Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..and why did it peak a decade ago? I would have thought the opposite would occur in a genre that depends on graphics and realism the most.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is the era of instant gratification. People just want to jump into a game quickly and get achievements, not pilot a 8 hour flight in real time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
MS Flight Simulator might be dead (in terms of new development) but the genre is far from dead.

see Rise of Flight or the Eagle Dynamics DCS series for example.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Too much realism.

Same reason why Ace Combat or HAWX succeeded where Jane's Simulation games and others didn't get sequels.

But FSX still has a niche.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I still play Falcon 4.0 AF all the time

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Oh man I had Jane's ATF. Couldn't do any of the missions (wasn't even 10 then lol) but it was so awesome.

Hard as hell though. "Here are 4 AA missiles, 2 AT missiles, 2 cluster bombs and 500 bullets. Go destroy the bridge that's surrounded by 5 SAMsites, the factory defended by 6 AA gun installations. Oh and there are about 15 Su-37s in that airspace right now".

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thiru View Post
Too much realism.

Same reason why Ace Combat or HAWX succeeded where Jane's Simulation games and others didn't get sequels.

But FSX still has a niche.

This

I love flight, been an aircraft enthusiest my entire life, even spend time building super detailed model aircraft when i have the time but I just dont have the time to spend learning all 1200 commands in Falcon 4.0, believe me I have tried, I just dont have the patience, I would rather hop into hawx, do some absurd maneuvers, whistle the top gun sound track and not have to worry if suddenly my son needs juice and I have to get up, o well I might get shot down and respawn instantly. My favorite of all time is Strike Commander, it made some attempts at realism, but it didnt take 2 years of practice to feel confident.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vdek View Post
I still play Falcon 4.0 AF all the time

god, loved that game..so into new @#$% i forgot all about.. im on the hunt for it now... thanks

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nil405 View Post
god, loved that game..so into new @#$% i forgot all about.. im on the hunt for it now... thanks
Heck I have Falcon 4 Allied assult (I think thats what it is called) and IL2 the complete package collecting dust, think I might just throw them in the freebee section.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Flight Sims aren't really dead... DCS A-10 just hit, and I still see people playing IL-2 Collection and MS Flight Sim of course.

There just a slow market, and most of them are so under the radar you gotta dig deep or be involved in the Flight Sim community to know all the titles.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
still loving me some CFS3, nothing like tumbling a Spitfire over the channel
CFS3 was a big disappointment for me. I hate the fisheye distortion of the external views. I loved CFS2 and spent many an hour playing it. CFS3 never hooked me though.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Space sim > flight sim.

Both are dead anyways.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
Cos its Dead Boring.
For you maybe, but some people find it very interesting. Those people would probably find things like HAWX boring and annoying after about 5 mins. Personally I cant get into flight sims, but I do a lot of sim racing.

Flight sims have the same issue that racing sims do, its a niche market as most people just want to jump into a game and play it whenever - they want more causal games with instant gratification. However for those who enjoy them, nothing else will do.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
For space sim there is X3: TC and R. Not sure how that compares to the classics though, haven't played them.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
what they reallly need to do is bring back the space fighter genre. WING COMMANDER FTW!!!
Privateer!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts