me want to process more WU's so I can get more points... The stronger the competition, the more I can donate... I have fun while helping others... Now if only my job were like that

1 - 20 of 47 Posts