Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a friends house yesterday to test streaming on his fiber he gets 33 down and 8 up. but i tested it with my PS4 and it was only getting 13.6 down and 3.4 up. so i tested with an Ethernet cable and it got 12.1 down and 2.1 up.
headscratch.gif
this doesn't make sense to me. I tested on my old Galaxy note 2 and got solid 32 down and 7.9 up. is my PS4 broken or something?

I chopped it up as bad readings and tried to stream some GTA while i did a heist and the video on twitch looks super pixelated just like it does on my home connection and i only have 1 up. I stream from my PC all the time and its never as bad as that it can get a little grainy but thats pretty rare.

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
The same as our PS4, the speeds are absolutely horrible vs my connections actual speed.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoReaper View Post

The same as our PS4, the speeds are absolutely horrible vs my connections actual speed.
So it's normal? that's pretty disappointing. my xbox 360 gets solid 30 down and 7.3 up and its 6 years old now. I guess if i plan to stream i got to get a capture card and stream from my computer.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
The ps4 speed test doesn't seem reliable in my experience. From one test to another its not always consistent. My guess is the servers on sonys end aren't always up to snuff. Especially around the time ps4 came out the download speeds were awful.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

so i tested with an Ethernet cable and it got 12.1 down and 2.1 up
Was the Ethernet on a 100mb hub or 1000mb?

I mean, in theory Wifi could be faster than ethernet...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nope, Wi-fi should never be "faster" than Ethernet unless your Ethernet connection goes through an ancient hub in which case you need to upgrade to a switch.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

I was at a friends house yesterday to test streaming on his fiber he gets 33 down and 8 up. but i tested it with my PS4 and it was only getting 13.6 down and 3.4 up. so i tested with an Ethernet cable and it got 12.1 down and 2.1 up.
headscratch.gif
this doesn't make sense to me. I tested on my old Galaxy note 2 and got solid 32 down and 7.9 up. is my PS4 broken or something?

I chopped it up as bad readings and tried to stream some GTA while i did a heist and the video on twitch looks super pixelated just like it does on my home connection and i only have 1 up. I stream from my PC all the time and its never as bad as that it can get a little grainy but thats pretty rare.
From the experience I have testing the ps4 speeds etc, the ps4 will get slower speed than your pc. Sometimes using googles dns will help dl speeds 8.8.8.8 for primary and secondary is 8.8.4.4, another thing that I have noticed about downloading on the ps4 is for an example you're downloading something at say 7pm and it estimates the download to take 18 hours, you come back at 2am and it might still be 12 hours+, unlike for example the wow updater or steam updater that constantly tries to get your best speed ps4 won't. I have literally had cases like above it still saying 12 hours + I hit pause and continue and it will go from 12 hours estimated to under an hour. Also using ps4's estimated speed is funky, I have never gotten the same speed twice in a row with giant differences between tries. What I usually end up doing is just pausing the download and starting it up again until it hits on a good speed.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post

Nope, Wi-fi should never be "faster" than Ethernet unless your Ethernet connection goes through an ancient hub in which case you need to upgrade to a switch.
Some routers will run gigabit ports and 100mbit... I think to save energy and processing?

I know my Fritzbox does. One port runs full gigabit, but to have the other 3 ethernet ports run it, you have to untick an option in the software.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Personally I think the PS4's Wifi is awful, during a speedtest I get about 10Mb/s download and I have a pc next to my ps4 with a cheap wifi adapter and get about 46Mb/s download speed...

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
My PS4 Pro is maxing out my 250/250 connection just fine over 802.11ac.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts