Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Is it the same project number? Some WU's don't stress the GPU as much and run cooler in general. If it's a difference on the same project number that'll be the first I've heard of that.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by AvgWhiteGuy View Post
Is it the same project number? Some WU's don't stress the GPU as much and run cooler in general. If it's a difference on the same project number that'll be the first I've heard of that.
i'm not exactly sure. but all of the WU's ive got in the console client havent gotten my GPU past 73c whereas in the viewer it gets to like 85c.

also interesting bit of information: in the console client, i can run a really high overclock but in the viewer i have to downclock a good amount.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I've never heard that before either. Could go back to a difference in WU's though. I have a GTX260 that used to fold at 1728 shader clock and did fine. Stanford released a couple of new WU's and it would kill the client and I had to back it off. Might be a similar deal here with GPU3. There would have to be some time spent on gathering information to really know for sure though.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

I've never heard that before either. Could go back to a difference in WU's though. I have a GTX260 that used to fold at 1728 shader clock and did fine. Stanford released a couple of new WU's and it would kill the client and I had to back it off. Might be a similar deal here with GPU3. There would have to be some time spent on gathering information to really know for sure though.
i've done 19 WU's so far in the console client, and i havent encountered an overclocking issue.

Perhaps we should have everybody try an overclock that was unsucessful in the viewer and apply it in the console client.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Is it 15° cooler than the systray client with viewer open, or just the systray client minimised?

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

I always use the console client.
I never was a fan of the systray client.
console client FTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
Is it 15° cooler than the systray client with viewer open, or just the systray client minimised?
systray client minimized.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,109 Posts
I have never noticed this. I used to always use the system tray client. I now use the console client on my dedicated folding machines. Same old temperatures.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3 View Post
I have never noticed this. I used to always use the system tray client. I now use the console client on my dedicated folding machines. Same old temperatures.
if you fold on your sig rig then your problem is the 9800GX2..cooling for it was never good. lol

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post
if you fold on your sig rig then your problem is the 9800GX2..cooling for it was never good. lol
It runs in the mid 60s. Both of mine do. I have also not noticed a difference on the 8800/9800 GTs, 8800 GTS, GTX 480, or GTX 295 that I have folded on.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3 View Post
It runs in the mid 60s. Both of mine do.
huh. nice.

well, i dont know why i'm cooler in console client than in the viewer with it closed, but i'm not complaining. i can overclock higher and stay cooler.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss View Post
NOOB ALERT

How would one setup the console client for GPU3?
It is interesting how they dont have it on their normal high performance client download page...

Download it from here:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14671
(get the vista console client... works for 7)

And I am pretty sure all you need to do is run it and it will ask you for your username + team info, etc...

And don't worry about being a noob... we all start at some point

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Yep and you can create a shortcut to the executable on the desktop and add your flags. Right click the shortcut and go to properties and add them in at the end of the "Target" line. It's pretty simple though it can sound complicated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks guys!

To get back on topic, I'm gonna have to go ahead and AGREE with OP on the temps. I use to be around 41-44c while folding via the systray GPU3 client, I'm now at 34c and same PPD!

Am I going crazy?

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss
View Post

NOOB ALERT

How would one setup the console client for GPU3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss
View Post

Thanks guys!

To get back on topic, I'm gonna have to go ahead and AGREE with OP on the temps. I use to be around 41-44c while folding via the systray GPU3 client, I'm now at 34c and same PPD!

Am I going crazy?

no, for some reason the console client dosent stress the GPU as much but it gives the same amount of PPD so you can overclock more

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post
no, for some reason the console client dosent stress the GPU as much but it gives the same amount of PPD so you can overclock more

I'm getting 300 more PPD then what I usually get. Could be because of a different project or because the console kicks ass.

My temp on my OC'ed 470 is at 36c. Unbelievable.

ZOMG I FORGOT TO MENTION THE MOST AMAZING THING THAT HAS HAPPENED FROM THIS CONSOLE CLIENT!

NO MORE HIGH PITCH SQUEALING!

Sparky you da' man!

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss View Post
I'm getting 300 more PPD then what I usually get. Could be because of a different project or because the console kicks ass.

My temp on my OC'ed 470 is at 36c. Unbelievable.

ZOMG I FORGOT TO MENTION THE MOST AMAZING THING THAT HAS HAPPENED FROM THIS CONSOLE CLIENT!

NO MORE HIGH PITCH SQUEALING!

Sparky you da' man!

no problem, think i'm gonna make a thread advocating the console client.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Do it.

Side convo: How high can the 470 get in an OC? How much voltage would I need for 900 core or is that putting to much pressure on it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts