Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally have this system together, and am green as grass when it comes to overclocking; i tried changing in the bios in extreme tweaker the cpu level up, there is only 2 options; auto or crazy, i tried crazy and my system wouldnt boot. i want to make this whole system work faster, how do i overclock my cpu? and my memory?

·
Registered
49 Posts
poke around to see if theres an option that says 'manual' this (well for me atleast) brings down list of all the things that can be tweaked maually

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
After setting the mode to Crazy.... you actually need to set your options. Crazy just means the mobo is allowing you to change settings. It's like putting a car into Drive. You still have to step on the gas and steer for it to do anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im getting somewhere now, but its saying 'unknown cpu detected. BIOS update is required to unleash its full power' but i d/l the latesst bios using the asus d/l interface in vista????

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i have (alsmost) the same bios, and if i recall correctly the other "cpu level up" levels are to get a Q9450 to Q9550 speeds, and even to Q9650, but since you`re already above those levels, you won`t get options to downgrade.

but those levels aren`t exactly right though...they give to much voltage`s (at least with my board) so you could better try to OC it manually

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i cant believe that in 2008 this is such a pain in the ass; im tired of booting and rebooting and resetting changes and getting black screens, and rebooting and rampage extreme is supposed to make it easy? lol what a joke...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Have you read of the manuals or guides? Do you know your way around a BIOS?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know my basic way around bios, im not an expert, but im a quick learner, i built this whole system and its working fine, just when i go to overclock it, it just goes to black screen on boot, or some command that prevents boot. so i dont know what im doing wrong. is there a way just to do this on the fly in windows?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
You bought a QX9770, apparently without asking anybody for advice on whether it was a good idea.

That said, since you have it, I would suggest you not use "Crazy" but instead (1) set it back to stock ("Auto") for one boot, then set it to "Manual" and start tweaking from there. First thing I'd do would be to ignore the usual OCing advice, leave the FSB alone and up the multiplier (the BIOS probably calls it CPU Ratio) from 8 to 9. Give the CPU more voltage if it wants it (it probably will).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts